Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

No, it's because they were up against the cap.

Boston tried to re-sign Kessel, but a contract offer believed to be in the ballpark of the four-year, $16 million deal Jordan Staal signed with Pittsburgh was apparently rejected in July.

One source told ESPN.com that the Kessel camp asked for a trade at that point. Kessel's agent, Wade Arnott, vehemently denies that.

One fact neither camp disputes is Kessel and Bruins coach Claude Julien didn't see eye to eye, contributing to the player's exit. Julien stresses a defense-first system.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil wanted more than Boston wanted to pay...but yep they did have cap constraints. Brian helped them out by dramatically overpaying for Phil, solving their cap issues and allowing Boston to retool instantly.

That year Phil did manage to score 37 goals...but he was also a minus 6 on a very good team. Phil is still that kind of player. Last year the Leafs were a +12 in goals for vs against, but Phil managed to be a -3 while playing on the top line. Kadri, another not so defensive player, was a +15.

Last night was a perfect example of Phil's game. He got a point but was also on the ice for 3 goals against.

Phil reminds me of Brett Hull. He's scores but is fairly weak in all other aspects of the game. Both men would be poor players to build a team around.

Edited by Mighty AC

Bernier was very impressive. In football it's said that if you have 2 QBs you really have none. That's not transferrable here. This is an excellent problem for the Leafs to have. And both are competing for a job neither of them have so they're stepping their game up.

I like Reimer but it appears Bernier is the leader after the first two games.

BTW I know the competition wasn't the League's elite but starting the season with back-to-back road wins is HUGE!!!

Edited by Boges

Leafs are picking up right where they left off: getting hugely out played and outshot and riding hot goaltending for wins. They won't be able to ride that wave for a full season, be interesting to see if they can turn that trend around.

Nonsense. Aside from the first period, the leafs outplayed Montreal. The game against Philly wasn't as good, but it was a back to back game.

Speaking for myself, it's not the team, it's the fans.

Personally I like a few of the players (Kessel, Gardiner) and I've known a few decent Leafs fans, but that's all overshadowed by guys like Lupul and Phaneuf and the great teeming mass of idiots that is Leaf Nation. Of course all fan bases have their dolts, but Toronto just has so many more of them.

Personally I like a few of the players (Kessel, Gardiner) and I've known a few decent Leafs fans, but that's all overshadowed by guys like Lupul and Phaneuf and the great teeming mass of idiots that is Leaf Nation. Of course all fan bases have their dolts, but Toronto just has so many more of them.

Perceived Victim mentality. Same as in politics and religion.

Another big win for the Leafs. Although, they played sloppy on defense, and if Ranger doesn't play better, they should think about sitting him for a while. They were missing Clarkson, Kulemin, and Fraser, and it really showed. Thankfully Bernier came in and solidified things. The positive about last night is that they won, but they can play much much better.

The Defense seems to be a concern. Not sure why Liles was waived at this point. What happened to Koska and Holzer?

It's crazy that 2 quick goals have pretty much lost the goalie job for Reimer. He just can't control rebounds. Enjoy being the starting goalie of the Leafs Johny B! Reimer is a top Backup though.

Good trade indeed. They got him for Frattin, Scrivens and a second round pick and then signed him for less than $3M per season. It looks like he could end a string of mediocre goal tending moves by Leafs management.

Raycroft, loosing Raask but keeping Pogge in the deal, Toskala, Gustavsson, JS Giguere. Even the brief Gerber stint in 09 wasn't very good. Mostly because he picked up 6 wins at the end of the season which, just hurt their position in a draft that included Tavares and Duchene.

5-1 without Clarkson. So they'll survive the suspension no worse than .500.

You'd have to assume they'll be much better with him. Good teams win games like Saturday. The game seemed lost, Bernier had an off game but they still managed to win.

Reimer gets the nod tonight against The Wild tonight. He'll have to channel the ghost of Mike Palmateer in order to win back the starting job.

5-1 without Clarkson. So they'll survive the suspension no worse than .500.

You'd have to assume they'll be much better with him. Good teams win games like Saturday. The game seemed lost, Bernier had an off game but they still managed to win.

Reimer gets the nod tonight against The Wild tonight. He'll have to channel the ghost of Mike Palmateer in order to win back the starting job.

Had more to do with facing ECHL-caliber goaltending than anything else. Would have been a blowout otherwise.

Good on the Leafs for riding the hot streak and banking points now, but they can't expect to keep on riding superhuman goaltending for the entire year.

Had more to do with facing ECHL-caliber goaltending than anything else. Would have been a blowout otherwise.

Good on the Leafs for riding the hot streak and banking points now, but they can't expect to keep on riding superhuman goaltending for the entire year.

Winning 4-1 last night is more than just goaltending. They've only been held under 3 goals once this season, their only loss. They had Reimer in net last night. So it would appear they have two more than capable goalies. A frill Leaf fans have not had to enjoy in as long as I remember.

We could attribute these wins to the fact they're beating up on Western Conference cupcakes but they do have division wins against the Habs and Sens.

One would also have to concede though that they're suffering a depleted lineup. Get Fraser, Kulemin and Clarkson back, this team should be even better.

Winning 4-1 last night is more than just goaltending. They've only been held under 3 goals once this season, their only loss. They had Reimer in net last night. So it would appear they have two more than capable goalies. A frill Leaf fans have not had to enjoy in as long as I remember.

They were outshot 37-14.

We could attribute these wins to the fact they're beating up on Western Conference cupcakes but they do have division wins against the Habs and Sens.

Western Conference cupcakes? You know what the head to head record between the conferences is this season, don't you?

One would also have to concede though that they're suffering a depleted lineup. Get Fraser, Kulemin and Clarkson back, this team should be even better.

I'm very much looking forward to the inevitable collapse.

They were outshot 37-14.

Western Conference cupcakes? You know what the head to head record between the conferences is this season, don't you?

I'm very much looking forward to the inevitable collapse.

Why do you even bother posting in this thread? You obviously hate the Leafs, and whether they're winning or losing, your attitude doesn't change. Now you can't wait to wallow in your schadenfreude. It's pathetic.

Why do you even bother posting in this thread? You obviously hate the Leafs, and whether they're winning or losing, your attitude doesn't change. Now you can't wait to wallow in your schadenfreude. It's pathetic.

It's the "let's talk about the Leafs" thread not the "let's jerk off about the Leafs thread."

It's the "let's talk about the Leafs" thread not the "let's jerk off about the Leafs thread."

Yes, but I find it sad that you're so invested in the Leafs downfall all for a bit of schadenfreude.

Anyways, why can't this be a jerk off about the Leafs thread? They're 6 - 0 - 1 right now. When they lose, there'll be less jerking off. Besides, you already have your lets jerk off about Rob Ford thread. Can't you leave this one alone?