Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phaneuf traded to the Sens.

Dion Phaneuf, Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and Cody Donaghey to the Sens.

Jared Cowen, Colin Greening, Milan Michalek, Tobias Lindberg, and a second-round pick in 2017 to the Leafs.

So Phaneuf, Frattin and a bag of pucks for another bag of pucks and second round pick next year.

Edited by Boges

Salary dump. Phaneuf is a second pairing defenceman making first pairing money in a very long deal.

The Leafs are collecting their pennies, maybe to try and get Stamkos. Still not sure why Steve would want to lose that many games for that many years, when he can get megabucks from many teams.....

It is the Loser Bowl tonight, Leafs vs Oilers. They met earlier this year, and the Oilers had one of their worst games of the year, which is saying something.

Leafs are going full Buffalo now in a season ending tank job: trading their better players and not calling up their best prospects. I wonder if Babcock is part of the strategy, or just doing what he can with what he is given?

Weird stat: the Leafs have beaten the teams that host 'generational' players, in their first meetings. They beat The Oilers when Gretzky had his first game against the Leafs, they beat the Pens with Crosby in their first meeting, tonight is the first game against McJesus McDavid.

It is the Loser Bowl tonight, Leafs vs Oilers. They met earlier this year, and the Oilers had one of their worst games of the year, which is saying something.

Leafs are going full Buffalo now in a season ending tank job: trading their better players and not calling up their best prospects. I wonder if Babcock is part of the strategy, or just doing what he can with what he is given?

Weird stat: the Leafs have beaten the teams that host 'generational' players, in their first meetings. They beat The Oilers when Gretzky had his first game against the Leafs, they beat the Pens with Crosby in their first meeting, tonight is the first game against McJesus McDavid.

With two goals and three assists, McDavid McJesus seemed to go against the odds.

So will the Leafs be able to sign Stamkos? Are there any other potential homes outside of TO and Tampa? Sports media makes it seem like a two horse race, so here are my thoughts on Tampa vs Toronto.

Money: I estimate that Steve is "worth" about $11M per season. Tampa can offer him 8 years, every other team can offer 7. The Leafs certainly have the cap space to pay $12.6M per season to offset the extra year in Tampa. So money is likely a non-issue.

Ego: Steve will be the man in either city but his ego will be fed more in Leaf obsessed TO. However, this fame and status a double-edge sword. He also can't go out in public like he does in FLA and Leafs Nation can be vicious to their players if the team doesn't get results.

Endorsements: Steve will certainly earn more in endorsements playing out of a larger market. However, this is likely offset by the lack of an income tax in Florida. Endorsements do add cash flow and cachet, but also rob time and personal freedom.

Weather: Toronto is a great city but Tampa has year round golf, ocean, beaches, etc. Stamkos is from Toronto, so the cold is likely not a big issue but then again he has been living in Florida for 7 years.

Success: Steve has been to the cup finals with Tampa and the club is currently playoff caliber. He knows there will be about 3 seasons of suck ahead of him in Toronto.

It seems like a close race. Will the dream of leading his hometown team to greatness and the associated glory trump a more comfortable and free lifestyle? I don't think so. My bet is he will stay in Tampa.

So will the Leafs be able to sign Stamkos? Are there any other potential homes outside of TO and Tampa? Sports media makes it seem like a two horse race, so here are my thoughts on Tampa vs Toronto.

Money: I estimate that Steve is "worth" about $11M per season. Tampa can offer him 8 years, every other team can offer 7. The Leafs certainly have the cap space to pay $12.6M per season to offset the extra year in Tampa. So money is likely a non-issue.

Ego: Steve will be the man in either city but his ego will be fed more in Leaf obsessed TO. However, this fame and status a double-edge sword. He also can't go out in public like he does in FLA and Leafs Nation can be vicious to their players if the team doesn't get results.

Endorsements: Steve will certainly earn more in endorsements playing out of a larger market. However, this is likely offset by the lack of an income tax in Florida. Endorsements do add cash flow and cachet, but also rob time and personal freedom.

Weather: Toronto is a great city but Tampa has year round golf, ocean, beaches, etc. Stamkos is from Toronto, so the cold is likely not a big issue but then again he has been living in Florida for 7 years.

