Any UFC/MMA fans?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you were walking down the street at night with your wife and young kids and a guy with a knife jumped out and attacked you & your family, and you managed to punch him and he fell to the ground, are you saying you would "do the manly thing" and wait for him to get back up and start attacking you & your family again instead of beating the crap out of him while he's on the ground to disarm/incapacitate him? Ya right!

I would indeed because I would be wearing carbon steel chain mail, carrying several small powerful sidearms and I would be riding a hungry polar bear.

I mean in a cascading fantasy, anything can happen right?

So....I shouldn't respond until I understand the context of the discussion?

:)

I will make the effort next time.

Oh, don't sweat the context, here is all you need to know:

...I find any sport that allows someone to beat on someone else while they are down is somewhat cowardly and definitely unmanly.

(and also very un-Canadian)

The rest is all just great fun! :lol:

But beware, you will have the Police, the CF and knife wielding bandits sic'd on you if you agree. :o

While I'm not really on board with the criticisms of MMA--I don't care anything for it, and find it exceedingly dull, and so can't get exercised about it in any way--I can't quite understand why people keep summoning real-life threatening situations, or police or military actions, to "explain" the sport.

I feel that's taking a mere commercial sport just a little too seriously.

I agree...

My son's Sensei always tells the students that in a street fight you get one chance...And you don't want o be standing in an alley,slugging it out with someone.

THERE ARE NO RULES IN A STREET FIGHT!!!!

He teaches the students that if you first cannot get out of the fight,and you have no choice,end it as fast as possible...

MMA has very little to do with street fighting,although it might have more to do with it than Boxing,it's still simply a show...

Oh, don't sweat the context, here is all you need to know:

(and also very un-Canadian)

The rest is all just great fun! :lol:

But beware, you will have the Police, the CF and knife wielding bandits sic'd on you if you agree. :o

What a conveniently selective memory you have. :lol:

-k

Edited by kimmy

Guest TrueMetis

Never really got MMA, If I want to see people kick that crap out of each other I can get the same basic experience by going to a party and waiting. The upside is I don't have to pay for it and most of the people who fight have watched MMA so they do a lot of what you would see in MMA. (though not to the same level of skill) As for what a "real man" would do in a real fight, every fight I've ever seen has been take the guy to the ground and pound this shit out of him. And having taken Gracie jiu-jitsu (ironically the type that put UFC on the map) taught by someone who has been in plenty of fights the most important thing I've learned is take the other guy out as soon as possible. The other is maintain control.

ETA where I live is the only certified Gracie academy in Canada. :D

Edited by TrueMetis

I note it's particularly attractive to weak, inferior types. Mentally and physically.

Well then it must have been extremely upsetting for you to have had your ass beaten (figuratively speaking) so badly by those you consider your inferiors in this thread.

I note it's particularly attractive to weak, inferior types. Mentally and physically.

Let's recap. You entered the thread making inaccurate statements about MMA, insulting people who enjoy the sport, and claiming that if people disagree with you it's because they've been conned by UFC propaganda. And when your claims were disproven and your flimsy-ass arguments were shredded in short order you backtracked on all of it and said "heey I'm just saying there should be rules k thx bye"

And then you vanish from the thread. But then you return with...

They can knee the guy repeatedly in the face when he's down, I think that's allowed. Elbowing is allowed, for sure. What next, stomping his testicles with 6-inch stilletto spiked heels?

Helluva great sport...

;)

Which is a truly splendid way of proving to everyone that you really don't know what you're talking about. And, having that pointed out for you, you slink off again.

But instead of having the sense to stay gone, you're back with...

Considering how spectacularly badly this thread has gone for you, I'm having a hard time seeing where your sense of superiority comes from. I mean, I literally can't recall if you've posted a single accurate piece of information or presented a single defensible argument in the whole thread. Based on what you've shown us so far, I'm not sure you're the right guy to be calling others inferior.

