Any scotch drinkers?

I like scotch but it doesn't like me. Have tried some of the finer ones, like Glenfiddich and Glenlivet. Also recently tried some Irish whiskey- Jameson- it really doesn't like me! ;)

As a kid I thought that you were supposed to drink Scotch and like it - because it was classy - the stuff tastes terrible - world class whiskey made in Canada is superior. A glass of cheap old Crown Royal is as smooth as any high end Scotch -- but then I have been known to drink straight gin out of the bottle - so what do I know?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of gin?

ohhh interested..The fine gin in the blue tint..the bad gin in the Gordons bottle - and the pretentious Beef Eater that lives stickly on reputation. Why do you ask? I got started on gin as a kid. My first glass was straight up at Christmas...some fancey dancey high brows with a lot of social status toyed with me - The glass must have had about four ounces in it...Gin on occassion is very medicinal seeing that the juniper is toxic as well as the alchohol...a bit if good for you....kind of reems out the circulatory system..but to much over a long period of time will thin the capilaries and you might just end up with a very red and vein marked nose..oh well whats a few brust blood vessels to an old man anyway? Long as the big one in your head don't pop....*

What kind of gin?

Ordered up a bottle of Crown Royal ...one of the kids delivered it - the nerve of the daughter - she acutally made me pay for it!...been a long time since I tasted Canadian whiskey - it's not bad..on the rocks - after a couple of sips it goes down like the cool tears of a gentle angel..and the hang over is much more tolerable that - the one you get when I get lazy and buy wine at that frinking Wine Rack across the street...just don't understand why people drink that rotted grape juice..by the time you are enjoying it - you have a belly full of toilet water swishing around in your gut -----------Taste is important - but the alcohol level is of the most importance - don't let anyone tell you they drink for that taste - acquired taste means you have to get use to tolerating booze - which all in all honesty tastes horrific.

I don't drink because it would be the unethical thing to do in the face of our throwing people in jail for recreationally getting high on anything else.

Those that do not drink are usually pretty careful and thoughtful people - which is a good thing, but there are those who do not injest the toxin because they go nuts...and always have a bad experience and put on some wierd horror show - I call them weaklings.

ohhh interested..The fine gin in the blue tint..the bad gin in the Gordons bottle - and the pretentious Beef Eater that lives stickly on reputation. Why do you ask? I got started on gin as a kid. My first glass was straight up at Christmas...some fancey dancey high brows with a lot of social status toyed with me - The glass must have had about four ounces in it...Gin on occassion is very medicinal seeing that the juniper is toxic as well as the alchohol...a bit if good for you....kind of reems out the circulatory system..but to much over a long period of time will thin the capilaries and you might just end up with a very red and vein marked nose..oh well whats a few brust blood vessels to an old man anyway? Long as the big one in your head don't pop....*

That would be Bombay Saphire,would'nt it?

Aqua Velva...

Cheap joke in bad taste - but I guess some called `shakey hands could relate to having the sweetest breath in town. Nothing more wierd than having one of our protected natives guzzle down a large bottle of mouth wash...so Shakey - do you go funny when you drink..

Rot gut pit fermented Port....they used to sell it at the wine store but- company policy dictated that it was bad for buisness to have unsavoury customers come in -----------so for a while they kept it in the back room...and would sell it to the more presentable alcoholics.....just think of it 18% alcohol per volume ---that's pushing towards 20% ....if you do the easy wino math - one bottle of port is equal to a half bottle of vodka....if you can tolerate the first few guzzles.......now they force the winos to drink that shitty tasting white wine made in Ontario...with half the kick - kind of a rip off for the winos....ehhhhhh.

Grandfather Cameron was a big drinker all his life - One day his grandson noticed a change...he said "Grandpa...I notice you don't drink anymore..why is that?" The old mans answer was simple and concise..."I just lost interest" - in time as you mature you will find that this substance does nothing for you anymore other than sap your energy,,,, you might desperatley try to get booze to perform it's uphoric task but it fails in time...so drinking becomes a habitual thing with no reward ---- I am starting to wonder why I bother.

Water - good old fashioned clean - well water....now that is the drink that will make you very very strong - but when my bro was building a house high on a hill over looking a little kettle lake - the town stepped in and insisted he dump a ton of cement down his well - with the most pure water you have ever seen...and CONNECT - to town water pumped up from the treatment plant...that gets it's water from the same place where the sewers empty out...no wonder people want to get drunk.

I don't drink Scotch, or hard liquor in general. If forced, I will take a shot of vodka but I barely appreciate its quality.

I prefer wine, and beer sometimes.

Anyway, while I was in (Eastern) Europe recently, the question of whisky arose - Canadian whisky in particular - and fumbling, I had to explain that there are different types of whisky, just like there is different types of hockey. (I know little of hockey and nothing of Canadian whisky.) Thinking some more, I realized that there is Irish whisky, Scotch whisky, Canadian whisky and American whisky.

At most, I know that Canadian whisky is also called rye whisky. Is it made of rye? I reckon that all whiskies are simply fermented grain that is then distilled. I know that slivovitz/raki is fermented plums, then distilled. Most whisky/cognac/hard liquor is a variation on this theme.

Almost any grain/fruit if fermented will produce sugar and then alcohol. Some alcoholic beverages are fermented then drank (wine/beer) or they are fermented/distilled then drank (cognac/whisky/vodka/rum/gin). By distilling, you can remove some of the water and increase the alcoholic content.

I'm still intrigued why you can ferment, for example, raspberries but not salmon.

-----

Returning to the question of whisky (whiskey?), and returning to Canada after my European trip, I decided to buy small sample bottles of different whiskies - duty free. (Duty free is an entirely different issue. Why is it that people who fly frequently get to avoid paying taxes? Europe has rightly shut this racket down. We in Canada should do the same.) I bought bottles of Jameson's, Johnnie Walker's Red Label, Crown Royal and Jack Daniel's. Then, someone explained that Jack Daniel's is not really American whisky. So I bought a bottle of Jim Beam's - not duty free.

I have yet to taste any of these whiskies. The bottles are sitting on a shelf. Should I mix the whisky with water? Soda water? Ice? Should I eat some bread between tasting? Dunno.

[bTW. What is it with these apostrophes in whisky names?]

Edited by August1991

Salmon is a largely a mixture of protien and fats. Fermentation requires carbohydrates (specifically sugars).

MMMMM salmon wine....fermentaion consists of bacteria waste product - bug poop - it's a toxin - hence intoxication..the slight poisoning that we get when we drink is as the french say...the little death.....this little death has the odd quality of granting euphoria...I wonder if you get the same little buzz when you take your last breath?

IMO, Scotch at least should be drank with a little water, the rest is optional.

Rule of thumb is a drop or three, preferably from the source of where the whisky comes. Water can change everything with whisky, it's incredible really. Water can "open" the whisky up and improve it, and sometimes it can make it seem greasy. Some need water to make them drinkable, most notably 'cask strength' bottlings that are incredibly high in alcohol. At tastings, I always try before adding water and then add a few drops, it's amazing what a few drops can do.

I (heart) single malts.

Rule of thumb is a drop or three, preferably from the source of where the whisky comes. Water can change everything with whisky, it's incredible really. Water can "open" the whisky up and improve it, and sometimes it can make it seem greasy. Some need water to make them drinkable, most notably 'cask strength' bottlings that are incredibly high in alcohol. At tastings, I always try before adding water and then add a few drops, it's amazing what a few drops can do.

I (heart) single malts.

Yup, cask strength definately needs water but there is water and then there is water. Us west coasters tend not to realize how hard and crappy the water can be elsewhere.

• 1 month later...

Tried Maker's Mark on your recommendation, and find it yucky. While I realize that aging in charred casks is a mandatory part of making bourbon... the burnt wood flavor in Maker's Mark is excessive. It's kinda gross. :(

-k

Update...

I'm 100% certain you got a bad barrel....

I bought a bottle of Maker's recently (mainly becuse it was on sale) and I can definately say that you got a bad barrel.I have noticed,from the many reviews on Makers Mark that this sometimes tends to happen.This is definately a "Wheater" bourbon and is definately sweet.Not alot of barrel char at all....

Maybe...Give it another try?