Any UFC/MMA fans?

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the UFC!

I couldn't believe the Silva/Sonnen fight a couple of weeks ago. It was legendary! I'm a big fan of Rampage Jackson and GSP. But I also really like Jon Jones, Jon Fitch, and Shane Carwin. My favourite fighter was Dan Henderson, but he left to fight in a different organization.

I love the UFC!

I couldn't believe the Silva/Sonnen fight a couple of weeks ago. It was legendary! I'm a big fan of Rampage Jackson and GSP. But I also really like Jon Jones, Jon Fitch, and Shane Carwin. My favourite fighter was Dan Henderson, but he left to fight in a different organization.

Ya the Silva/sonnen fight was insane. I can't wait for the rematch. I can't stand Rampage, he's just a moron who can punch hard. GSP is awesome, yeah. I don't have a ton of favorites, i just like great fights, and that usually comes from great match-ups rather than great fighters. Though as i said, i love Silva because of his unworldly striking and athleticism.

Im a huge fan, started out watching PRIDE so Im a big Fedor fan, and also a big Shogun Rua fan. GSP and Bones Jones are probably my favorites now though although its not as fun watching GSP now that hes cleaned out the division.

I want GSP Vs Silva... A catch-weight fight at 177.5 lbs. Winner gets BOTH titles!!!

Enjoy watching Overeem over on Strike Force too. And Cain Velasquez.

Edited by dre

I couldn't believe the Silva/Sonnen fight a couple of weeks ago. It was legendary!

FINALLY... something we can agree on!

I felt pretty bad for Sonnen, and I'm not sure he tapped out. He did however take it like a man, and going in to the fight I thought he was going to get his rear end handed to him by Silva.

Big fan of GSP (of course...) and of Clay Guida, just because he looks crazy if nothing else!

I can't stand Rampage, he's just a moron who can punch hard.

Come'on, Rampage is a great guy! And if you've ever seen him fight in Pride, you know he does a lot more than just punch hard.

No interest in most blood sports.

I think that's a common misconception. People usually confuse the UFC from 15 years ago with the UFC today. The UFC of today and the last several years is fully regulated, just like other sports. There's also many rules and restrictions. And only a very small percentage of fights are ever really bloody.

FINALLY... something we can agree on!

I felt pretty bad for Sonnen, and I'm not sure he tapped out. He did however take it like a man, and going in to the fight I thought he was going to get his rear end handed to him by Silva.

Big fan of GSP (of course...) and of Clay Guida, just because he looks crazy if nothing else!

Definitely. I thought Sonnen was going to get knocked out in the first round. I was impressed that he backed up what he said in the build up to the fight. I like Guida too. He goes full out all of the time.

I can't believe people still watch other people fighting and consider it entertainment. It bores me to tears.

To each his own.

I guess I'm a bit old school,but I watched the Juan Diaz/Juan Manuel Marquez bout from a few weeks ago on TSN on Sunday night...

I like Boxing...I've never been able to get into MMA...

I also like boxing, and I watched that Diaz/Marquez fight too. My favourite fighter was Pernell Whitaker back in the day. Now I'm not really sure.

Anyone see the Colture/Toney fight and the Penn/Edgar rematch last weekend?

Toney, what a piece of crap. And Penn just gave up half way through the fight. People said his corner was horrible, and their right. They offered no advice, just pep-talk motivational poop. Penn didn't change his gameplan virtually at all from the last fight or during this fight. It's like he just wanted to land one good punch on Edgar...but couldn't. He should have brought the fight to ground for most of the match. But props to Edgar he just wooped him.

I guess I'm a bit old school,but I watched the Juan Diaz/Juan Manuel Marquez bout from a few weeks ago on TSN on Sunday night...

I like Boxing...I've never been able to get into MMA...

Boxing is the sweet science. MMA is too crude for me.

I heard it was being banned in Canada, too many fighters getting their brains beat out. Gee that's not surprising.

See the problem is, wherever ther's alot of money involved there's pressure to perform. But someone needs to protect the fighters from permanent injury.

I have caught it on TV now and then, and it's quite amazing as a sport goes. One on One, caged match, any style. We can see how different disciplines compare to one another, and we can see advantages of one over another in some areas.

There is debate on letting this flourish in Canada, too much violence and something about our kids. But I would compare it to boxing and other one on one sports. Both contenders know what they are getting into and know what to expect.

It's not something I would or do watch regularly but when I do, I find it fascinating to see how different styles fight each other.

I have caught it on TV now and then, and it's quite amazing as a sport goes. One on One, caged match, any style. We can see how different disciplines compare to one another, and we can see advantages of one over another in some areas.

There is debate on letting this flourish in Canada, too much violence and something about our kids. But I would compare it to boxing and other one on one sports. Both contenders know what they are getting into and know what to expect.

It's not something I would or do watch regularly but when I do, I find it fascinating to see how different styles fight each other.

not for me, it seems every match despite the different styles ends up on the floor with one guy smashing the other guy in the head repeatedly...I prefer to watch boxing v boxing, judo v judo, TKD vs TKD...UFC seems more like brawl you outside a bar on a friday night...

