Romney, The Inevitable Nominee

The best part is that spoiler Ron Paul is messing up everybody else. Mitt can coast home now...

as other candidates drop out, ron paul gets a chance to get their votes. especially from the relatively large anti-mormon voters.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because Romney has the right image, and as long as he doesn't say much and continues to project that image, he's in. On the other hand, he may not be the best choice to win in debates against Obama.

he may not be the best choice to win in debates against Obama.

Private equity trembles over 'vulture' label as Romney rises

As Mitt Romney has established himself as the front-runner for the Republican nomination, not only has his record at Bain Capital come under intense scrutiny and withering attacks — but so has the private equity industry.

Mr. Romney’s opponents are the loudest, accusing such firms of carving up companies and cutting jobs. Newt Gingrich said over the weekend that Bain looted companies and fired employees, and Rick Perry on Tuesday called private equity firms “vultures.” An anti-Romney documentary calls him a “predatory corporate raider.”

This is your hero?

It's because Romney has the right image, and as long as he doesn't say much and continues to project that image, he's in. On the other hand, he may not be the best choice to win in debates against Obama.

Nobody is going to defeat the incumbent president based on debates, not even blowhard historian Newt Gingrich. Americans will either choose to stick with Obama's domestic and foreign policies or make a change. Just as Democrats prayed for a continued "jobless recovery" in 2003 - 2004 to defeat Dubya, Republicans only have a real chance to defeat Obama if the current employment malaise continues through the election. The Obamacare battle has already moved to the courts.

as other candidates drop out, ron paul gets a chance to get their votes. especially from the relatively large anti-mormon voters.

There isn't really a large anti-mormon group of voters. It's a small percentage. The same bigoted small percentage that wouldn't vote for a women, or a minority, etc.

I think that the Republicans are smart to pick a mainstream candidate like Romney. He will give Obama a good run, and - given the economy - will likely win IMO.

I agree. Although it's difficult to beat an incumbent President. Normally I don't think VP picks are that important. In Romney's case, it probably is.

I agree. Although it's difficult to beat an incumbent President. Normally I don't think VP picks are that important. In Romney's case, it probably is.

I don't see it that way...the Republicans have a serious problem with internecine warfare, starting with Tea Party types. So you might tell Romney to pick Ron Paul as a running mate, that would be selling out! Gains made last midterms in Congress are also at risk if they move to the center. This campaign is President Obama's to lose, not for Republicans/Romney to win.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

There isn't really a large anti-mormon group of voters. It's a small percentage. The same bigoted small percentage that wouldn't vote for a women, or a minority, etc.

So, a minority was elected in .. how is that working out for you? If you vote based in image, you will not get a leader that fixes things. You get another puppet like Obama.

If you want substance and integrity, Romney is not your man either.

Edited by GostHacked

So, a minority was elected in .. how is that working out for you?

I don't understand your question. All I was stating is that the vast majority of people vote based on the candidate themselves, and not whether or not somebody is a woman, or a minority, or a mormon, etc.

If you want substance and integrity, Romney is not your man either.

We can agree to disagree. :)

I don't see it that way...the Republicans have a serious problem with internecine warfare, starting with Tea Party types. So you might tell Romney to pick Ron Paul as a running mate, that would be selling out! Gains made last midterms in Congress are also at risk if they move to the center. This campaign is President Obama's to lose, not for Republicans/Romney to win.
I disagree. Romney needs someone to balance the ticket: he needs a blue-collar, possibly social conservative, pitbull-type, preferably from the West. Santorum or Christie might be OK but they are from the NE.
I'm kind of surprised that Romney is doing so well. Republicans and conservatives are generally against Obamacare and Romney's the only guy to start up such a thing on a state level. He's not going to dismantle Obamacare, he's simply going to re-shape it.
There's a big difference between Obama and Romney on health care. Obama wanted a national programme. Romney has argued that it should be left up to each state.

