Paul Ryan -Republican candidate for VP

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've read up on Ryan. This VP choice must be designed to give Romney's ho-hum campaign an energy boost. Romney is uncharismatic, boring, moderate, pragmatic. Ryan is a contrast, as he's charismatic, energetic, more right-wing than Romney, and ideological.

Ryan's budget proposals have major holes in them, no matter how you feel about them ideologically. From wiki:

"The Path" (Ryan's budget) has been criticized by some commentators and analysts for its allegedly unrealistic projections and assumptions about future levels of discretionary spending, tax revenue, health care costs, and unemployment. The Path projects to achieve a spending level of 3.5% GDP for all federal government spending aside from health care and social security by 2050.[42] In 2011, this spending level was 12.5% GDP. [43] The Path also projects federal tax revenue to be 19% GDP, up from the 2011 level of 15.5% GDP. [44] This had been called unrealistic because the Path calls for $4.6 trillion in tax cuts with no offsetting tax increases, other than the closing of unspecified tax loopholes. The Path assumes that unemployment will steadily drop to 2.8% by 2021. [46] This would be the lowest annualized unemployment rate since the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), began tracking unemployment in 1948.

Which tax loopholes Ryan? That's kind of a really important detail missing. No point in even having a budget if you can't even add up the numbers since they're missing. And good luck with the 2.8% unemployment projection!

Anyways, Ryan isn't very impressive to me. He's 800% smarter than Sarah Palin though, I'll give him that in a jiffy. He's also a big Ayn Rand fan. That's odd, because you can't really believe in any of her main philosophical points while being a practicing Catholic as Ryan is, unless he just goes to church because he likes singing the songs. Rand preached acting in self-interest, while Jesus preached charity & caring for others. 100% opposite and incompatible philosophies.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ryan was brought on board simply to make the ticket 'more Republican.' Romney is someone that a disgruntled Democrat such as myself, as well as others I know, could vote for. Ryan, no. I don't see how he is going to help the Republican ticket since Republicans would have voted Republican regardless of whether or not they think Romney is too moderate.
Your theory may be right, AW.
More and more this seems like a way to get the base/Tea Party excited.
The purpose in choosing Ryan is to assist the Republican party - but not necessarily Romney's election chances.

Ryan will encourage activists to contribute/work for the party. This helps Republicans in local races.

But then surely more is involved. And why have Obama/MSM/Democrats suddenly taken to attacking Ryan? This guy is somehow dangerous to Obama's re-election.

-----

I'm still waiting for someone to notice that Ryan is the first time the Republican Party has ever nominated a Catholic to be VP or President. I suspect that this will not go unnoticed among certain voters, including Latinos.

Edited by August1991

I suspect that this will not go unnoticed among certain voters, including Latinos.

I haven't read anything to suggest that Latinos like him in the least, Catholic or not. One article I read went so far as to say that selecting Ryan indicates Romney has completely given up on Latino voters.

-k

He's also a big Ayn Rand fan. That's odd, because you can't really believe in any of her main philosophical points while being a practicing Catholic as Ryan is, unless he just goes to church because he likes singing the songs. Rand preached acting in self-interest, while Jesus preached charity & caring for others. 100% opposite and incompatible philosophies.

Ah. Another right-wing politician who admires Ayn Rand.

Edited by bleeding heart

I'm still waiting for someone to notice that Ryan is the first time the Republican Party has ever nominated a Catholic to be VP or President. I suspect that this will not go unnoticed among certain voters, including Latinos.

That demographic (what do they call themselves anyway ? Latinos sounds 1970s to me) was said to have been lost to the Republicans after the last round of anti-immigrant hysteria. A white Catholic hardline Republican won't likely inspire them.

If a Mormom can be accepted (give or take) by the hardline Evangelical base, then it would appear exact religious affiliation is not too important. A candidate's Catholicism likely won't greatly influence a Catholic's voting choice.

The candidate running with Biden did better among Jewish voters than the earlier candidate running with Lieberman, for example.

