Any UFC/MMA fans?

I think this past weekend's Strikeforce grand Prix event should put to rest any notion of jumping on a down opponent being "gutless". Werdum was on his back about 40 times, and Overeem did everything he could to NOT go there specifically because that was the most dangerous place for HIM.

In case Shwa and Sir Bandalot didn't get that: the guy on the ground (Werdum) wanted the standing guy to jump on him, that was the entirety of his plan for the whole fight. At one point he literally begged his opponent to jump on him. The guy standing (Overeem) is a world champion kick-boxer, and he wanted no part of that. It was an awkward match, but Overeem won specifically because he avoided the ground.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see Velasquez get punched in the skull by Dos Santos on Saturday night on FOX? Pretty crazy.

I'll bet Dana White probably wished the debut fight on the mega-network lasted more than a minute haha!

Total waste of my time. They could have squeezed an undercard in there instead of ridiculous pre-game profiles.

Cain couldn't have lived up to the hype less than with that fight.

I don't mind seeing a first round KO when you're investing some money either buying the fight or going to a bar to see it because you know you'll see at least 5 of them. But to devote 1 hour for a single fight? Pretty dumb.

Total waste of my time. They could have squeezed an undercard in there instead of ridiculous pre-game profiles.

Cain couldn't have lived up to the hype less than with that fight.

I don't mind seeing a first round KO when you're investing some money either buying the fight or going to a bar to see it because you know you'll see at least 5 of them. But to devote 1 hour for a single fight? Pretty dumb.

Yeah, 1 hour for 1 minute of fighting is hilarious. But the thing could have gone 25 minutes plus time between rounds. I agree, it would have been better to make it a 2-hour thing with a couple of good fights before that one.

On the other hand, it was free (though I don't pay for the regular events anyways).

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Future FOX events will have more fights. I was impressed by the production value of the program. Having the FOX Sports theme playing and the pre-game discussion desk was a little surreal.

I've been watching UFC since the Gracies put it together with Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG) and Bob Meyrowitz as a way to promote BJJ back in '93. I preferred the rules in PrideFC before they went under and were bought by Zuffa.

I don't usually browse these other forums too often, so I'm kind of bummed I missed this thread until now.

Edited by cybercoma

Hilarious... after a full year of hype building Cain Velasquez up to be this unstoppable fighting machine built out of microchips and tortillas... his reign as champion lasts a grand total of 64 seconds. The biggest flop since Gigli.

Junior Dos Santos is like a surgeon.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Hilarious... after a full year of hype building Cain Velasquez up to be this unstoppable fighting machine built out of microchips and tortillas... his reign as champion lasts a grand total of 64 seconds. The biggest flop since Gigli.

Junior Dos Santos is like a surgeon.

-k

I dont think Cain was overhyped really. He built himself up by winning a lot of fights. He IS a great fighter, and I dont think it helped being injured and not fighting for 14 months. It doesnt matter who ya are! Youre one big punch from being done, and it can happen to anyone at any time. Especially against a guy like Dos Santos.

I think its great whats happened in the heavy weight division. 3 fights... 3 new champions. At welter weight middle weight and light heavy it will probably take many years for the belts to change hands 3 times.

The UFC heavy weight division has been garbage for a long time. In the last couple of years is pretty damn good.

There's a problem of perspective with UFC. It's not like boxing where they throw a fighter a bunch of fighters that are way less experienced in order to pad their records. The fights are 3 five minute rounds (5 if it's a title fight) and most of them finish in that time. It's not uncommon for someone to get caught, like Cain did or to be submitted out of nowhere. A few losses doesn't mean a person isn't a great fighter, whereas this would pretty much end a career in boxing. Fighters like Andersen Silva, GSP, and BJ Penn are extremely. There has never been anyone as dominant as Silva, ever. Hopefully Cain bounces back because I would like to see Brock get a rematch against him.

• 3 years later...

One of the biggest upsets in MMA, if not all of sports, in several years last night as Holly Holm defeated Ronda Rousey to win the UFC women's 135 pound title.

Rousey had defeated all of her previous opponents so easily that it seemed like she was unstoppable and might never lose. Few of her opponents lasted more than a minute against her, and only one had lasted a full round. But Holly Holm didn't just beat Rousey, she dominated her in an extremely lopsided fight. Ronda just plain got beat up, whipped, completely outclassed, and pretty much humiliated.

-k

Saw part of that fight. When Holm got Rousey with that left footed sweeping kick to the jaw it was game over.

That kick to the jaw was the coup de grace, but the fight was over a long time before that. It was over when Ronda showed up at the arena with no plan for dealing with an elite boxer who had the mobility and footwork to evade Ronda's bull-rush tactics. It was over when Ronda got the idea that she could beat an elite boxer at boxing. By the time that kick landed, Ronda was exhausted and beat up, and stumbling, and not holding her hands up to protect her head. She'd just eaten a hard punch to the jaw, and was woozy and staggered, and Holm was lining her up for that kick even as Ronda was getting back to her feet. It wasn't one kick, it was the accumulated effects of 6 minutes of punishment that led to that moment.

I wonder if Rousey had any experience against left handed fighters.

It wasn't a problem of Ronda not having experience against left-handed fighters. It was a problem of Ronda not being experienced at getting punched in the face, not being experienced at boxing, not being experienced at fighting somebody who has the speed and footwork to avoid getting clinched...

I think Ronda's coach is a problem. Holm works with the smartest strategists in MMA, and Ronda works with a goof.

-k