Protest against the LCBO -- Liquor Control Board of Ontario

We've had this debate before. The LCBO has a monopoly on selling liqour in Ontario so they can charge whatever the Hell they want. They even have minimum prices just to make sure no one can get an exceptionally good deal on boo's.

But if that's the case and they have a captive market and they're one of the largest purchasers of alcohol in the world. At least maybe you could get a bulk discount or something.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1097173--lcbo-prices-higher-than-they-should-be-a-g?bn=1

It’s enough to drive you to drink.

Auditor General Jim McCarter is taking the Liquor Control Board of Ontario to task for purchasing policies and pricing structures that mean booze is too expensive yet revenues are not maximized.

“A Walmart would certainly go back to their supplier and say: ‘Would you sell it to us cheaper?’ We think a lot of suppliers would sell it to us cheaper, basically to get that LCBO listing,” said McCarter, noting the provincial monopoly is one of the biggest alcohol retailers in the world.

“Nobody else has your buying clout,” the auditor lectured the LCBO.

McCarter found the LCBO’s purchasing differs from private-sector retailers, which try to find the lowest wholesale prices.

“Instead, it focuses on the retail price it wants to charge for a product.”

If you're going to rip people off to maximize profits, at least do it properly you idiots. It's a wonder why people hate government organizations.

All they need to do is go to a COSTCO to see how this stuff works.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All they need to do is go to a COSTCO to see how this stuff works.

Ya right on man.

The LCBO shouldn't care less about the wine growers in Niagara or Canada!

They should deliver the cheapest product and import everything from China!

WWWTT

Ya right on man.

The LCBO shouldn't care less about the wine growers in Niagara or Canada!

They should deliver the cheapest product and import everything from China!

WWWTT

When was the last time you saw a wine at the LCBO from China?

Our favourites come from Chile and South Africa. Aussie Wine is popular too. Canadian Winemakers really price themselves out of the market, Usually when things are made within 100 miles of where it's being sold it's cheaper. I bought a 1.5L of Jackson Triggs last week cuz it was on sale though. :blink:

Most of the time I buy Canadian Beer and Canadian Whiskey. Screetch is sometimes my choice from over the far better Jamaican brands.

Edited by Boges

Not tarding, I was simply employing the classic CPC/ right wing argument...

Of course, you could just move to the United States. Lots of cheep booze there, for you to drink

Well again this thread isn't about the price we pay. That's an outrage but can't do much about it.

But if you're going to charge the public high rates that go to the gumint's general revenue then WTF not try to get a deal. Quebec does it.

Our favourites come from Chile and South Africa. Aussie Wine is popular too. Canadian Winemakers really price themselves out of the market, Usually when things are made within 100 miles of where it's being sold it's cheaper. I bought a 1.5L of Jackson Triggs last week cuz it was on sale though. :blink:

Most of the time I buy Canadian Beer and Canadian Whiskey. Screetch is sometimes my choice from over the far better Jamaican brands.

Not only that, but try getting a decent Ontario wine at an LCBO. It's almost impossible. Most ON wineries sell their best products directly or get bought up by restaurants. The stuff that makes it to the LCBO is usually plonk (though the Henry of Pelham Baco Noir is outstanding and cheap at $13.95).

Back to the thread topic, I agree that the lickbo is a scam. That needs to change.

Not only that, but try getting a decent Ontario wine at an LCBO. It's almost impossible. Most ON wineries sell their best products directly or get bought up by restaurants. The stuff that makes it to the LCBO is usually plonk (though the Henry of Pelham Baco Noir is outstanding and cheap at $13.95).

Back to the thread topic, I agree that the lickbo is a scam. That needs to change.

$14/bottle is cheap to you?

You must really be a hipster. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peeves

Across the border or online?

There was a story this week that on December 23rd the LCBO set a record for sales. :rolleyes:

Crossing the border 15 minutes away.

Dairy products and chicken are also cheaper.

Beer, wine, and liquor sales across this country needs to be privatized. Our archaic system is not solving any problems whatsoever and it actually makes it more difficult for responsible drinkers and connoisseurs to get their hands on new and different things. I, for one, really enjoy trying various microbrews from around the world; however, i have to really hunt to get my hands on good stuff, if I can at all.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest Peeves

Beer, wine, and liquor sales across this country needs to be privatized. Our archaic system is not solving any problems whatsoever and it actually makes it more difficult for responsible drinkers and connoisseurs to get their hands on new and different things. I, for one, really enjoy trying various microbrews from around the world; however, i have to really hunt to get my hands on good stuff, if I can at all.

I'll drink to that. :P

No thanks, I was in Alberta last year and had to pay nearly $50 for a bottle (40 oz) of rum.

