Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edmonton was just a few years too late for Lucic. His best days are behind him. He had 3 fights last year. He's good for 20 goals, maybe...

He scored 20 last season, and I doubt playing with Connor McDavid is going to make him any worse. He just turned 28... it's not like old age should be a factor.

-k

I think he is going to be the McDavid protector.

An added bonus for sure. Doughty, Milan's old teammate, gave the chosen one a pretty rough ride when the Oil played the Kings last year. I expect some push back from a guy the size of Lucic, will buy Connor a little more room and fewer bruises on the lower back.

One of the things I like about the direction the Oilers have taken since Chiarelli took over is that they are a lot tougher and meaner. He has gotten rid of weak little cream puffs and brought in monsters like Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, Cracknell... These are 235 pound angry dudes who just want to wreck stuff. The way the Western conference is going, having muscle and physicality in the lineup isn't an option, it's mandatory. I'm so sick of my team getting pushed around and beat up every night. That's not happening anymore. Win or lose, teams who play us are going to feel like they've been in a battle.

I also like that Lucic has been part of winning organizations and has a championship ring and even going back to junior hockey has always been a leader and a winner. That's something the Oilers have kind of been missing. Also he is super passionate and super intense and I don't think he is the kind of guy who would go out drinking and partying after losing a blow-out game. I remember reading somewhere that when Chris Pronger came to the Oilers he was really intense about getting his workout time in, and would go in to the training staff and say he needed extra time on the equipment and that kind of thing. And pretty soon everybody on the team was going to the training-staff and saying they needed extra workout time. Because Chris Pronger was doing it. And when you see first-hand somebody with that kind of pedigree doing what it takes to keep on top, you feel like a shmuck for not doing just as much. I hope that Lucic can have the same kind of effect on the other guys.

The other thing about Lucic is that he's completely mental. There's no limit to how passionate he is. Sometimes it can be a detriment... bad penalties and so on. But after many years of the Oilers being the weakest and most indifferent team in the league, this kind of injection of passion and physical intensity is just what they need. And it's contagious... players will want to stick up for each other when they know that their team-mates will stick up for them too.

And that's not even mentioning Adam Larsson... the Oilers haven't had a defender this good since Chris Pronger left. After watching this year's playoffs and seeing how difficult guys like Viktor Hedman and Alex Peterangelo are to play against, I'm more convinced than ever that having that guy on your defense is important. The guy who can play 25+ minutes of mistake-free defensive hockey against the toughest forwards and absorb scoring chances like a black hole. I haven't personally watched enough of Adam Larsson to know for sure if he's that guy, but everything I have read about him says that he is. And he's only 23 and he's only improving.

All these years since Pronger left, the Oilers have lacked that on their defense. And they were afraid to make the big trade to bring in somebody like that. But clearly Chiarelli isn't afraid. Trading Taylor Hall takes massive gonads. I think it is going to pay off.

-k

The Oilers just signed Milan Lucic to ride shotgun for Connor McDavid! I expect at least 25 goals and 25 beat-downs from him this season.

if by 'beat-down' you mean 'fights', no... that's gone where it belongs - outahere! Intimidation, and down-low play is where Lucic (and Maroon... and Kassian) excels. Bigger/tougher team now, oh ya!

... Cracknell...

And that's not even mentioning Adam Larsson...

Cracknell - UFA not given qualifying offer. Larrson? A gamble - time will tell.

And that's not even mentioning Adam Larsson... the Oilers haven't had a defender this good since Chris Pronger left. After watching this year's playoffs and seeing how difficult guys like Viktor Hedman and Alex Peterangelo are to play against, I'm more convinced than ever that having that guy on your defense is important. The guy who can play 25+ minutes of mistake-free defensive hockey against the toughest forwards and absorb scoring chances like a black hole. I haven't personally watched enough of Adam Larsson to know for sure if he's that guy, but everything I have read about him says that he is. And he's only 23 and he's only improving.

Larsson was +15 , playing against the best lines on the opposition, and withe Devils checking line out there too. He was an offensive Dman in junior, and the Devils play a defence-first system that he was obliged to adapt to.

The Oilers still need another NHL defenceman.

Hendricks and Pakarinen are two others who don't mind playing it tough.

Edited by overthere

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 9:42 PM, Slick said:

Lucic, hits, fights, digs, grinds, gets under the skin of opponents and scores. $6M might be a little steep but he is the type of guy the Oil need.

So far, he has been much more than just a goon.  Lucic was really good in all ways on Thursday , when the Oilerrs beat the Blues 3-1. Scored the winner, had some great chances, and ground it out on the boards against a really good team.

Lucic cannot skate with McDavid, but in fairness- who can?

The Oilers would not have won a close game against a good team last or previous years.  Fingers crossed....