Any scotch drinkers?

For example, I got my bottle of Dalmore 12 in Edmonton for $43 + tax. I have seen the same bottle here for $70 + tax. Here a bottle of Redbreast costs $56 + tax, in Edmonton I bought one for $42 + tax.

-k

Yes the prices are higher in BC.

But I don't understand your "$56 + tax."

When I go and buy my bottle of Stoli it's, iirc, $37.45. When I pay for it it costs $37.55 due to the $0.10 deposit.

IOW, the tax is already in the price (and is probably something like $16 of the price which is why it costs more in BC than AB).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will keep an eye open. Have you been to Edradour yourself? It would be neat to visit little distilleries like that. Maybe when I'm rich I will do a tour of scenic distilleries.

-k

Not yet, but have seen slideshows etc through the Companions group. They do a Whisky Tour every year that has an outrageous cost associated with it that I just can't get by.

http://www.thequaich.com/pdf/CoQ2011TourItinerary+Registration.pdf

Check out the details though, it's a pretty impressive vacation. I'll do it one day on my bike, I dream of shipping it over there and spending a month touring around the UK and Ireland.

Two that I have tried a few years ago and were delicious:

Oban 14 yr old

Dalwhinnie 15 yr old

I remember enjoying them... I just don't remember exactly what they tasted likee since it was a few years ago.

The should bottle scotches in smaller bottles. I don't go through a lot and it is very expensive. It would be nice to enjoy more of them...

Question: Once you open a bottle, does it last a long time without de-flavouring (or whatever the word might be....)? How long?

Question: Once you open a bottle, does it last a long time without de-flavouring (or whatever the word might be....)? How long?

Once Scotch is bottled its flavour does not change or age, unlike wine.

At 43%+ alcohol content, a bottle can usually sit around for years with little harm (although store it in a dark place, preferably cooler rather than warm, etc).

If the bottle only has a little bit in it (say, less than a cup) then it may "spoil" sooner.

• 2 months later...

I'm ressurecting this thread...Well...Because I can...

I'm currently imbibing in Ballantine's Finest...I know,I know...It's the cheap stuff.But for the money spent (13 and change for a micky),it's fairly good!Frankly,it's pretty good if you drink it neat.It's even better with about 2 spoonful's of water.The water kills the harshness of the alcohol and brings out the notes in the flavour of the scotch.I would wager that it's an even better mixer than Johnnie Walker Red,which is a spectacular mixer,especially with Coke.It's actually not that far off Johnnie Walker Black...A cut or two below,but not that far off...

Less than 25 bucks for a 26er...As blended Scotch goes,that's what I call a steal!

Why they call it Ballantine's Finest is beyond me?It's the cheapest label in the Ballantine's range.Unfortunately,I cannot find the next scotch up from that at any of the LCBO's in my area.I'm keenly interested in the 12 year old version.They have quite an expensive range,and,I'm in the mood for tryin' em all!I've seen prices for a bottle of Ballantine's 30 year old go for almost $500.

Anyway,for those that enjoy a wee dram once in a while,just thought I'd give the heads up...

I'm ressurecting this thread...Well...Because I can...

I'm currently imbibing in Ballantine's Finest...I know,I know...It's the cheap stuff.But for the money spent (13 and change for a micky),it's fairly good!Frankly,it's pretty good if you drink it neat.It's even better with about 2 spoonful's of water.The water kills the harshness of the alcohol and brings out the notes in the flavour of the scotch.I would wager that it's an even better mixer than Johnnie Walker Red,which is a spectacular mixer,especially with Coke.It's actually not that far off Johnnie Walker Black...A cut or two below,but not that far off...

Less than 25 bucks for a 26er...As blended Scotch goes,that's what I call a steal!

Why they call it Ballantine's Finest is beyond me?It's the cheapest label in the Ballantine's range.Unfortunately,I cannot find the next scotch up from that at any of the LCBO's in my area.I'm keenly interested in the 12 year old version.They have quite an expensive range,and,I'm in the mood for tryin' em all!I've seen prices for a bottle of Ballantine's 30 year old go for almost $500.

Anyway,for those that enjoy a wee dram once in a while,just thought I'd give the heads up...

I have a bottle of glenfiddick in my cabinet usually. I like the real smokey stuff.

My Mom brought back a bottle of Laphraoig from Florida back in the Fall...Speaking of peaty,smokey,Islay scotches...

I think she said she picked it up for around $45 US...I've seen it at the LCBO for close to $70...

I have'nt been over to try a sampler,but I'm thinkin' I might sneak in for a snort! ;):D

Edited by Jack Weber

• 1 month later...

Since last time I posted in this thread, I've tried Highland Park 12 year and Basil Hayden Kentucky bourbon. The Highland Park was pretty nice, but not something I'd put on my "must buy again" list. Basil Hayden is ok, but I liked Buffalo Trace better.

-k

• 1 month later...

I'm not a drinker, but my wife likes single malt so the cabinet has a bunch of bottles accumulated over time. Her favorites so far are Oban, Lagavulin and Auchentoshan. Last time through Heathrow, I picked up a Johny Walker sampler, four 200 ml bottles of Black, Blue, Gold and Green blends, costs about $80CDN which is a good deal. Hasn't been opened yet, she isn't big on belended Scotch but the $200+ JW Blue is supposed to be good.