I'm not familiar with Alberta's system, but I highly doubt privatization makes it more expensive. Nearly half of what we pay for alcohol in most provinces is some form of taxes, which is why it's half the price in the US and at the duty free shops on the border.

In any case, $50 for a 40 isn't shockingly bad. Most liquor is usually somewhere between $0.80-1.20 per oz.

Well there is a reason some of that wine costs close to 20 bucks a bottle. Because it's good. I've had the pleasure of trying a Riesling from Fielding Estates from the Niagra region, quite smooth and lots of flavour. Was about 19 dollars a bottle. I;ve also tried a couple others at a bar that when I checked them out at the LCBO they were the 30$ wines.

$14/bottle is cheap to you?

You must really be a hipster. :rolleyes:

The real cheap wines are 9-12 bucks. For wine for the most part, you do get what you pay for.

Well there is a reason some of that wine costs close to 20 bucks a bottle. Because it's good. I've had the pleasure of trying a Riesling from Fielding Estates from the Niagra region, quite smooth and lots of flavour. Was about 19 dollars a bottle. I;ve also tried a couple others at a bar that when I checked them out at the LCBO they were the 30$ wines.

The real cheap wines are 9-12 bucks. For wine for the most part, you do get what you pay for.

Ontario wine makers are pricing themselves out of the market. You telling me South African, Chilean, Aussie, even Italian wines are crap compared to Niagara wine?

Santa Carolina is a nice Chilean wine you can get 1.5 Litres for $15.

Regardless all wines in Canada are expensive because of the monopoly the LCBO has.

A good price? Where are you buying your booze? It was Bacardi Gold, nothing exotic. I bought one this Christmas here in Saskatchewan and its around $36.

Well for good single-malt whiskys you're looking at $60+ in Ontario for 750 ml

I don't look for premium rums but most 750 ml come to less than $40. Not sure about 40 ozers.

You can get a 750 of Screetch for $25.

Pretty sure I can find one for $8 :)

Alcohol is one of those things where similar process + similar ingredients = similar result.

In one of my business management courses, a marketing representative from Allied Domec came in and not so subtley (but not directly) told our class that it was 95+% marketing for all alcoholic products. Afterall, premium products going through the same process makes the same drink. I thought it was hilarious that students disagreed with him. "They taste different" "[brand] is garbage sucks". He entertained them for awhile and then noted that very few people can actually taste and identify different brands of the exact same type. He was trying to show the importance of marketing and differentiating in a market where all products of a same process (Ale, Lager, Chardonnay, Rum, Vodka) are extremely similar with very minute differences. Especially when the differences in quality are nearly entirely subjective and psychological.

Stella Artois, crap beer in Europe... Premium Beer in North America for it's "heritage".

Name your product something provocative "Flying Monkeys Ale", "Naked Grape", etc and you can hit it big on novelty.

I like wine, and I am not a wine snob. As long as it tastes like wine, I don't care about the subtleties to rationalize a 100% price increase... unless it is for a special occasion and I just want something pricey to add to the feeling of glamour.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Alcohol is one of those things where similar process + similar ingredients = similar result.

In one of my business management courses, a marketing representative from Allied Domec came in and not so subtley (but not directly) told our class that it was 95+% marketing for all alcoholic products. Afterall, premium products going through the same process makes the same drink. I thought it was hilarious that students disagreed with him. "They taste different" "[brand] is garbage sucks". He entertained them for awhile and then noted that very few people can actually taste and identify different brands of the exact same type. He was trying to show the importance of marketing and differentiating in a market where all products of a same process (Ale, Lager, Chardonnay, Rum, Vodka) are extremely similar with very minute differences. Especially when the differences in quality are nearly entirely subjective and psychological.

Stella Artois, crap beer in Europe... Premium Beer in North America for it's "heritage".

Name your product something provocative "Flying Monkeys Ale", "Naked Grape", etc and you can hit it big on novelty.

I like wine, and I am not a wine snob. As long as it tastes like wine, I don't care about the subtleties to rationalize a 100% price increase... unless it is for a special occasion and I just want something pricey to add to the feeling of glamour.

I tend to agree with this post. Single-malt scotches are far better than blended scotches and price reflects that.

Lakeport Honey is a perfectly fine beer but because it's "discount" I imagine less people want to be seen drinking it.

Edited by Boges

Overall yes. However wines to taste different and in many cases you will be able to taste a difference between wines.

One cannot tell much of a difference between brands that Molson put out, or Labatt's. But there are huge differences in tastes in lots of beers. You are right on brand recognition or loyalty. Those who drink Canadian will only drink Canadian (replace that with Blue or Budwiser ect ect)