Nobody is going to defeat the incumbent president based on debates, not even blowhard historian Newt Gingrich. Americans will either choose to stick with Obama's domestic and foreign policies or make a change. Just as Democrats prayed for a continued "jobless recovery" in 2003 - 2004 to defeat Dubya, Republicans only have a real chance to defeat Obama if the current employment malaise continues through the election.
Ultimately, I have to agree. But the unemployment numbers are not going to change significantly in the next eight months. (ie. It's not going to fall to 5%).

----

It appears that Romney wants to frame the election as a referendum on the free-enterprise system. This is a smart move because it will shift independent voters to the Republicans. It'll also make the campaign interesting for us in the bleachers!

Nevertheless, I agree that most Americans vote with their wallets. Obama's geographic support in 2008 matches perfectly with regions where house prices fell significantly.

This campaign is President Obama's to lose, not for Republicans/Romney to win.
Or as we say in Canada, oppositions don't win elections; governments defeat themselves. At most, an opposition can present a credible alternative so that voters have a viable option. Edited by August1991

But is there an inevitable nominee, though ? Hint: Look at the top of the page.

of course there is an inevitable nominee. romney received 25% in iowa and as expected 40% in his neighbouring state of NH. but this is far from over. the votes from other candidates will have to go somewhere and as i mentioned, the anti-mormon voters could be the deciding factor. judging from previous posts by you and others, ron paul has done a lot better than expected.

of course there is an inevitable nominee. romney received 25% in iowa and as expected 40% in his neighbouring state of NH. but this is far from over. the votes from other candidates will have to go somewhere and as i mentioned, the anti-mormon voters could be the deciding factor. judging from previous posts by you and others, ron paul has done a lot better than expected.

It's far from over in terms of the time and process that remains, but I don't think we have seen anything that will unseat the inevitable nominee.

I think that the Republicans are smart to pick a mainstream candidate like Romney. He will give Obama a good run, and - given the economy - will likely win IMO.

you like polls? because the polls show that ron paul has pretty much the same chance against obama as romney.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, run neck-and-neck with President Obama in a general-election matchup, according to a new CBS News poll released late on Monday that shows the two front-runners in Tuesday's New Hampshire GOP primary running stronger against the president than their fellow Republicans.

Romney posts a two-point lead over Obama, 47 percent to 45 percent, within the poll's margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points. He leads Obama, 45 percent to 39 percent, among independent voters.

Obama's lead over Paul is just one point, 46 percent to 45 percent, as Paul leads among independents by 7 points.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/poll-romney-paul-tie-obama-20120109

Edited by bud

you like polls? because the polls show that ron paul has pretty much the same chance against obama as romney.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, run neck-and-neck with President Obama in a general-election matchup, according to a new CBS News poll released late on Monday that shows the two front-runners in Tuesday's New Hampshire GOP primary running stronger against the president than their fellow Republicans.

Romney posts a two-point lead over Obama, 47 percent to 45 percent, within the poll's margin of error of plus or minus 2.8 percentage points. He leads Obama, 45 percent to 39 percent, among independent voters.

Obama's lead over Paul is just one point, 46 percent to 45 percent, as Paul leads among independents by 7 points.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2012-presidential-campaign/poll-romney-paul-tie-obama-20120109

That's all well and good. But Ron Paul most likely isn't going to win the nomination.

Then there's this...

what's the points in posting information on catholics when you know that it's the evangelicals that are a factor:

Romney's Mormon Faith Likely a Factor in Primaries, Not in a General Election

White evangelical Protestants – a key element of the GOP electoral base – are more inclined than the public as a whole to view Mormonism as a non-Christian faith. And this view is linked to opinions about Romney: Republicans who say Mormonism is not a Christian religion are less likely to support Romney for the GOP nomination and offer a less favorable assessment of him generally. But they seem prepared to overwhelmingly back him in a run against Obama in the general election.

http://www.pewforum.org/Politics-and-Elections/Romneys-Mormon-Faith-Likely-a-Factor-in-Primaries-Not-in-a-General-Election.aspx

this is why south carolina is going to be a good indication as to where the nomination is heading towards.