If you are travelling through London, Heathrow has a huge duty free with lots of Scotch selection and a helpful staff who know something about the product- very useful for somebody who knows nothing, like me.

But the best store I've seen is -not surprisingly- in Edinburgh. There is a Scotch-only store, a pretty big one, on the Royal Mile just a bit below the Castle. They have thousands of different Scotches there, from cheap stuff to about $12,000 for a single bottle! It is all a bit overwhelming. The staff there are also really knowledgeable and helpful. Cheaper at Heathrow, but far less selection.

• 1 month later...

As as Bourbon goes...

You really cannot go wrong with Jim Beam...

Although Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark give it a good run for its money....

Tried Maker's Mark on your recommendation, and find it yucky. While I realize that aging in charred casks is a mandatory part of making bourbon... the burnt wood flavor in Maker's Mark is excessive. It's kinda gross. :(

-k

Tried Maker's Mark on your recommendation, and find it yucky. While I realize that aging in charred casks is a mandatory part of making bourbon... the burnt wood flavor in Maker's Mark is excessive. It's kinda gross. :(

-k

I would'nt call it gross...Admittedly,Makers is the sort of entry point into the world of good Bourbon,"entry point" being the key phrase...

Perhaps you got a bad barrel?...It happens sometimes...

It's kinda like what Glenfiddich is for single malt Scotch...

Ya' gets what you pay for....

Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve are a different price point,though.Ihave'nt had Buffalo Trace,mainly because I can't seem to find it here...I've heared that it's spectacular.I can speak to Woodford Reserve and it's worth the near 50 bucks for a 750 ml bottle..

I'm on the look out now for Wild Turkey 101,Four Roses Yellow Label,and,Four Roses Single Barrel...

Edited by Jack Weber

I would'nt call it gross...Admittedly,Makers is the sort of entry point into the world of good Bourbon,"entry point" being the key phrase...

Perhaps you got a bad barrel?...It happens sometimes...

It's kinda like what Glenfiddich is for single malt Scotch...

Ya' gets what you pay for....

Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve are a different price point,though.Ihave'nt had Buffalo Trace,mainly because I can't seem to find it here...I've heared that it's spectacular.I can speak to Woodford Reserve and it's worth the near 50 bucks for a 750 ml bottle..

I'm on the look out now for Wild Turkey 101,Four Roses Yellow Label,and,Four Roses Single Barrel...

My bottle of Maker's Mark was $40, and Buffalo Trace sells for $45 here (and well worth the extra $5 IMO). Prices here are pretty ridiculous though... I've found scotches that sell for $60-$70 here can be purchased for $40 in Edmonton. I'll have to price things out on my next trip back home.

-k

My bottle of Maker's Mark was $40, and Buffalo Trace sells for $45 here (and well worth the extra $5 IMO). Prices here are pretty ridiculous though... I've found scotches that sell for $60-$70 here can be purchased for $40 in Edmonton. I'll have to price things out on my next trip back home.

-k

My bottle of Makers was 37 and change at the LCBO...Apparently they sell Buffalo Trace in Ontario,it's just not available anywhere near me...

Buffalo Trace costs about the same as Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek here....It around the 45 buck range.I did pick up a bottle of Jim Beam Black yesterday for just a bit more than 28 bucks.It's actually pretty good considering the price.It's only a little bit more than the standard White Label but light years better....

Pretty much. Except to me, it all tastes like hand sanitizer.

I am consuming Jim Beam Black as I type this...

This is a very underrated whiskey because of it's name...

If one likes sweet honey,vanilla,caramel,and, a little charred oak...Like I do...

This is a damned good bourbon at a reasonable price....

Edited by Jack Weber

I was at a party once where this Korean guy kept offering me Chivas. "Chivas! Most greatest!"

Except he had such a thick accent that I didn't understand him and I kept telling him "No, I don't want any Sea-bass."

I felt quite the fool later when I figured it out.

-k

Reading about alcohol always makes me want to try it. All the descriptions of woody flavour and single and double malts is very intriguing.

But when I do try it, I remember why I don't drink.

It all tastes like gasoline to me.

Pretty much. Except to me, it all tastes like hand sanitizer.

I don't drink because it would be the unethical thing to do in the face of our throwing people in jail for recreationally getting high on anything else.

Since last time I posted in this thread, I've tried Highland Park 12 year and Basil Hayden Kentucky bourbon. The Highland Park was pretty nice, but not something I'd put on my "must buy again" list. Basil Hayden is ok, but I liked Buffalo Trace better.

-k

I'm disappointed you didn't like the Highland more... ok, though, we all taste a litte differently.

Are you able to find the Arron?

• 4 months later...

Good news whiskey fans...

I was just at the LCBO in Hamilton to purchase some Jim Beam Black and my eyes opened up with gleeful surprise...

Four Roses Bourbon seems to be now available in Canada (it's about time!!!)plus Sazerac Rye!!!

Four Roses Yellow Label and Four Roses Small Batch...