Protest against the LCBO -- Liquor Control Board of Ontario

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Havana Club is premium? I remember getting a bottle from my dad when he went there. Wasn't blown away but then again my tastes have evolved since then.

I'd rather drop large amounts of money on a single-malt scotch then a premium rum though.

I love Captain Morgan Spiced Rum too.

Havana Club is the distillery, they make many different grades of rum.. They make a cheap white rum, "Añejo Blanco". That stuff is just rum, no different than Bacardi, etc. If you were not impressed, I suspect that's probably what you had. It's the grades above that where things get interesting. There are 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 15 yr old stocks. After that is where things get really good, and really expensive if you buy it here. Barrel Proof is what I like to bring back from Cuba because it's the best bang for the buck. ($13 there, $60 here). Aged and bottled directly from oak casks, this stuff is amazingly smooth. I used to be a premium whiskey drinker until I tasted Barrel Proof.

...then there is Máximo Extra. That stuff I've never tried, what with it being over $1700 a bottle.

• 1 year later...

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/05/10/liquor_store_advises_to_stock_up_before_victoria_day_weekend.html

With the real threat of a strike by LCBO workers before the long weekend, the provincial agency is strongly suggesting drinkers stock up before next Fridays strike or lockout deadline.

Neither side appears optimistic a tentative deal will be reached by May 17 as Ontario residents gear up for one of the most popular holidays of the year, the Victoria Day long weekend.

In advance of the first long weekend of the summer, customers are encouraged to shop early for the best product selections, Bob Clevely, LCBOs senior vice-president, retail operations, said in a statement released Friday.

Customers entertaining this weekend can avoid any possible service disruptions by shopping our stores early and stocking up, he said

LCBO says regardless of the status of labour negotiations, all LCBO stores except for some locally owned agency stores will be closed on Victoria Day, which will be celebrated on May 20{+ }this year.

Some agency stores will observe their normal business hours Victoria Day. These operators contract with LCBO to sell beverage alcohol, along with other products, in communities that are too small to support regular LCBO stores.

Yet the government still insists letting private store owners sell alcohol is bad for us!

This is a loathesome organization that holds Ontarians hostage with high prices and limited hours. They say they keep prices high to promote social responsibility yet they promote themselves in almost every marketing avenue they can.

Now employees that make far more than comparable private sector retail staff are threatening to strike? Outrageous doesn't begin to describe it.

Edited by Boges

I don't think the stores need better hours unless you need to run out and get beer at 11PM. But I do believe their wages can be drastically cut based on the type of service they provide. It's essentially like working in a grocery store, maintain product inventory, ordering and stocking shelves and taking care of customer concerns.

Pay what the job is actually worth.

If I had my way the sale of liquor would be banned, but we know that doesn't work so keep putting the prices up and tax I high, it might help a few people

Then you get people buying illegal products off reserves like they do with Tobacco.

If the LCBO was really about social responsibility they wouldn't plaster the radio waves with annoying ads and my newspaper wouldn't have inserted monthly glossy magazines telling me which wine I should buy.

I don't think the stores need better hours unless you need to run out and get beer at 11PM. But I do believe their wages can be drastically cut based on the type of service they provide. It's essentially like working in a grocery store, maintain product inventory, ordering and stocking shelves and taking care of customer concerns.Pay what the job is actually worth.

My wife an I were going to go play cards at a friends on a Sunday a few weeks ago and I was embarrassed to show up empty handed because the LCBO closed at 5pm. Sure I probably should have known but would it be the end of civilization if I could go to the Daisey Mart nearby and buy a 6-pack?

Every other civilized place on earth allows round the clock access to alcohol.

Edited by Boges

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/05/10/liquor_store_advises_to_stock_up_before_victoria_day_weekend.html

Yet the government still insists letting private store owners sell alcohol is bad for us!

This is a loathesome organization that holds Ontarians hostage with high prices and limited hours. They say they keep prices high to promote social responsibility yet they promote themselves in almost every marketing avenue they can.

Now employees that make far more than comparable private sector retail staff are threatening to strike? Outrageous doesn't begin to describe it.

Totally agree !! I see no reason why we can't pick up a bottle of wine or some beer in the grocery store, or the local Daisy Mart as you can in the U.S. It sure makes shopping a lot easier and saves on gas which should make the environmentalists happy.

Thank goodness we no longer have to fill in a form and a number to get a bottle (younger people might not remember that).