Success: Steve has been to the cup finals with Tampa and the club is currently playoff caliber. He knows there will be about 3 seasons of suck ahead of him in Toronto.

It seems like a close race. Will the dream of leading his hometown team to greatness and the associated glory trump a more comfortable and free lifestyle? I don't think so. My bet is he will stay in Tampa.

You left put something important, a factor in nearly all big money players.

They can get the money elsewhere. Other teams will pay big bucks for long terms. Money is not really an issue for the player.

Stamkos is the kind of player that knows he is going to on OLympic and world Championship teams. He is going to get his share of those medals to feed the ego. But will he get Stanley Cup(s) in Toronto? In his lifetime? Really good players become great players and HOF candiates when they win Cups. Where can he best do that will be part of his decision.

You left put something important, a factor in nearly all big money players.

They can get the money elsewhere. Other teams will pay big bucks for long terms. Money is not really an issue for the player.

Stamkos is the kind of player that knows he is going to on OLympic and world Championship teams. He is going to get his share of those medals to feed the ego. But will he get Stanley Cup(s) in Toronto? In his lifetime? Really good players become great players and HOF candiates when they win Cups. Where can he best do that will be part of his decision.

How often do players in the NHL make those decisions, successfully, based on Free Agency though? It's not like the NBA were 2 players make the difference.

Marian Hossa perhaps but he joined Chicago at the tail end of his career.

Any team with the talent to win now can't have the cap space to afford him.

How often do players in the NHL make those decisions, successfully, based on Free Agency though? It's not like the NBA were 2 players make the difference.

Not many franchise players get to free agency, and Stamkos may not get there himself.

If I accept the notion that only contenders cannot afford him, that leaves about 24 teams that might. And dumping slaries to afford whatever is hardly new, we have just watched Toronto do it the last couple seasons. Contending teams can just as readily dump a couple $5M players, get Stamkos and still contend. Rangers, Pittsburgh, LA come to mind. Nashville can afford to lose another good defenceman. Anaheim also has a bunch of Grade A young defence prospects and needs offence. I don't mean in a trade for Stamkos, I mean a 3rd party trade to free cap room for Stamkos.

Ray Borque...

Brett Hull?

Both Pre-Cap I believe. And they got the Cup at the Tail end of their career. Stamkos is in his prime and demands max money.

I think moving to a team that has a chance definitely factors into the equation a lot. It may not be successful very often, but how many times do you hear a player waive his "no trade clause" for specific teams? The teams are rarely Carolina, Toronto, NY Islanders, etc... players want to go to a contender.

25:1 odds of a cup are better than 0:0 odds....

Yep. And Bourque was traded in a moment of generosity by the Bruins, out of respect for the long and great career from Bourgue. They weren't going to win, and gave him a chance that worked out with Colorado.

The three greatest years Hull had were spent- not coincidentally- on the wing next to one of the alltime great passers in hockey history. Adam Oates. When Oates left the Blues, Hull never came close to scoring as much in the next several years, and was not a great player for about the last 8 years oif his career..

TRades of guys like Stamkos are rare indeed. Lindros?

The Lightning have said they won't trade him. Heck the Panthers lead that division, they have a chance this year.

It's kind of foolish trying to speculate on where someone will decide to go. Who knows if he wants to be second fiddle to the guys on LA or wants to go home and be part of Toronto's rebuild.

I guess we'll see.

BTW anyone see Snoop Dogg rocking a Mitch Marner jersey?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/snoop-dogg-rocks-mitch-marner-knights-jersey/

Hossa got it wrong in Pittsburgh and Detroit before landing in Chicago too.

Tampa has the cap space and is a playoff team that went on to the finals last season. Will they be next year? Who knows?

So does Komarov get an extra punishment because they guy he nailed just got back from a Concussion injury.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/komarov-ejection-elbow-mcdonagh-1.3454675

No. He deserves a suspension simply because it was a dangerous, dirty elbow to the head; but, no additional time because of McDonagh's circumstances. Maybe Leo can plead temporary insanity, like Wideman.

He should get punished because of the intent to injure and the actual injury.

It was a very dirty play. He had the opportunity to lay into him with a clean bodycheck that probably would have sent him flying and would have been a beautiful hockey play... instead he threw an elbow into his face.