Romney’s voters are not moochers or victims

Keep the faith Shady and Jerry, Romney has three debates in which to best Obama and deep pockets for ad blitzes.

When Mitt Romney at a private fundraiser dismissed all Barack Obama voters as moochers and victims—showing disdain for nearly half of the American electorate—he was speaking at the home of controversial private equity manager Marc Leder in Boca Raton on May 17, 2012. (It was Romney's second fundraising event in Boca that day.) This is evident from references made by Romney within the full video recording of the event that has been reviewed by Mother Jones.

When Mother Jones first disclosed secret video of Romney's remarks, we were obliged to not reveal details regarding the time and place of the event. That restriction has been lifted, as the story has garnered attention throughout the media.

At the fundraiser, Romney was asked how he could win in November, and he replied:

There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax…[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/09/secret-video-romney-private-fundraiser

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romney evidently thinks these 47% are the shiftless deadbeats, the perennial welfare mooches, and so on...

While that may be true for some small portion of them, it is not true for most.

Large numbers of them fall into groups like:

-retired seniors

-students

-those put out of work by the recent recession

-the working poor (those working at low-paying jobs and relying on the EITC to make ends meet, rather than going on welfare)

-veterans leaving the service and finding no jobs, and veterans on disability

It is beyond crass for Romney to characterize those paying no federal income tax as people who won't "take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

This isn't as dangerous for Romney as people are predicting, however. The reason is simple: his core voters all think they're part of the 53%.

Right now there's some occasionally-employed roofer pumping his fist in the air shouting "you tell 'em Mitt! tell those welfare queens and spoiled college kids to get off their asses and get a job!" while he waits for the phone to ring and hopes it'll be for work instead of bills.

-k

Romney evidently thinks these 47% are the shiftless deadbeats, the perennial welfare mooches, and so on...

While that may be true for some small portion of them, it is not true for most.

Large numbers of them fall into groups like:

-retired seniors

-students

-those put out of work by the recent recession

-the working poor (those working at low-paying jobs and relying on the EITC to make ends meet, rather than going on welfare)

-veterans leaving the service and finding no jobs, and veterans on disability

It is beyond crass for Romney to characterize those paying no federal income tax as people who won't "take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

This isn't as dangerous for Romney as people are predicting, however. The reason is simple: his core voters all think they're part of the 53%.

Right now there's some occasionally-employed roofer pumping his fist in the air shouting "you tell 'em Mitt! tell those welfare queens and spoiled college kids to get off their asses and get a job!" while he waits for the phone to ring and hopes it'll be for work instead of bills.

-k

Romney said no such thing at this event. He's talking about the mind set of the Obama supporter that believes in big government and entitlements. He doesn't think Obama supporters are deadbeats. Sheesh.

Is this the fake-outrage of the day today? Anyways, what Romney said is absolutely true. There's an ever-increasing number of voters that don't pay any taxes, who's existence is mostly, or soley based on government. So of course, they'll vote themselves bigger benefits, at the expense of tax payers. It's not something new, it's been going on for decades. It's just gotten larger and larger though.

The Democrats create their own constituency when they work to make more and more people dependent on the government. And in turn for this government "generosity", they receive their votes. Rinse and repeat.

Just multiply this person my several million.

I keep hearing that Barrack Hussein Obama is so good for the middle class, and lower income people. But his records shows otherwise. The middle class is shrinking under his policies. Median income has fallen from $54,000 in '09 to $50,000 this year. The dollar is pathetically weak, weaking their purchasing power. His policies make it harder for businesses to grow, making it more difficult to find jobs. Yes, he's great for the middle class. :rolleyes:

Edit: Foodstamp use has skyrocketed under Barrack Hussein Obama, particularly since the official "end" of the recession. Also, more people apply for disability than find new jobs. Yay Obama! He's good for the middle class! :lol:

Edited by Shady

He doesn't think Obama supporters are deadbeats. Sheesh.

You should try listening to what he said. You can even do it in context and still get that interpretation.

But I just don't understand how Democrats are the powerful elites who control the media and the culture while surviving on food stamps.

Romney said no such thing at this event. He's talking about the mind set of the Obama supporter that believes in big government and entitlements. He doesn't think Obama supporters are deadbeats. Sheesh.

:)

No side in these debates is utterly free from political spin and damage control.

But this one (predictably) sounds particularly desperate.

Romney said exactly what he's been accused of saying.

