Any UFC/MMA fans?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. The fact that you need to fall back on some non-existent cultural tradition proves my point entirely. Your mindset is an outdated and prudish one. You just can't seem to comprehend two fighters using all forms of martial arts, and not just standing in front of eachother punching like robots.

You've,yet again,misconstrued boxing as a punching contest...

Please view old films of Benny Leonard,Willy Pep,Sugar Ray Robinson,,and Pernell Whittaker...

You'll probably change your mind...

I guess I'm a bit old school,but I watched the Juan Diaz/Juan Manuel Marquez bout from a few weeks ago on TSN on Sunday night...

I like Boxing...I've never been able to get into MMA...

I guess I'm an old square since I prefer boxing to MMA.I admit to watching MMA if it's on and I would rather seem someone win by submission than by a knee to the face or smashing an elbow into the face of someone on his back.For me,nothing in todays MMA can compare to the best days of boxing(long since passed).Go to youtube and watch Hagler Vs Hearns,Leonard/Duran 1,Ali/Frazier etc.

Having said that,I like watching Anderson Silva in the stand up position,great puncher.

I guess I'm an old square since I prefer boxing to MMA.I admit to watching MMA if it's on and I would rather seem someone win by submission

I also prefer submission victories and submission fighters. I love MMA, but I really like boxing too. When I was younger and just getting into boxing, my favourite fighter was Pernell Whitaker. Unfortunately, he was already in his 30's by then. So I only got to see him fight for a couple of years. There just isn't that many good and entertaining boxers left in boxing.

You've,yet again,misconstrued boxing as a punching contest...

I don't really think of boxing that way. I was just using the same stupid logic our anti-MMA friend was using, and applying it to boxing. I really like boxing, or at least used to. There haven't been many good fights in recent years.

That seems a little harsh, doesn't it?

We're talking about Da Shwa here.

Meh, your whiffing is of no concern to me. Keep working on the punching bag sweetie, one day you'll get it. :lol:

Otherwise, hitting a man while he is down is culturally and traditionally a sign of cowardice and gutlessness. Every red-blooded Canadian man knows this, but you are exempt of course.

As much fun as I've had sparring with my boxing instructor over the past few years... if a fight breaks out, I'm still putting my adversary on their back as quickly as I can. When somebody is standing in front of me with the intention of causing me harm, giving them a fair and sporting chance to do so is the last thing on my mind. My only obligation is to myself in that situation. If they wanted a sporting chance at hurting me, they picked the wrong chick. They're going to get judoed onto their backs, and then they're going to get put in an arm-lock until the bouncer gets there, or they're going to get choked or pummeled until they're no longer capable of mounting a threat to me.

And having seen how red-blooded Canadian men act, I believe the overwhelming majority feel the same way. I suspect the same is true of red-blooded Pakistanis, red-blooded Navajoes, red-blooded Moroccans, and red-blooded men from any other corner of the globe: when someone is trying to hurt you, it is your duty to yourself and your family to protect yourself as effectively as possible. Every other consideration is secondary at best.

Your idea of how real red-blooded Canadian men act in a fight indicates that you've probably never seen a real fight.

I just might be that, but a cherished cultural tradition is a cherished cultural tradition and I resent those who think they can just move in and start changing them because it suits their purpose. Not in Canada is what I say. Not now. Not ever.

...and this post makes me wonder if you're doing this as some sort of parody. (but if not, wow.)

"cultural tradition" has been offered as a justification for everything from denying womens' suffrage to forcing kids to recite the Lord's Prayer in school to not allowing Sikhs to wear turbans inside Legion halls. It never works. Why do you think it works this time? It doesn't. Like everything else you've offered here, it's full of fail.

The four biggest provinces have now sanctioned MMA. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

-k

And your reference to non-existent cherished cultural traditions is also your opinion.

Oh, but it does exist. Go ask your mother or the relative closest to having exposure to traditional Canadian values.

Looks like you're completely wrong about your so-called Canadian traditional values. Maybe their yours, but not Canada's.