I like boxing, but MMA is infinitely more complex than boxing.

I heard it was being banned in Canada, too many fighters getting their brains beat out. Gee that's not surprising.

See the problem is, wherever ther's alot of money involved there's pressure to perform. But someone needs to protect the fighters from permanent injury.

I never heard anything about it being banned in Canada. In fact the UFC recently fought in Vancouver and is coming again soon to Montreal, and Ontario last week ruled that it will allow MMA.

The sport isn't for the weak of heart, but there has never been a death in UFC history (est. 1993), and only 2 documented in all of MMA. Wikipedia says there were 68 deaths in boxing from 2000-2007, and 200 boxing deaths since 1980.

Maybe it is safer than boxing? In boxing you are punching a guy's head in for 12 rounds. In UFC the fights are usually only 3 rounds, sometimes 5, and blows to the head are much less frequent since they also kick to the legs and body and spend much time grappling on the ground, and many MMA fights (about 1/3) end in submission which is much safer than KO's.

But i agree they definitely need to keep on top of the health of athletes. Ontario says they will regulate it which is good.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Good point. If i had a young kid i wouldn't let him/her watch it, as it can be a bit bloody and might encourage some mimicry in the school-yard etc. (like i used to do with wrestling lol). I'd maybe wait until my kid were a teenager at the very least before they could watch.

I am of the same opinion and prefer boxing. I find any sport that allows someone to beat on someone else while they are down is somewhat cowardly and definitely unmanly.

I've heard all the MMA apologist rhetoric, but it still comes down to that. Pretty soon they will allow kicking to the head while someone is down and then, eventually, the complexity of knives.

Bread and circuses. Where are those confounded lions anyways? :D

Edited by Shwa

Good point. If i had a young kid i wouldn't let him/her watch it, as it can be a bit bloody and might encourage some mimicry in the school-yard etc. (like i used to do with wrestling lol). I'd maybe wait until my kid were a teenager at the very least before they could watch.

It is symbolic of the barbarous age we are descending into. The cheering of crowds demanding to see more blood, real blood.

Pretty soon they will allow kicking to the head while someone is down and then, eventually, the complexity of knives.

Bread and circuses. Where are those confounded lions anyways? :D

Oh yes, itwould go there. How about a streetfight show, in which dudes wearing cool looking clothes kick each other in the throat, pull switchblades and leave permanent scars. While women get raped in the stands.

Now, that's entertainment...

It is symbolic of the barbarous age we are descending into. The cheering of crowds demanding to see more blood, real blood.

We are no where near Running Man, or all those awesome game shows you saw on Robocop ... Climbing for Dollars was my fave.

And there was a time when Romans would fight in the Colosseum, and that will be way more brutal than anything we can put on TV.

Edited by GostHacked

Society's embrace of more violent entertainment is probably a symptom of the increasingly fearful times we live in. We are descending because we are so weighted down with fear.

I've always been bored all to hell by wrestling and boxing etc myself.

I guess you don't like hockey fights then.

I honestly don't think it's symbolic or a symptom of anything. It feeds into man's natural craving for violence that has been present in most visual entertainment mediums for a long time (movies, comic books, bugs bunny cartoons, videogames, wrestling, and sports like hockey & football).

People (mostly men) in the west have enjoyed watching people getting kicked in the face since Bruce Lee films became popular in the early 70's. I think it's healthy to get these violent male fantasies out via relatively safe, controlled forms of entertainment. I suppose there is a point to draw there line though, and appropriate ages for different entertainment.

MMA isnt more violent than boxing, and its a LOT safer. Boxers routinely suffer permanent brain damage from repetetive blows to the head, and boxing gloves which ironically were designed to prevent head injury, have the exact opposite effect.

Boxing destroys fighters, MMA doesnt.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/83188/is_ultimate_fighting_safer_than_boxing.html

My part-time work often shows UFC events, so I often get to see them for free. :) I've been learning boxing for a few years. I did years of Judo when I was younger. My special guy of many years was a Huge Pants ranked student of Aikido. I just have an appreciation of the techniques, and I often learn something from watching top level jiu-jitsu experts.

I assume you're referring to BC Medical Association call for a ban on the sport. They don't know what they're talking about. They have no evidence to support the claim that "too many fighters are getting their brains beat out", they themselves admit that they have little data to support their call, and that it's primarily based on the premised that it "seems dangerous".

You're more likely to see permanent injury on the ski-slopes than at a mixed martial arts event. If it's the safety of the competitors that is the concern, there are a *lot* of sports that should be banned before we look at mixed martial arts.

I think peoples' real issue is not safety, but some sort of moral concern. I don't share it. The guy on his back knows lots of techniques to keep the other guy from punching him in the head, and if he can't, the referee will stop the fight very quickly.

-k

I think peoples' real issue is not safety, but some sort of moral concern.

-k

No kidding.

I could probably get into watching pit fights between entrepreneurs that try to turn moral concern into law.

Every match could be a death match, there'd never be a shortage of contenders.