If we're now going to insist that it's not what he "meant"....well, that too is 100% Romney's own fault.

Edited by bleeding heart

Is this the fake-outrage of the day today? Anyways, what Romney said is absolutely true. There's an ever-increasing number of voters that don't pay any taxes, who's existence is mostly, or soley based on government. So of course, they'll vote themselves bigger benefits, at the expense of tax payers. It's not something new, it's been going on for decades. It's just gotten larger and larger though.

Bull. Shit. You know damn well that there's very few people who pay no taxes (like, less than 15%).

“My job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.”

Couldn't get your link to work kimmy, but I get what you're saying: Republican states tend to have a lot of low income people ... and a few very wealthy ones. IE, There's a high degree of income inequality.

http://visualeconsite.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/us_income_inequal_5_15_2006.jpg

I'm waiting for a response from Obama to Romney's remarks. Looks like he's taking his time to prep - likely revamping his whole campaign based on what I think is a major booboo.

Maybe ...

If you've lost your job ... Mitt Romney doesn't care about you!

If you're sick, if you're a senior citizen ... Mitt Romney doesn't care about you!

If you're a veteran disabled by war ... Mitt Romney doesn't care about you!

In fact, Mitt Romney doesn't care about HALF of the American people. Guess which half Mitt says he cares about? The rich half of course ... Mitt only has time for the wealthiest people of America ... THE ONES WHO DON'T NEED HIS HELP!!

But if you need his help ... Mitt won't be there for you!

:)

Awesome opportunity for Obama!

And maybe a few rich republicans (and their minions who vote lockstep with the bosses) will take note of the fact that Romney is stooooooooopid!

Re the "minions" remark ... It's evident in Canada too that those employed in the private sector without unions tend to vote like their bosses who hold their livelihood in their hands - 'What's good for the boss is good for you!'

Can't wait to watch this play out!

Might be the biggest campaign gaffe of all time.

Is this the fake-outrage of the day today? Anyways, what Romney said is absolutely true. There's an ever-increasing number of voters that don't pay any taxes, who's existence is mostly, or soley based on government.

Yes the proportion of seniors is increasing and will continue to as the baby boomers age.

If this is shocking to you, or Mitt, maybe you should practice adding 2+2. :D

I wonder if he meant his job as a candidate trying to win, or his job as President ?

I don't know, but I sure wish deadbeat Mitt would GET A JOB!

Also I'd like to see his tax returns to make sure he was paying his taxes when he had a job. :D

Cos remember, Mitt doesn't care about the people who need government support, so why would he pay his taxes?!

(omg this is su-weet! :lol:)

Edited by jacee

Bull. Shit. You know damn well that there's very few people who pay no taxes (like, less than 15%).

Actually the figure is in the OP. 60% of the 47% are low income workers, ie 28% who pay no federal taxes, in fact may get a refundable tax credit. They still pay FICA (5% regressive tax on lower incomes). They still pay sales tax etc.

Paying no federal taxes does not mean you are dependent on the federal govt for healthcare, food or housing, as Romney has it.

But sure, if they could just get these people to pay their fair share, the US deficit would be eliminated in no time.

You read it again and please point out the word deadbeat. You won't find it or any other such term.

Good plan. Even though he said that nearly half the population of the U.S. "believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it" and that these people "pay no income tax" and will never believe "they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives", I can see your best line of attack would be to get into an argument of semantics about whether or not he thinks they're "deadbeats."

The worst thing, if you ask me, is the line where he said "My job is is not to worry about those people." What kind of president would that be?

You read it again and please point out the word deadbeat. You won't find it or any other such term.

True , but I think you are being disengenuous because he did say.....

All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what…These are people who pay no income tax…[M]y job is is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.

And a deadbeat is...

1. (Sociology) Informal a lazy or socially undesirable person

2. Chiefly US

a. a person who makes a habit of avoiding or evading his or her responsibilities or debtsb. (as modifier) a deadbeat dad

Mitt should have used deadbeat, it is apparent thats what he meant.

Please, dont pull a shady sharkman.

Guest American Woman

Ummmm. No. Like, 47% for 2010, 46% for 2011, don't pay any federal income taxes.

Guest American Woman

Except you would note I was responding to Shady's claim that there's a large and growing number of people who pay no taxes whatsoever.

Except you would note Shady's claim was in regards to Romney's statement - "what Romney said is absolutely true. There's an ever-increasing number of voters that don't pay any taxes" - which was in regards to federal income tax.