Right. Some believe ice hockey started in the Netherlands too. That MMA is a recent cultural import - from the evidence that you supplied - there had to be something here before.

Let me guess, a big Walmart shopper eh? <_<

We're talking about Da Shwa here.

So hurtful. So very, very hurful. I mean, some anonymous chickie on the Internet hurled insults at my screen name. How much closer to the heart can you get than that? :lol:

As much fun as I've had sparring with my boxing instructor over the past few years... if a fight breaks out, I'm still putting my adversary on their back as quickly as I can. When somebody is standing in front of me with the intention of causing me harm, giving them a fair and sporting chance to do so is the last thing on my mind. My only obligation is to myself in that situation. If they wanted a sporting chance at hurting me, they picked the wrong chick. They're going to get judoed onto their backs, and then they're going to get put in an arm-lock until the bouncer gets there, or they're going to get choked or pummeled until they're no longer capable of mounting a threat to me.

This is all because you are a girl.

And having seen how red-blooded Canadian men act, I believe the overwhelming majority feel the same way. I suspect the same is true of red-blooded Pakistanis, red-blooded Navajoes, red-blooded Moroccans, and red-blooded men from any other corner of the globe: when someone is trying to hurt you, it is your duty to yourself and your family to protect yourself as effectively as possible. Every other consideration is secondary at best.

Your idea of how real red-blooded Canadian men act in a fight indicates that you've probably never seen a real fight.

:lol::lol: Aw, the chickie is trying to bate me again. Whiff. If this were a discussion about baseball I would be saying, "A swing...and a miss."

...and this post makes me wonder if you're doing this as some sort of parody. (but if not, wow.)

:D

"cultural tradition" has been offered as a justification for everything from denying womens' suffrage to forcing kids to recite the Lord's Prayer in school to not allowing Sikhs to wear turbans inside Legion halls. It never works. Why do you think it works this time? It doesn't. Like everything else you've offered here, it's full of fail.

Well, let's keep that in mind as we move forward into other subject areas shall we? Especially the "It never works" part since it might be used for further citations. Would you like to elaborate on that a bit?

The four biggest provinces have now sanctioned MMA. Whether you like it or not is irrelevant.

No, whether that is relevant or not is irrelevant.

Edited by Shwa

Oh, but it does exist. Go ask your mother or the relative closest to having exposure to traditional Canadian values.

I don't have to. I'm born and raised in Canada. Which is another reason I know for a fact that the so-called Canadian traditional values you speak of are false. They may be your personal values, but not those of Canada. Now maybe you should give it a rest. We get that you don't care for MMA. Why not let us MMA fans discuss things in this thread without your meaningless opinions?

I don't have to. I'm born and raised in Canada. Which is another reason I know for a fact that the so-called Canadian traditional values you speak of are false. They may be your personal values, but not those of Canada. Now maybe you should give it a rest. We get that you don't care for MMA. Why not let us MMA fans discuss things in this thread without your meaningless opinions?

Well for one, if you mother wasn't born in Canada, then that would explain it: your knowledge of traditional Canadian values might not be adequate enough for you to understand. In that case, let it be a lesson to you. And, if my opinions are so "meaningless" why do you keep responding to them? Just admit it, I touched a nerve.

Well for one, if you mother wasn't born in Canada, then that would explain it: your knowledge of traditional Canadian values might not be adequate enough for you to understand. In that case, let it be a lesson to you. And, if my opinions are so "meaningless" why do you keep responding to them? Just admit it, I touched a nerve.

Nope, my mother was born in Canada, and so was her mother. You'll have to take your anti-immigrant bigotry somewhere else.

Nope, my mother was born in Canada, and so was her mother. You'll have to take your anti-immigrant bigotry somewhere else.

Has nothing to do with anti-immigrant obviously, but more like trying to find an explanation of your ignorance. Lacking intimate cultural knowledge could be a result of many things. Another is alienation. But first I suggest you go ask your mother. If she and her mother were born here, then she would know.

No, it absolutely does. You're a flatout bigot.

That would be like the pot calling the kettle black then wouldn't it? I think you are just an alienated Canadian ignorant of our cultural traditions by choice. Let me guess, you were the last picked for sports teams right?

This is all because you are a girl.

If you really think that Canadian men adhere to your fanciful notions of chivalry when faced with a threat, you're either incredibly naive or incredibly dumb.

:lol::lol: Aw, the chickie is trying to bate me again. Whiff. If this were a discussion about baseball I would be saying, "A swing...and a miss."

Bait you? No. I'm just pointing out the obvious: your knowledge of the subject is made plain by your own statements, and it's about as impressive as your knowledge of modern physics, Neutrino Man. :lol:

Well, let's keep that in mind as we move forward into other subject areas shall we? Especially the "It never works" part since it might be used for further citations. Would you like to elaborate on that a bit?

When was the last time "cultural tradition" won out over individual freedom in this country?

Whether gay marriage or Sunday shopping or turbans in the RCMP... the people claiming "cultural tradition" as the reason to forbid something are on a terrible losing streak, and that's not going to change.

"Cultural tradition" and a dollar will get you a donut at Tim Horton's.

No, whether that is relevant or not is irrelevant.

:lol: You're on the losing side. What can you do about it, aside from trolling a few people on an internet forum? Nothing. I hope this thread is therapeutic for you, because it's the only satisfaction you're going to get on this topic. MMA is in Canada to stay. Sorry.

-k

If you really think that Canadian men adhere to your fanciful notions of chivalry when faced with a threat, you're either incredibly naive or incredibly dumb.

Nope, neither. I have coached enough real Canadian sports played by real Canadian men to know that they know hitting a man while he is down is dishonourable as is turtling after you start a fight. Also, so is sucker punching someone, that is gutless and cowardly too. Is that allowed in MMA rules? Debate that against 'cultural tradition.'

Bait you? No. I'm just pointing out the obvious: your knowledge of the subject is made plain by your own statements, and it's about as impressive as your knowledge of modern physics, Neutrino Man.

Naw, you're just another hysterical girl and just want to argue, nothing more. You probably punch like a girl too - remember, thumbs on the outside of your fist kimmy, on the outside...

When was the last time "cultural tradition" won out over individual freedom in this country?

You tell me because the answer to that would indicate how much you actually are paying attention.

Whether gay marriage or Sunday shopping or turbans in the RCMP... the people claiming "cultural tradition" as the reason to forbid something are on a terrible losing streak, and that's not going to change.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha That's hilarious kimmy!! Apparently, you lack some basic knowledge of your own country. Must be that rarified Calgary air and all those phantom bubbas you've been hanging out with. :lol::lol::lol:

"Cultural tradition" and a dollar will get you a donut at Tim Horton's.

You're on the losing side. What can you do about it, aside from trolling a few people on an internet forum? Nothing. I hope this thread is therapeutic for you, because it's the only satisfaction you're going to get on this topic. MMA is in Canada to stay. Sorry.

:lol::lol: You see? You aren't paying attention. I never said anything about MMA not staying in Canada, I could care less. Just that hitting a man while he is down is gutless, cowardly, un-manly and un-Canadian. So as long as there are real Canadian sports around, like hockey, football or lacrosse, MMA isn't much more than the WWF.

Edited by Shwa

Nope, neither. I have coached enough real Canadian sports played by real Canadian men to know that they know hitting a man while he is down is dishonourable as is turtling after you start a fight. Also, so is sucker punching someone, that is gutless and cowardly too. Is that allowed in MMA rules? Debate that against 'cultural tradition.'

Naw, you're just another hysterical girl and just want to argue, nothing more. You probably punch like a girl too - remember, thumbs on the outside of your fist kimmy, on the outside...