It appears to me that (to paraphrase my mom) you have an arrogance that's not particularly well deserved.

So how does a guy who's made such a fool of himself in this thread feel entitled to go about dubbing others inferior? Why don't you explain it for us, smart-man?

-k

Au contraire madame, I am enjoying this thread immensely!

Me too! :D

We've gone from sports to real life to a discussion of psychology (vis a vis "selective memory") all because of some gutless and cowardly - and un-Canadian - acts that are allowable by the rules in MMA and that overshadow the delicate art of "grappling."

:lol:

To counteract the conveniently fantastical memory you have. :lol:

I wasn't the one who invented a distopian 'Shwa where packs of juvenile drug dealers are wandering around with handguns...

I think the most interesting psychological aspect of this discussion is the cognitive dissonance of those who decry striking a grounded opponent as cowardly while defending the blindside headshot, stickwork, and general thug mentality that are so ingrained in the great Canadian sport of hockey.

-k

You mean the NHL and pro teams , not hockey in general

Oh come on. Who's the greatest representative of the Canadian warrior spirit? Scott Stevens. What's he best known for? Knocking people out when they're not looking.

What's the ultimate Canadian martial arts move? Pulling a guy's jersey over his head and pounding his head while he can't see.

What do hockey fans say to people who don't like fighting or checks to the head? "Why don't you go watch figure skating?"

I love hockey, btw. I'm just saying hockey guy there is the last guy who should be condemning the morality of other sports.

-k

Oh come on. Who's the greatest representative of the Canadian warrior spirit? Scott Stevens. What's he best known for? Knocking people out when they're not looking.

What's the ultimate Canadian martial arts move? Pulling a guy's jersey over his head and pounding his head while he can't see.

What do hockey fans say to people who don't like fighting or checks to the head? "Why don't you go watch figure skating?"

I love hockey, btw. I'm just saying hockey guy there is the last guy who should be condemning the morality of other sports.

-k

All of that is at the pro and junior level, which was my point, no more no less.

minor hockey has changed greatly in the past ten years, and the penalties for much of what you wrote are large.

I dont get mma much, but not going to slag it either.

• 4 months later...

This Sat. March 19 at UFC 128 its a light-heavyweight title fight: Shogun Rua VS Jon "Bones" Jones.

Jones is an absolutely incredible young phenom and so exciting to watch, could be the next Anderson Silva. This kid is 21-1, and at only 23 years old he already has a title shot in the UFC's toughest division!

Can't wait!

This Sat. March 19 at UFC 128 its a light-heavyweight title fight: Shogun Rua VS Jon "Bones" Jones.

Jones is an absolutely incredible young phenom and so exciting to watch, could be the next Anderson Silva. This kid is 21-1, and at only 23 years old he already has a title shot in the UFC's toughest division!

Can't wait!

I think that title is gonna change hands. Iv been a Rua fan since his days in pride but Bones Jones is a phenom thats good at everything.

Jones is pretty amazing, but this is a huge step up in competition for him. Stuff he has been able to get away with against lesser fighters may not work against a guy as skilled, fast, and experienced as Shogun.

-k

Jones is pretty amazing, but this is a huge step up in competition for him. Stuff he has been able to get away with against lesser fighters may not work against a guy as skilled, fast, and experienced as Shogun.

-k

Depends on which Rua we get. He's coming off of knee surgery. The last time he had to take time off for that, he lost to Forrest Griffin, and was given almost all he could handle by a Bruce Willis looking 50 year old Mark Coleman.

If I had to put my money on the line, I'd go for Jones.

Depends on which Rua we get. He's coming off of knee surgery. The last time he had to take time off for that, he lost to Forrest Griffin, and was given almost all he could handle by a Bruce Willis looking 50 year old Mark Coleman.

If I had to put my money on the line, I'd go for Jones.

Good point about the injury and the layoff... he looked really dynamic against Lyoto, though.

-k