Hey let's talk about the Leafs

Boges

So does Komarov get an extra punishment because they guy he nailed just got back from a Concussion injury.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/komarov-ejection-elbow-mcdonagh-1.3454675

Nah. Never been suspended before, so he will likely get 3 to 5 games for that cheapo elbow.

Komarov is the player I like best on the Leafs, though not this kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the McDavid - Eichel showdown last night in Buffalo. My young son is a big McDavid fan, so it was nice to see Connor get two and to see just how good he really is. Unfortunately, the game was an absolute snooze-fest. Both teams mailed it in and clearly would have settled the outcome with a paper/rock/scissors/lizard/Spock contest if given the choice. Plus the weather, and the fact that only 3 lanes were open at the border, turned my two hour drive home into just over six.

Still, to see just how much better Connor is than everyone else on the ice, may almost have been worth it. He is Crosby-like in that regard. His hands and ability to control the puck and dangle at full speed is just incredible to watch. Add a little more size and strength to that frame and he will be dominant for a long time. Eichel on the other hand has looked pretty unremarkable every time I've watched him play. He's definitely talented, with an accurate shot but he rarely stands out from others on the ice. While McDavid will take the torch from Crosby as the leagues best player, Eichel may one day become a Tavares. Not much of a showdown, but it managed to sellout a game between basement dwellers during a storm.

Edited by Guest

Crosby plays a much grittier game than McDavid. The player he reminds me of is Pavel Bure, who could also dangle and handle the puck. But McDavid works harder and has more hockey sense than Bure ever had. He is 19 years old!

I guess you haven't seen many Oilers games. That was actually a good effort from them. They are not tanking to get a better draft pick, that is what they are like. Not long ago, they'd have lost that with some bad goaltending too.

I guess you haven't seen many Oilers games. That was actually a good effort from them. They are not tanking to get a better draft pick, that is what they are like. Not long ago, they'd have lost that with some bad goaltending too.

My son is a big fan so we've watched quite a few games. The fact that they are often lazier doesn't make that game any better. I wonder if the team parties a little too much or if the lack of a veteran leadership presence has allowed for such a severe lack of professionalism on the ice. Edmonton has some very talented individuals, but a culture problem that is going to be hard to fix. I'm not a fan of the Leafs, but watching the work ethic of that crappy, shell of a team leads me to believe their rebuild will bear fruit in 3ish years, not 10+.

Babcock has a great rebuild situation on his hands. A roster not talented enough to win very often, so they will get a strong pick, but with the opportunity to create a culture where the players have to work hard to prove they want to be in the lineup. There is a reason they paid to get rid of Kessel; Babcock and management don't want loafers in the room, no matter how much talent they possess.

Edmonton's leaderless environment has allowed their young talent to mature in an environment where taking shifts and games off is normal. With so many soft, lazy, talent guys on the team I don't think they can be fixed. Even a modern day Messier, Pronger or Roberts would have trouble reforming that group. Guys like Nuge and Yakupov will thrive when traded to other teams with a more professional culture; which, I'm sure scares management. However, when the culture is broken, drastic measures are required. It's time to trade some talent for great work ethic and strong leadership before they poison their new phenom.

Babcock has a great rebuild situation on his hands. A roster not talented enough to win very often, so they will get a strong pick, but with the opportunity to create a culture where the players have to work hard to prove they want to be in the lineup. There is a reason they paid to get rid of Kessel; Babcock and management don't want loafers in the room, no matter how much talent they possess.

Edmonton's leaderless environment has allowed their young talent to mature in an environment where taking shifts and games off is normal. With so many soft, lazy, talent guys on the team I don't think they can be fixed. Even a modern day Messier, Pronger or Roberts would have trouble reforming that group. Guys like Nuge and Yakupov will thrive when traded to other teams with a more professional culture; which, I'm sure scares management. However, when the culture is broken, drastic measures are required. It's time to trade some talent for great work ethic and strong leadership before they poison their new phenom.

You haven't identified the correct culprits. The management is vastly inmproved since McTavish and Lowe are not involved. The OIlers have fired everybody about a year ago: management(all)m all the coaches, all the scouts.

You got Yakupov right, but not because he is lazy. He just has no hockey sense at all. None. He is the worst first overall pick since Patrik tefan.

Nugent Hopkins is an excellent player, and works hard at both ends of the ice. A keeper for sure, though he may get traded since he might have to move to the wing.

Hall is a very good player, top ten scorer but is not a leader. Doesn't matter, defitniely a keeper.

Eberle has loads of skill, but is lazy on defence Bye, and thanks.

The OIlers did very well at the deadline. They got rid of Schultz, who was just awful. They got rid of Purcell, who is just too soft. They poicked up some large ad unpleasnt men, which is what they need.

Dreisatl is also a keeper, a large skilled and very young center. Mcdavid and him are the 1-2 centres of the future

But what they really need is better defenceman. They have a couple guys(Klefbom and Nurse) who may develop into 1-1 players.

Chiarelli will be busy this summer. The OIlers will have a high first round pick again, and that will be in play as well.

Eberle will be packaged with a prospect or player and will be gone. Possibly RNH too, though I doubt it.

Yakupov will be gone for next to no return too. He isn't worth much in a trade. It is also very possible he ends up in the KHL.

• 3 weeks later...

