Protest against the LCBO -- Liquor Control Board of Ontario

When was the last time you saw a wine at the LCBO from China?

Our favourites come from Chile and South Africa. Aussie Wine is popular too. Canadian Winemakers really price themselves out of the market, Usually when things are made within 100 miles of where it's being sold it's cheaper. I bought a 1.5L of Jackson Triggs last week cuz it was on sale though. :blink:

Most of the time I buy Canadian Beer and Canadian Whiskey. Screetch is sometimes my choice from over the far better Jamaican brands.

I think this is a cultural issue, if you want a supply take a trip to your nearest border province and buy what you want in Quebec or manitoba or bring home a couple litres when you fly in from a vacation etc.. alchohol is really really low cost in many countries as compared to ontario. like 5$ litres of tequilla from tequilla, 5$ litre bottles of gin from ukraine, 5$ bottles of rum from mexico etc.. I did a price check on the coconut liqour I brought back from mexico and it cost less there, it wasn't readily available in ontario, in basing it on malibu coconut for 375ml at $12.95 - in Cancun (not the lowest price in Mexico) the cost is still atleast half of what it would be in Ontario. excample 150 pesos you are looking at the same price for 1 litre.

You want a low price you need to import those 2 litres duty free every time you head out somewhere. It ads up if you go on annual or biannual or more frequent trips and arn't a regular drinker.

If you drink regularly home brew is ridiculously cheap for wines and beer.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just Premier Father telling us he cares and understands that Ontarians are to stupid to drink. That is why we have to be in tents during outdoor activities, to stupid to stand out in the open with a pint in our hands. I hope everyone that vote for him again are happy, But soon we won't even be able to afford even he cheap stuff.

Just Premier Father telling us he cares and understands that Ontarians are to stupid to drink. That is why we have to be in tents during outdoor activities, to stupid to stand out in the open with a pint in our hands. I hope everyone that vote for him again are happy, But soon we won't even be able to afford even he cheap stuff.

Best keep up when dropping Premier Father bon mots.....you can walk around a festival w a beer now. The law was changed

Not tarding, I was simply employing the classic CPC/ right wing argument...

Of course, you could just move to the United States. Lots of cheep booze there, for you to drink

A case of Canadian beer in the US 28 can variety of Molson Canadian for example is $15. Why is it triple that at home? They don't have a monopoly in the US running things and it works just fine. Canadians should be treated like adults free to make their own choices instead of not being trusted to buy our beer at a place of our own choosing.

Yeah so instead of being fenced off at a Ribfest you can walk around and drink a beer while waiting in line. :rolleyes:

Exactly being penned up like stray cattle in order to enjoy a beer at a fair is ridiculous. We're adults please treat us like it.

Edited by Mr.Canada

A case of Canadian beer in the US 28 can variety of Molson Canadian for example is $15. Why is it triple that at home? They don't have a monopoly in the US running things and it works just fine. Canadians should be treated like adults free to make their own choices instead of not being trusted to buy our beer at a place of our own choosing.

Who sets that price? The LCBO , at the request of brewers to increase it. Ao put the blame all around

Exactly being penned up like stray cattle in order to enjoy a beer at a fair is ridiculous. We're adults please treat us like it.

You do know adults can walk around w a beer dont you?

Who sets that price? The LCBO , at the request of brewers to increase it. Ao put the blame all around

You do know adults can walk around w a beer dont you?

I'm not sure what province you're in, but at the very least you can't walk around in public drinking in Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.

I'm not sure what province you're in, but at the very least you can't walk around in public drinking in Ontario, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick.

You can in Ontario , at a festival , as was pointed out earlier. They changed the law last spring

Edited by guyser

You can in Ontario , at a festival , as was pointed out earlier. They changed the law last spring

Well you still have to be within the borders of said festival.

In the US you can BYOB and drink in the parking lot. That's one of the reasons the NFL may never work in Canada: because you can't tailgate properly.

Wines and beers are luxury items which provide the enormous sin tax that takes the pressure off basic food needs. You can buy a “nice” bottle of wine for $250 or $50 or $8 or not buy one at all. You buy what you can afford. I believe that the taxes on luxury items allow those who can afford it the opportunity to subsidize the taxes for us poor people.

Thanks! :P

Wines and beers are luxury items which provide the enormous sin tax that takes the pressure off basic food needs. You can buy a “nice” bottle of wine for $250 or $50 or $8 or not buy one at all. You buy what you can afford. I believe that the taxes on luxury items allow those who can afford it the opportunity to subsidize the taxes for us poor people.

Thanks! :P

Well the thesis of this thread isn't about the prices the LCBO charge, though I would argue they are too high.

The LCBO has the buying power that it can ask it's suppliers for lower wholesale prices but it doesn't. Think how many subsidies for the poor the LCBO can provide if their buying practice weren't idiotic.

Oh BTW are you saying poor people don't drink? Check the LCBO on 15th and 30th day of the month. :P

That glossy, bilingual Food and Drink mag must cost the LCBO a few bucks.

I used that arguement in another thread. I guess when you consider all the ads in that magazine they probably make money publishing that thing. It also probably drives people to try different brands.

That glossy, bilingual Food and Drink mag must cost the LCBO a few bucks.

The BC Liquor Stores have a free glossy mag too. It's an excellent publication.

Now if only the BC liquor stores would bring in a better selection of micro-brews than they do... I wouldn't need to shop at a private store where they under-pay their employees and charge more for products! :huh:

Well for good single-malt whiskys you're looking at $60+ in Ontario for 750 ml

I don't look for premium rums but most 750 ml come to less than $40. Not sure about 40 ozers.

Good Rum can go for more than that. Havana Club Barrel Proof is $60/750ml at LCBO and MLCC.

That same bottle is $13 in Cuba.

Edited by Bryan

Appleton Estate Reserve is one of the best Jamaican rums. It definitely holds its own against mid-range Cuban rums.

Comparing it to Barrel Proof though? :blink:

So Havana Club is premium? I remember getting a bottle from my dad when he went there. Wasn't blown away but then again my tastes have evolved since then.

I'd rather drop large amounts of money on a single-malt scotch then a premium rum though.

I love Captain Morgan Spiced Rum too.