Any scotch drinkers?

Which Johnny Walker?

I went halfers with a friend on a bottle of Bruichladdich 16 year old... delicious! Smokey and peaty... but very very smoooooth!! Was aged in American oak bourban barrels. Lovely stuff!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Johnny Walker?

I went halfers with a friend on a bottle of Bruichladdich 16 year old... delicious! Smokey and peaty... but very very smoooooth!! Was aged in American oak bourban barrels. Lovely stuff!!

Islay!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them. The bourban barrels impart a lovely golden hue, but becareful of the tannens, headaches galour!

Which Johnny Walker?

It's blue. Good on you with Bruichladdich. you must appreciate the good stuff.

Islay!!!!!!!!!!!! Love them. The bourban barrels impart a lovely golden hue, but becareful of the tannens, headaches galour!

:lol:

Funny you should mention this... we had a bit too much one night, perhaps.... and I did drink some wine as well... but my hangover (headache) was totally disproportionate to the amount that I drank!! Thanks for the information!! :(

There are 5 different "Labels" in the Johnnie Walker family, most are plonk and all are blended whiskys. I suppose if you just wanted to get legless, it would do. :D

I readily admit I don't know my drinks, and I behave rather badly. But, these social media lets your friends know of your whereabouts instantly, a friend text to get the good deal.

There are 5 different "Labels" in the Johnnie Walker family, most are plonk and all are blended whiskys. I suppose if you just wanted to get legless, it would do. :D

Uh....Red Label is way overrated and far too expensive.It's to blended scotch what Jack Daniel's is to sourmash.The Black,Green,and,Gold Lables are quite reasonably priced and pretty good stuff.The Blue Label is very good,but way overpriced...

• 4 weeks later...

My latest bottle is Sazerac Rye. It's "Straight Kentucky Rye"; I believe the term "straight" requires it be unblended and aged at least 5 years in charred oak barrels. I had been on the lookout for Sazerac for a while and finally found it while I was Christmas shopping.

It reminds me quite a bit of Buffalo Trace bourbon, which is good, because Buffalo Trace is my favorite sipping drink right now. The Sazerac rye has the same sort of pepper-like spicyness that Buffalo Trace has, but Sazerac is more intense and is definitely a drink that wakes your mouth up and warms up your chest when you're drinking it. :)

-k

My latest bottle is Sazerac Rye. It's "Straight Kentucky Rye"; I believe the term "straight" requires it be unblended and aged at least 5 years in charred oak barrels. I had been on the lookout for Sazerac for a while and finally found it while I was Christmas shopping.

It reminds me quite a bit of Buffalo Trace bourbon, which is good, because Buffalo Trace is my favorite sipping drink right now. The Sazerac rye has the same sort of pepper-like spicyness that Buffalo Trace has, but Sazerac is more intense and is definitely a drink that wakes your mouth up and warms up your chest when you're drinking it. :)

-k

Not shocking since Sazerac is the company that distills Buffalo Trace...

• 2 months later...

I found these two little wonders at the LCBO recently that those who would be interested might want to check out...

Old Forester Signature..100 proof bourbon...Distilled by Brown and Foreman (Jack Daniels..Woodford Reserve,amongst others)..Very similar to Woodford,but the bottle I've got has alot more caramel to it...

Very good stuff and a little less than Woodford (which is very good in it's own right!)

George Dickel No.12 Tennessee Whisky...I generally cannot stand the Jack Daniels Old No.7 version of Tennessee Whiskey,but it's lesser known cousin is a spectacular departure...

90 proof..I'm told that Dickel left the "e" out of the word whiskey to show that his Sourmash has a scotchlike quality (the smokey/peaty thing)This has this in small amounts plus the corn sweetness/caramel thing that bourbon drinkers enjoy...All this without the hideous charcoal flavour Jack Daniels Old No.7 has...

George Dickel No.12 Tennessee Whisky...I generally cannot stand the Jack Daniels Old No.7 version of Tennessee Whiskey,but it's lesser known cousin is a spectacular departure...

90 proof..I'm told that Dickel left the "e" out of the word whiskey to show that his Sourmash has a scotchlike quality (the smokey/peaty thing)This has this in small amounts plus the corn sweetness/caramel thing that bourbon drinkers enjoy...All this without the hideous charcoal flavour Jack Daniels Old No.7 has...

Thank you Sir, will have a look next time I visit LICKBO

Thank you Sir, will have a look next time I visit LICKBO

Burlington LCBO right now...Upper Middle and Appleby...Several bottles left...

I've polished off about 1/3 of bottle right now...

It's got a good kick,no doubt!

Edited by Jack Weber

• 2 weeks later...

I found these two little wonders at the LCBO recently that those who would be interested might want to check out...

Old Forester Signature..100 proof bourbon...Distilled by Brown and Foreman (Jack Daniels..Woodford Reserve,amongst others)..Very similar to Woodford,but the bottle I've got has alot more caramel to it...

Very good stuff and a little less than Woodford (which is very good in it's own right!)

Thanks for the tip Jack!! And thanks for keeping the thread alive. I put "scotch drinkers" in the title, but I should have said whiskey drinkers, although I do prefer scotch...

I'm almost out of scotch.... need to review this thread and go try something new!

• 4 weeks later...

Buffalo Trace is a Kentucky bourbon I thought was pretty good.

-k

Hey Kimmy...

I finally got a bottle of Buffalo Trace last week and opened it up tonight...

Cost me $39.95 at 90 proof...It's about the same price as Bulleit at the same proof...

This is pretty good stuff.It's flavour is similar to Woodford Reserve.It has a nice mingling of corn,caramel on the front end that fades to an oaky dryness on the finish that has a lingering prickly heat....

I'm assuming the spicey heat is from the rye in the mashbill?

Also,there was no age statement on the label..I'm assuming it's at least 6 years old...

It does have some complexity,however,I think it might be a bit overpriced.You can get many of these same qualities in Jim Beam Black (a 6 year old 86 proofer)for less than $30...

Jack, do you drink scotch? How would you compare whiskey vs scotch???

Occassionally I drink scotch...

I prefer bourbon,though...

Bourbon is much sweeter than most single malt scotches.This is because bourbon must contain at least 50% corn in the mashbill...Most bourbons have well above 70% corn...The rest of the bill is made up of varying amounts of barely and rye.

Of course there are bourbons like Makers Mark which switches the rye for wheat.This tends to make the bourbon sweeter.The opposite would be Wild Turkey (particularily the 101) which has a high rye content in the mashbill and is a more "spicey" bourbon...

Scotches tend to be heavier,more malted whiskies.Depending on what side of Scotland the whiskey is distilled you can have a heavy peaty flavour (Islay whiskies) or sweeter grain whiskies (Speyside).Examples of the Islay's would be things like Talisker,Caol Ila,Laphroaig etc.The Speysides would be scotches like Glenlivet or Glenmorangie...

You can also have blended scotches like Ballantines,Johnnie Walker,Cutty Sark,Dewars,Teachers Highland Cream etc.Some of these can upwards of 50 different single malts blended to create a certain flavour profile and they tend to be cheaper but more consistent and more readily available...

Single malt scotch on the rocks is my very favourite alcoholic drink. Specifically Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. I visited the Glenlivet scotch distillery in Scotland. If you want to know what a scotch distillery smells like, open a jar of olives and take a big whiff. The complimentary samplings were well worth the stink. :lol: