Any scotch drinkers?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an outstanding value scotch called Té Bheag. It's pronounced Che Vek, but looks like Tea Bag. You can find it in the vintages section of LCBO stores. http://www.lcbo.com/...Number=949172

It's a $40 blended scotch that tastes like a much more expensive offering. It's good in it's own right, but becomes outstanding when holiday guests demolish a bottle of it, instead of one of your single malts. Cheers.

I've had this and it is quite good. Can't get it here in NB, but it was available in Montréal when I was there.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a bottle of Lagavulin 16. I don't recall trying any of the Islay whiskeys before and am looking forward to cracking it with some good company.

That's a great one! Enjoy.

lol

Its a high-end product, but BC taxes the crap out of it... Lots of taxes.

Sure do. Just cracked a bottle of Walker Double Black. Quite smokey. Very nice.

Unfortunately will have to return to the land of high price booze in a couple of weeks with only two bottles.

lol

Its a high-end product, but BC taxes the crap out of it... Lots of taxes.

Sure do. Just cracked a bottle of Walker Double Black. Quite smokey. Very nice.

Unfortunately will have to return to the land of high price booze in a couple of weeks with only two bottles.

Ok, here is a new one....

Sheep Dip blended scotch. Don't let the name and silly label fool you; this stuff is great. It's smooth with a spicy follow up. Very complex with a range of flavours in there...

Thumbs up to the Sheep Dip!

• 2 months later...

Just a travel tip for all the 'serious' whisky drinkers out there: Visit 'The Whiskey Bar' in Seattle, WA. Over 200 diffeent whiskies available! I never realized our 'sothern cousins' could have such refined tastes!

Cheers!

Paging Team America.

Edited by cybercoma

It's a big country full of people of all different tastes, ranging from refined to roadkill.

-k

Very true - but from a land of committed bourbon drinkers - I was pleasantly surprised by the wide variety. I hope my friends in Kentucky can forgive me :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I picked up a Glenlivet at a Duty Free recently (a full litre for $46 US). My Glenmorangie bottle is almost finished but it is terrific.

I must say, I could never really enjoy a blended scotch, short of perhaps a high-end Johnny Walker (Red is is only good for mixing), after having a single-malt scotch. It's like drinking water. Jameson's is alright too but that's not a scotch.

I much prefer Rye for a lower-end sipping drink. Most Canadian Rye's available are just fine. (Alberta Premium, Wiser, CC and Crown)

I caution against anyone buying Crown Royal Maple though. It tastes like cough syrup. I only use the bottle I currently have to spike coffee in the evening, won't buy it again.

Edited by Boges