Any scotch drinkers?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Ballantine's scotch is blended...

I believe you're talking about Ballantine's Finest??(I don't know why they call it thier "Finest" when it's the bottom shelf stuff they offer?)

But you're right,for something under 25 bucks,it's not going to give you the "Whiskey Face"...

• 1 month later...

All Ballantine's scotch is blended...

I believe you're talking about Ballantine's Finest??(I don't know why they call it thier "Finest" when it's the bottom shelf stuff they offer?)

But you're right,for something under 25 bucks,it's not going to give you the "Whiskey Face"...

That's the one. :)

In NB the price of Highland Park is going up. They had a bottle of 21 year for something like $250. However, they still had old stock on the 25 year at $196. I convinced my wife that this was a good investment. The following week we were in there and the new stock had come in and it's $300 a bottle now. I haven't cracked the bottle yet, but I'm going to be sure to savour every drop of it.

Guest Manny

Never forget when my buddy showed up at the party with a little bottle of Teachers. "It's an acquired taste!" he boasted.

Later that night he Yakked. He then remained confined to his room for the weekend, with a bucket next to his bed. No joke!

"How's that acquired taste workin out for ya?" :D

• 1 month later...

Jack! I just finished a bottle, and I'm in the market for bourbon. What do you suggest?

I've looked for Jim Beam Black at local stores, and they just don't have it.

Local stores do have most of the more common ones... Woodford, Bulleit, Gentleman Jim, Maker's Mark, Red Stag, Jim Beam White, etc etc.

Not terribly interested in Red Stag (which sounds gimmicky, and I'm somewhat put off by the advertising, which seems to indicate it's the drink for white girls who want big black cock.) Other than that, open to suggestions. What should I try?

-k

Jack!

I know you said you wanna get bourbon, but have you tried JD Honey? It's delicious! You can't mix it though, shots or on the rocks. I would highly recommend it.

Not terribly interested in Red Stag (which sounds gimmicky, and I'm somewhat put off by the advertising, which seems to indicate it's the drink for white girls who want big black cock.)

-k

Really?! I googled it to see, but I can't find anything.

I'm intrigued though, why? Aiming for a pretty 'small' market-share, no?

Pun indeed intended.

I know you said you wanna get bourbon, but have you tried JD Honey? It's delicious! You can't mix it though, shots or on the rocks. I would highly recommend it.

Is it a liqueur? I got the impression it was a liqueur, and steered clear of it.

Really?! I googled it to see, but I can't find anything.

I'm intrigued though, why? Aiming for a pretty 'small' market-share, no?

Pun indeed intended.

I remembered seeing ads with white girls in bars making eyes at black guys with slogans like "A Different Breed" and "Run Outside The Herd", which without the imagery you'd assume was saying "hey, our new cherry-flavored whiskey is really unique!" but with the imagery ... well, like I said, it came across like "the drink for white girls who love black dick".

-k

IMHO if you want a good booze that won't cost you an arm and a leg, get some Jamesons. And if you are looking for a cheap drunk, get Sambuca. It's 38% so it's cheaper than the regular 40% drinks, but the cheapnerness ends up making it the cheapest way to legally get alcohol for drinking in Ontario (if my calculations are correct)

Is it a liqueur? I got the impression it was a liqueur, and steered clear of it.

Tehnically, it's labelled at liquer, but it's not very liquer-ish. I generally stay away from liquers too but this is good stuff. It's made by JD after all!

If you feel like leaving your comfort zone, it's definitely worth a try.

I remembered seeing ads with white girls in bars making eyes at black guys with slogans like "A Different Breed" and "Run Outside The Herd", which without the imagery you'd assume was saying "hey, our new cherry-flavored whiskey is really unique!" but with the imagery ... well, like I said, it came across like "the drink for white girls who love black dick".

-k

:lol: :lol: ---------------> :huh:

Tehnically, it's labelled at liquer, but it's not very liquer-ish. I generally stay away from liquers too but this is good stuff. It's made by JD after all!

If you feel like leaving your comfort zone, it's definitely worth a try.

I gave this a try with my wife tonight on your recommendation. It's actually pretty good stuff. It definitely has a pronounced honey taste. It's sweet but not cloying or overpoweringly so and still keeps that distinct Jack Daniels flavour. It's actually pretty good.

• 4 months later...

Squid, did you get the Oban too for Christmas? Sounds yummy.

CC, I didn't see your post to me on this thread or I would have responded. I'm glad you liked it, yes I know, I don't really like sweet liquers either but JD Honey is not very liquer-ish as I mentioned.

BTW, speaking of JD and honey... plain JD with a little honey and lemon is a great home-remedy for a chest cold. One ounce with a spoonful of honey and some lemon and you feel it working.

I found an outstanding value scotch called Té Bheag. It's pronounced Che Vek, but looks like Tea Bag. You can find it in the vintages section of LCBO stores. http://www.lcbo.com/...Number=949172

It's a $40 blended scotch that tastes like a much more expensive offering. It's good in it's own right, but becomes outstanding when holiday guests demolish a bottle of it, instead of one of your single malts. Cheers.