Romney calls the independent and nonpartisan (it has people who served under Bush working for it for Christ sake) tax policy centers assessment of his tax plan garbage. However when pushed for details of his plan AGAIN Mitt has none. Hey Mitt maybe if you gave some details of what you would do if you won then people trying to inform the public wouldn't have to make their best guess at what you would do. He wont though because he has no plans. His plans are get elected give himself a big tax break then rake it in.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/romney-calls-tax-policy-centers-analysis-of-his

Ryan's budget proposals have major holes in them, no matter how you feel about them ideologically. From wiki:

Which tax loopholes Ryan? That's kind of a really important detail missing. No point in even having a budget if you can't even add up the numbers since they're missing. And good luck with the 2.8% unemployment projection!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/july-dec12/policy_08-13.html

The purpose in choosing Ryan is to assist the Republican party - but not necessarily Romney's election chances.

Ryan will encourage activists to contribute/work for the party. This helps Republicans in local races.

But then surely more is involved. And why have Obama/MSM/Democrats suddenly taken to attacking Ryan? This guy is somehow dangerous to Obama's re-election.

-----

I agree that it will get people more involved and enthusiastic about the ticket and for local elections but are you saying that you think Romney picked Ryan to help other races as much as he did to help himself?

IMO Romney made this pick to help himself first and foremost.

If a Mormom can be accepted (give or take) by the hardline Evangelical base, then it would appear exact religious affiliation is not too important. A candidate's Catholicism likely won't greatly influence a Catholic's voting choice.

The candidate running with Biden did better among Jewish voters than the earlier candidate running with Lieberman, for example.

I think most of the time people make too much of religion's influence on Presidential elections.

Edited by j44

I think most of the time people make too much of religion's influence on Presidential elections.

It's because these aren't really elections as much as they are 'ad campaigns'. So much of the political strategy discussion is really marketing discussion.

For that reason, I applaud the fact that Ryan seems to have an entire body of ideas associated with his candidacy. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

It's because these aren't really elections as much as they are 'ad campaigns'. So much of the political strategy discussion is really marketing discussion.

For that reason, I applaud the fact that Ryan seems to have an entire body of ideas associated with his candidacy. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

The discussion may be limited to nothing more than talking points and characterizations if the media's performance thus far is any indication. And since they appear to generally prefer one candidate, it will be not easy to get an objective look at what both parties are proposing.

Too bad about that.

The discussion may be limited to nothing more than talking points and characterizations if the media's performance thus far is any indication. And since they appear to generally prefer one candidate, it will be not easy to get an objective look at what both parties are proposing.

Too bad about that.

I don't buy any of this media bias stuff. Drudge had an 'example of that' which was just Candy Crowley of CNN talking about Ryan's shortcomings after he was selected. What else are they supposed to do in analysis ?

The media is limited, though, you're right there. Maybe if the candidates themselves talk about ideas, they will have to cover that. Here's hoping.

But what about Foxnews's latest manufactured scandal? Soledad O'Brien was clearly seen reading a quotation that was cited at Talkingpointsmemo.com! That must mean it's a leftist quotation!

From a news site that won the award that Bill O'Reilly used to claim he won to help with his news chops but that was later found out to be a lie. Well talkingpointsmemo actually is an award winning news site unlike the people at Fox who just lie about the news awards they win.

I don't buy any of this media bias stuff. Drudge had an 'example of that' which was just Candy Crowley of CNN talking about Ryan's shortcomings after he was selected. What else are they supposed to do in analysis ?

Perhaps a little analysis not seeped in hyperbole. Crowley's comment about the pick of Ryan "looking a little bit like some sort of ticket death wish" is absurd and not instructive at all. :rolleyes:

Perhaps a little analysis not seeped in hyperbole. Crowley's comment about the pick of Ryan "looking a little bit like some sort of ticket death wish" is absurd and not instructive at all. :rolleyes:

Why isn't it instructive ? That's her analysis. The analysis section of those panel discussions is far more subjective than the news section - it's almost like editorial.

Riddle me this, why is the deficit to you inexcusable for Obama, but perfectly alright with Harper?

Well, there is definitely a difference between the deficits (one is completely unsustainable), but, then, the Obama deficit isn't really the Obama deficit, so....

Nope. I'm talking about entitlement programs, Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Nothing to do with Bush. Everything to do with demographics and life expectancy, and unrealistic government promises

Aid for the elderly in poverty and healthcare are entitlements to you?