I will never get used to the franchise system. It just doesn't seem right to reward poor performance instead of punishing it. In the English Premier (soccer) League, the bottom three teams are kicked out every year and replaced by the top three teams from the lower league. In many seasons the most exciting games are those to try and avoid relegation. Many of the relegated teams go bankrupt and they always undergo painful changes and loss of star players. So when I see the valuation put on a team that has won nothing in decades, I can't get too enthusiastic.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I will never get used to the franchise system. It just doesn't seem right to reward poor performance instead of punishing it. In the English Premier (soccer) League, the bottom three teams are kicked out every year and replaced by the top three teams from the lower league. In many seasons the most exciting games are those to try and avoid relegation. Many of the relegated teams go bankrupt and they always undergo painful changes and loss of star players. So when I see the valuation put on a team that has won nothing in decades, I can't get enthusiastic. The Golden Horseshoe deserves a second team.

Those leagues also have no salary cap or revenue sharing agreements. So the rich teams can always simply buy the best players.

Those leagues also have no salary cap or revenue sharing agreements. So the rich teams can always simply buy the best players.

Yes. That is one drawback. Although look at the EPL leader at the moment, Leicester City, a team with very modest resources.

My principle objection to the franchise system is that it offers a job for life to billionaires irrespective of performance. In a relegation league, many smaller cities would lose their teams but the Leafs would probably face competition from a nearby neighbour, if they managed to stay in the league. It's a bit ridiculous that a hockey mad area like the Golden Horseshoe has been limited to one team that has done so badly for years. The fans basically have no alternative.

Yes. That is one drawback. Although look at the EPL leader at the moment, Leicester City, a team with very modest resources.

My principle objection to the franchise system is that it offers a job for life to billionaires irrespective of performance. In a relegation league, many smaller cities would lose their teams but the Leafs would probably face competition from a nearby neighbour, if they managed to stay in the league. It's a bit ridiculous that a hockey mad area like the Golden Horseshoe has been limited to one team that has done so badly for years. The fans basically have no alternative.

Should Leicester City win it could be one of the biggest Underdog stories in professional sports history. The exception proves the rule. On the other hand look at a team like Barcelona which is stacked with some of the world's best players all on one team.

A system of tiered leagues in pro sports would require a completely differently perspective on how North American sports are run. Ownership in one of these leagues is like a club. And in some cases it's a license to write money. BUT in markets where the fan base isn't so loyal as in Toronto, producing a winner is a must.

But the North American Pro Sports model is also highly communist. Bad baseball teams can play in front of empty stadiums and still make money because of revenue sharing agreements. The powerful teams (like the Leafs) prop up the weaker ones. The argument is, that a healthy league is good for everyone.

I think the Leafs have finally realized that just trying to make the playoffs everywhere and not building the team from bottom up is the proper strategy, and it seems to be working well for them in the early going.

Should Leicester City win it could be one of the biggest Underdog stories in professional sports history. The exception proves the rule. On the other hand look at a team like Barcelona which is stacked with some of the world's best players all on one team.

But the North American Pro Sports model is also highly communist. Bad baseball teams can play in front of empty stadiums and still make money because of revenue sharing agreements. The powerful teams (like the Leafs) prop up the weaker ones. The argument is, that a healthy league is good for everyone.

I think the Leafs have finally realized that just trying to make the playoffs everywhere and not building the team from bottom up is the proper strategy, and it seems to be working well for them in the early going.

It's just an oddly anti-meritocratic aspect of North American life for me, a cozy club where the goodies just keep coming. I suspect the Leafs could play as badly as they wanted and still make loads of money from their captive audience. Even if the league eliminated one team every ten years, it would restore some semblance of accountability.

It's just an oddly anti-meritocratic aspect of North American life for me, a cozy club where the goodies just keep coming. I suspect the Leafs could play as badly as they wanted and still make loads of money from their captive audience. Even if the league eliminated one team every ten years, it would restore some semblance of accountability.

But then you'd have to get rid of the whole farm system. The AHL, which is the second best hockey league in the world, is a farm system for the NHL. You'd have to flip the system on its had and cut ties (and support) from pro clubs that don't draw nearly as well.

Soccer is so big in Europe in First division teams have somewhat strong support.

But then you'd have to get rid of the whole farm system. The AHL, which is the second best hockey league in the world, is a farm system for the NHL. You'd have to flip the system on its had and cut ties (and support) from pro clubs that don't draw nearly as well.

Soccer is so big in Europe in First division teams have somewhat strong support.

Even if only one team got kicked out every ten years? I think the system could cope with that.

You would agree the situation in Toronto over the last few decades has been pretty hard to take? Massive profits for dreadful performance.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Even if only one team got kicked out every ten years? I think the system could cope with that.

You would agree the situation in Toronto over the last few decades has been pretty hard to take? Massive profits for dreadful performance.

Are any of the Candian teams losing money? I don't think Toronto is alone in their owners cashing in while sucking hard. Admittedly, they are league leaders due to longevity.

Are any of the Candian teams losing money? I don't think Toronto is alone in their owners cashing in while sucking hard. Admittedly, they are league leaders due to longevity.

The Leafs just seem like outstanding offenders. They have the most resources of any Canadian team and have done very little to justify their inclusion in the league of late.

The Leafs just seem like outstanding offenders. They have the most resources of any Canadian team and have done very little to justify their inclusion in the league of late.

You don't seem to get the essence of pro sports. The league doesn't care what the Leafs do on the ice, it is how they do at the bank that matters to the NHL. And the Leafs do well at the bank.