Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

'Canadas team' appears once per year at the World Championships, once per year at the World Juniors and once every four years at the Olympics. And I cannot rememeber the last time it had a Leaf on any of those teams.

Yeah but you're not being quite fair. Don't forget, most of the really good players in the NHL are Canadians, and play on US teams.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes beyond strange. Their D should be dreadful when looked at objectively. Not many of them would make another NHL team. Potter is a career AHL guy, and Petry and Peckham belong in the AHL for now -they would not make any other NHL team. Barker is a failed prospect, Gilbert might be #4 on any other team, Smid is a solid shutdown 5/6 guy, and Whitney might be top three on a playoff team. Strange days indeed.

I have to admit I though Smyth was a wate of money and a waste of a top 6 forward spot, but I was wrong.

It's not that strange to a veteran. Quite often a team full of superstars does not do as well as expected. They don't mesh right. If you have a lineup where there is a star centre and forward or two, take them out of the equation, eg. due to an injury, and then ask other members to step up, awesome things can sometimes happen.

There's players who are great as individuals, talented, great hands and great feet but then there's others who play exceptionally well when there's the right "chemistry". Because they think alike, they know where to be.

I also find that if a team gets along personally, it makes a big difference. Superstars often have ego trips and sucky, bad attitudes.

Brutal game by the Leafs

how do the leafs have the worst pk in the nhl but best pk in the ahl?

shouldnt wilson be talking to the marlies coaches?

wonder what their plus minus is now lol

great game by seguin

leafs lead NE division by 3 pts so we're still in a good position

poor scrivens... should have pulled him after the third goal

Like back dog I am an oilers fan. I am expecting a 7-12 place finish is year, however the defense is IMO overachieving along with their goaltending. What's nice is that they can properly rest hemsky who is ppg when healthy key word being healthy. Sutton ands Whitney will be good when they get back. I think gagner is on the trading block, he's the odd man out.

As for the leafs, they are a markedly better team than the last few years and are a legit number 1 centre from being an elite team. And no Connolly, Lombardi are not legit number 1 centers. Kessel will need a set up man. Toronto needs to play better defense, a minus 1 goal differential is not sustainable. I do like Toronto better than the other eastern conference Canadian teams for getting into the playoffs ( unless Montreal gets their offense in order).

Let's not get started on Winnipeg...

Edited by blueblood

They're Canada's team. And as of November 4th they're tied with Pittsburgh for tops in the Leage.
Huh?
They really aren't.
Well said.

I have sometimes wondered about people in Halifax or Charlottetown or Saskatoon. What is their hockey team?

-----

I recall a joke ad sometime ago: The Toronto Maple Leafs get the Stanley Cup less often than Halley's Comet passes by our planet.

Is that true?

Edited by August1991

Even despite their many years of lackluster performance, it is surprising how many fans in distant regions of Canada still cheer for the Leafs. Someone asked who do hockey fans cheer for on the east coast. When I was in Halifax about 4 years ago I saw some local good old boys, and remember one of them was wearing a Leaf hat. "We still love the Leafs out here", he told me.

True

Until the Leafs come into town.

That's a generational thing from the eons of two Canadian teams. That however is slowly being chipped away. Now people have various teams to choose from and lots of people cheer for American teams (oh the horror). What I find interesting is how Boston has a following with the older crowd out here.

I'm an oilers fan, but I am also a fan of teams with lots of potential and on the rise. I've been liking LA for the past few years and think they're dangerous, st. Louis if they could ever stay healthy, love Chicago, I like watching the leafs, used to like Washington,

I don't like the jets because their fans are as big as idiots as roughrider fans, and if you go to sask at the end of football season you will know what I'm talking about. Despise Vancouver and their pest hockey, not a fan of Pitt, Detroit, ny, don't like sj because they choke.

That's a generational thing from the eons of two Canadian teams. That however is slowly being chipped away. Now people have various teams to choose from and lots of people cheer for American teams (oh the horror). What I find interesting is how Boston has a following with the older crowd out here.

I temd to agree. I think over time that phenomena will die down, however it will linger just like Yankees fans ar everywhere too.

No surprise for Boston, any original 6 is popular. Not so much Chicago or NYR since they didnt win anything for long period, but Boston w Orr, Espo and so on, that stuck with many people.

I'm an oilers fan, but I am also a fan of teams with lots of potential and on the rise. I've been liking LA for the past few years and think they're dangerous, st. Louis if they could ever stay healthy, love Chicago, I like watching the leafs, used to like Washington,

I don't like the jets because their fans are as big as idiots as roughrider fans, and if you go to sask at the end of football season you will know what I'm talking about. Despise Vancouver and their pest hockey, not a fan of Pitt, Detroit, ny, don't like sj because they choke.

I am a fan of wacthing the OIlers, exciting to watch, and with those draft picks, many years of fun ahead.

After the last few years, good for them.LA we never see in the east, so while I like them and love Doughty, cant get behind them, cuz they aint never on!!

I temd to agree. I think over time that phenomena will die down, however it will linger just like Yankees fans ar everywhere too.

No surprise for Boston, any original 6 is popular. Not so much Chicago or NYR since they didnt win anything for long period, but Boston w Orr, Espo and so on, that stuck with many people.

