Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..., there were several penalties that could have been called, but the refs chose to "let the players decide the game". Whenever they do that, the team that takes more liberties gets the advantage in my opinion.

The Refs wantd to let the players decide but didnt know how to do that. Liberties were taken that could not be answered for fear of the retaliation penalty.

Out coached n the last half of per 3 I would agree. My take is the last 2 mins he should have thrown the guys w any legs left and told them to skate their ass of.

Dont know if anyone saw the young guy crying down at ML Square, man he was bawling like a 3 yr old. Sure i was gutted by the loss, but crying profusely like a girl dumped at the Prom? Egad man, grow a pair.

As reported by the CBC:

Toronto Stronger: Fan mocks 'Boston Strong' slogan

My apologies... I thought you were slagging the NHL again with a drive-by posting. Had no idea that this was even a slogan!

• 4 weeks later...

Boston has only lost one game since the Leafs series.

Sorta of makes that collapse harder to take. The Leafs were 10 minutes away from a series win. Now the team that beat them is one win away from the finals.

Kinda like rubbing dirt in a wound.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Pretty amazing that the Leafs had the Bruins moments from defeat, and nobody else has been able to touch them.

Is it a style matchup thing? (ie, the Leafs having a lot more speed than the Rangers or Penguins?) or did the Leafs just give the Bruins a wake-up call?

-k

• 2 weeks later...
Is it a style matchup thing? (ie, the Leafs having a lot more speed than the Rangers or Penguins?) or did the Leafs just give the Bruins a wake-up call?

-k

I'd go with the wake-up call thing - and it looks like Boston needs another one. To be elading 3-1 with 12 minutes left and then end up losing 4-3 in triple overtime - something went wrong in Beantown...

• 2 weeks later...

Jays Trade Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and a 2nd round pick to the Kings for their backup Jonathan Bernier.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/06/23/sp-nhl-hockey-maple-leafs-jonathan-bernier.html

He's consider a potential #1 goalie but has been forced to play behind Conn Smyth winner Jonathan Quick.

Not a lot of faith put in Reimer here but he has shown to be an injury prone goalie so having 2 potential starters on the roster, wouldn't be bad.

This doesn't address their #1 need of a really good centre that can win faceoffs. But it's a start.

Build from the net out is the way to go.

More importantly tho...thread drift here....Canuck fans, are you ready to push my boy Gillis out the door?

Vigneault was not the problem, Gillis and some players were.

Torts will be a disaster, but it will take 2 years to find out why.

Bad move, might become the Leafs of 2004 to 2012...ugh and yikes !

You won't think signing Clarkson at more than $5 mil a year is so great in five years when he's 35 years old and they still have two years left on his contract.

I disagree. He's 29 now, his contract will end at 36. In today's professional sports, 36 isn't what it was 20 or 30 years ago. Plus, a $5 million dollar contract 5 or 6 years from now isn't going to be a big deal, because the cap will have increased substantially by then. If his salary was constantly inceasing every year, that would be another story.

He's likely already peaked. He's scored 30 goals in a season once in his career and will probably never do that again. Paying that amount and offering that long a term for a guy who they will be lucky to fit on the second line is ridiculous. Especially when they're soon going to have to sign Kessall and Phaneuf. Not to mention the fact that they're going to have to pay big for a goalie, whether they keep Reimer or not. They blew their load and they now won't have the cap space to do anything for years to come. I'd say it was one of the worst UFA signings in NHL history.

Which, seeing as it was the Leafs, makes me very, very happy.

He's likely already peaked. He's scored 30 goals in a season once in his career and will probably never do that again. Paying that amount and offering that long a term for a guy who they will be lucky to fit on the second line is ridiculous. Especially when they're soon going to have to sign Kessall and Phaneuf. Not to mention the fact that they're going to have to pay big for a goalie, whether they keep Reimer or not. They blew their load and they now won't have the cap space to do anything for years to come. I'd say it was one of the worst UFA signings in NHL history.

Which, seeing as it was the Leafs, makes me very, very happy.

Lol, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Clarkson was one of the heaviest pursued free agents because he's a good scorer, and physical presence. He's a version of Milan Lucic on Boston. Even with his signing, at a modest 5 million per season, the Leafs are way below the cap, and will be for a long time. Next year, they have Darcy Tucker and Colby Armstrong coming off the salary cap books as well. Which will free up even more money. Stick to the lousy Winnipeg Jets. Because when it comes to the Leafs, you have no idea what you're talking about.

He traded money for length. I'm sure the Leafs will have no problem buying him out if he does suck.

As for cap room, the money they've freed up getting rid of Grabo goes to Clarkson.

Right now they have a few speedy goal scoring wingers. From what I gather Clarkson is more of a physical forward.

And when you consider guys often produce into their late 30s, it's not a horrible gamble.

Edited by Boges

They take a significant cap hit even if they buy him out. You'd think they would have learned their lesson with Grabo.

Stick to the Jets and try making the playoffs. You're talking a lot for a team that couldn't even finish in the top 8 in the eastern conference. Come back to me after the Jets actually make the playoffs. Until then, I don't care.