Going out today to pick up a bottle of Vodka and a bottle of Rum, large ones as we are having a family do next week. Fortunately we make our own wine so are well stocked there.

My wife an I were going to go play cards at a friends on a Sunday a few weeks ago and I was embarrassed to show up empty handed because the LCBO closed at 5pm. Sure I probably should have known but would it be the end of civilization if I could go to the Daisey Mart nearby and buy a 6-pack?

Many are open to 10PM , Sundays til 6PM .

Every other civilized place does NOT sell around the clock.

Many are open to 10PM , Sundays til 6PM .

Every other civilized place does NOT sell around the clock.

If it's being sold at a Convenience Store it is.

I was in London, GB and they had this convenience store that closed a certain hour but someone was on staff that would bring anything (Alcohol included) to the door.

Gas Stations sell beer and wine in America, those are open 24/7.

Nope, not at all.Quebec til 11 for one.

So convenience stores have to close at 11? or do they just have to stop selling at 11? And is that 7 days a week? 11 is reasonable but 5 or 6 on a Sunday is rather prudish.

Wonderful, they can have it.

And I'm pretty confident a good number of people in Ontario would like it too.

1 - when did you know you where going?

2 - why did you wait till the last minute to pick something up?

1 - when did you know you where going?2 - why did you wait till the last minute to pick something up?

Because, I didn't want to leave the house early on a Sunday just to pick up some beer. Getting in the car and stuff.

Now if they sold it at Convenience store, I could have walked across the street.

I actually thought the store I was going to would close at 6. Didn't occur to me it'd close at 5. Again I probably should have checked. But regardless there should have been other options.

Even Wine Racks at Grocery stores have to close at 5 or 6 even though the grocery stores they are located in might stay open until 9.

Edited by Boges

Totally agree !! I see no reason why we can't pick up a bottle of wine or some beer in the grocery store, or the local Daisy Mart as you can in the U.S. It sure makes shopping a lot easier and saves on gas which should make the environmentalists happy.

Thank goodness we no longer have to fill in a form and a number to get a bottle (younger people might not remember that).

Going out today to pick up a bottle of Vodka and a bottle of Rum, large ones as we are having a family do next week. Fortunately we make our own wine so are well stocked there.

You can buy wine in a grocery store. I pass it as I walk out of Zehrs.

Because, I didn't want to leave the house early on a Sunday just to pick up some beer. Getting in the car and stuff.

Now if they sold it at Convenience store, I could have walked across the street.

I actually thought the store I was going to would close at 6. Didn't occur to me it'd close at 5. Again I probably should have checked. But regardless there should have been other options.

Even Wine Racks at Grocery stores have to close at 5 or 6 even though the grocery stores they are located in might stay open until 9.

Are you going to argue that they need to keep their dry cleaning open late too?

It's a minor inconvenience... you don't need to drink to have a good time. If you do, you are an alcoholic.

You can buy wine in a grocery store. I pass it as I walk out of Zehrs.

Wine Racks have a very limited selection and have to maintain the same hours as an LCBO. What's being proposed is having an aisle in the actual grocery store where you can buy the wine and pay at the checkout.

That being said, they'll be getting some huge business if the Lickbo goes on strike though.

It's a minor inconvenience... you don't need to drink to have a good time. If you do, you are an alcoholic.

A minor inconvenience to ensure a government monopoly until they threaten to strike and it becomes a major inconvenience.

And tell the LCBO that you don't need to have a good time to drink. They're advertising would tell you otherwise.

Honestly, if Ontario plans on selling weed (whenever it gets legalized) like it does alcohol, it's better off staying just decriminalized.

Guest Kenneth

You should look into home brewing. It's so easy, and especially in the case, so to speak, of beer the taste is actually way better. Even these basic kits with the canned extracts work pretty good.

? You drink cleaning solvent ?

Aren't you just a ball of fun! :lol:

So convenience stores have to close at 11? or do they just have to stop selling at 11? And is that 7 days a week? 11 is reasonable but 5 or 6 on a Sunday is rather prudish.

In Quebec, they stop selling alcohol at 11 pm but stores remain open. In some places, they lock/hide the wine/beer.

You should look into home brewing. It's so easy, and especially in the case, so to speak, of beer the taste is actually way better. Even these basic kits with the canned extracts work pretty good.

There are wineries in Quebec where they do all the work but the customer must do the final bottling. It works out to about $4/bottle for the equivalent of $10 SAQ "product elaborated in Quebec" wine.