I am a fan of wacthing the OIlers, exciting to watch, and with those draft picks, many years of fun ahead.

After the last few years, good for them.LA we never see in the east, so while I like them and love Doughty, cant get behind them, cuz they aint never on!!

Centre ice and a dvr fixes that. Just have to suffer through USA commentary explaining how the game works and basics.

Im afraid burkey's tenure as gm is going to be determined by the Kessel trade. That was one heck of a gamble.

• 1 year later...

I think it's safe to get on their bandwagon again.

7 straight games with at least a point.

Lupul and Kadri are tearing bleep up. Now they actually have some space to breath with no games until Thursday. Also their games against top teams are done. No more Pens, Bruins, Sens and only one game against the Habs (season finale) and if a playoff spot isn't secured by them they would be in major choke territory.

Edited by Boges

I think it's safe to get on their bandwagon again.

7 straight games with at least a point.

Lupul and Kadri are tearing bleep up. Now hey actually have some space to breath with no games until Thursday. Also their games against top teams are done. No more Pens, Bruins, Sens and only one game against the Habs (season finale) and if a playoff spot isn't secured by them they would be in major choke territory.

I sure hope so, I bet on the Leafs making the playoffs back nin early Feb.

Looks like they will and with some luck and perhaps catching lightning in a bottle (a la LA) who knows how far they can go. The East will be a horrible grind though and the Cup should go through Pittsburgh.

I bet the Bruins go out in the first round, something is wrong there.

And now......Detroit fans will have to come across the border for real hockey now! (but not ins subsequent years they have depth in the minors and Mr Holland)

What struck me as funny is the number of Leaf fans cheering them on in Ottawa. That has got to grate on a Sens fans nerves beyond compare.

It is stupid (but not surprising) that Melnyk rants against Leaf fans for filling his arena when he should be mad at Sens fans who will not shell out to attend the games. Move the team downtown and watch the Sens fans fill it.

They even booed Alfie when he touched the puck and threw hats when Kadri got his hattrick.

That I had family down from Ottawa was merely icing on the cake. I just sat there and smiled.

• 5 weeks later...

So Leafs in six over Boston? (LOL....but some teams can catch lightning in a bottle )

Habs in 6 over Sens?

Rangers should beat but Washington is hot so ....I dunno

Pitt in 5 over NYI unless they use this as a test series.

In the west.....

havent been following this year but it has to go thru Chicago

So, tell me what you have.

Edited by guyser

Boston in 4

Habs in 5

Rangers in 7

Pitts in 4

--------------------------------

Van in 7

St Louis in 5

Chicago in 5

Anaheim in 7

Those are my predictions. I am prepared to be disappointed. My predictor skillz suck.

People see Boston v Toronto through the past. In recent season the Leafs have been absolutely owned by them.

All the games this year were close and the Leafs aren't pushovers like they were under Ron Wilson.

Also, I give Riemer the edge over Tukka Rask.

In theory Reimer could get hot... but he lacks playoff experience and is inconsistent. The entire team lacks experience, which Boston has in spades. Toronto lacks a powerplay... they lack experience D-men. Chara is a monster in playoffs.

I would love to see Toronto win (it pains me to say this) because I dislike the B's...

But it is an extremely unlikely event. I am not saying it can't happen, otherwise why play the games? But, other than NY beating Pitts, this is the least likely upset of all....

In theory Reimer could get hot... but he lacks playoff experience and is inconsistent. The entire team lacks experience, which Boston has in spades. Toronto lacks a powerplay... they lack experience D-men. Chara is a monster in playoffs.

I would love to see Toronto win (it pains me to say this) because I dislike the B's...

But it is an extremely unlikely event. I am not saying it can't happen, otherwise why play the games? But, other than NY beating Pitts, this is the least likely upset of all....

Reimer has been hot for much of the season. Rask really isn't a proven playoff goalie.

The Leafs fate will depend on seeing of Kessel, Kadri and Lupul can be the goal scorers they've been at parts this season.

Reimer has been hot for much of the season.

Rask has better stats...

Rask really isn't a proven playoff goalie.

And you think Reimer has an edge in playoff experience? LOL

The Leafs fate will depend on seeing of Kessel, Kadri and Lupul...

The playoffs are not kind to one line teams... that lack defence...

Rask has better stats...

And you think Reimer has an edge in playoff experience? LOL

You're right Reimer is an unproven quality. But the B's have lost 7 of their last 9

The playoffs are not kind to one line teams... that lack defence...

Well depending on if Bozak is back or not you'll have Kessel, Bozak and JVR on one line and Kadri, Lupul and Kumalin on a second line. Both very potent lines.

Also I don't know how you get the fact the Leafs have a bad Defense. Their Penalty Kill is one of the best in the league.

Again I don't know if they'll win, but I don't think they'll be run out of the building.

I remember last time they were in the playoffs they played Chara's Sens team who had dominated them that season and the Leafs killed them in the first round.

Leafs are 17th in goals against, despite a good PK.... not terribly good defensively 5 on 5.

There is some wishful thinking happening Boges...

Comparing the Sens of yesteryear to the Bruins of today is more wishful thinking...