You tell me because the answer to that would indicate how much you actually are paying attention.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha That's hilarious kimmy!! Apparently, you lack some basic knowledge of your own country. Must be that rarified Calgary air and all those phantom bubbas you've been hanging out with. :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: You see? You aren't paying attention. I never said anything about MMA not staying in Canada, I could care less. Just that hitting a man while he is down is gutless, cowardly, un-manly and un-Canadian. So as long as there are real Canadian sports around, like hockey, football or lacrosse, MMA isn't much more than the WWF.

People get punched when theyre down in both hockey and lacross fights. Much like in MMA the refs try to stop the fight at that point, but theres often a few punches landed already at that point. In fact in hockey and lacross fighters routinely keep punching while the officials are trying to pull them apart. Youd be banned from MMA for that.

Edited by dre

Well, I hate to break it to you. But MMA is a real sport, played by real Canadian men. Whatever that means. Probably code for White males, or non-immigrants.

I don't recall saying MMA wasn't a real sport, played by Canadian men; but I cetainly question the sporting knowledge of anyone that would "probably" think that football, hockey and lacrosse was some sort of whites-only, non-immigrant "code." Good one tiger, your stripes are showing.

People get punched when theyre down in both hockey and lacross fights. Much like in MMA the refs try to stop the fight at that point, but theres often a few punches landed already at that point. In fact in hockey and lacross fighters routinely keep punching while the officials are trying to pull them apart. Youd be banned from MMA for that.

Banned or forfieture of the match? Maybe a fine. Such transgression of the rules in hockey and lacrosse also usually result in extra penalties. Except when punching somehow who is turtling. As far as I can tell that is the only permissible time to hit someone when they are down. I know plenty of refs in both sports and they sometimes allow an extra shot or too for educational purposes. Every rule has it's exception, even long standing traditionally cultural ones. :D

There's no cultural tradition.

Also, coaching a pee-wee soccer team doesn't make you an authority on fighting.

Also, even the kids on your soccer team are smart enough to not let up on a hostile opponent until after the threat is ended.

I have an instructor. I don't need tips from a pee-wee soccer coach.

Yeah, reference another thread that went badly for you. That'll show me. :lol:

Were the painfully inept smack-talk, faux laughter, and emoticons intended to distract from the fact that you don't actually have a response?

Banned or forfieture of the match? Maybe a fine. Such transgression of the rules in hockey and lacrosse also usually result in extra penalties. Except when punching somehow who is turtling. As far as I can tell that is the only permissible time to hit someone when they are down. I know plenty of refs in both sports and they sometimes allow an extra shot or too for educational purposes. Every rule has it's exception, even long standing traditionally cultural ones. :D

As you're now agreed that hitting a downed opponent is appropriate in certain circumstances, we clearly have nothing further to discuss.

-k

There's no cultural tradition.

Yep, there is. Hitting a man when he is down is gutless and cowardly. Unless you would like to change that cultural tradition which would be difficult since you seem to be unaware of most Canadian tradition.

Also, coaching a pee-wee soccer team doesn't make you an authority on fighting.

Nope, football, hockey and lacrosse. Like I said, real Canadian sports.

Also, even the kids on your soccer team are smart enough to not let up on a hostile opponent until after the threat is ended.

See above.

I have an instructor. I don't need tips from a pee-wee soccer coach.

When you keep whiffing like that, you might want to re-evaluate your instructor's effectiveness. Or your ability to follow simple directions. Or both.

Yeah, reference another thread that went badly for you. That'll show me.

Phantom bubbas is pure kimmy. :lol: "oh no you didn't" snap-snap-snap

Were the painfully inept smack-talk, faux laughter, and emoticons intended to distract from the fact that you don't actually have a response?

Ooo, some anonymous chickie on the Internet is calling out my screen name.

Oh, the bravery!

As you're now agreed that hitting a downed opponent is appropriate in certain circumstances, we clearly have nothing further to discuss.

There are exceptions to every rule. But I did notice how you conveniently side-stepped the issue of sucker punches in MMA. Oh wait, that isn't a Canadian cultural tradition either. :blink:

Edited by Shwa