Videogames. You play 'em?

If so, what are some of your fav games and/or what are you playing right now?

Xbox 360

right now I play Halo with wyly Jr probably my fav video game, we're on the ODST version right now...

Half life was interesting, problem solving while something is trying to eat eat you...

Modern War 2, I always die and Jr has to stay close to me to cover my butt...

Mass Effect was fun but once you play it all the way through there's no urge to play it again...

video games have come a long way since I first played Pong in a pub...

Edited by wyly

Video games play me, :\ .

This summer I have been played by... Fallout 3, Supreme Commander, Medieval 2: Total War & Medieval 2: Total War Kingdoms, Metroid Prime: Corruption 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort, Just Dance, Disgaea DS, Pokemon Soul Silver, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor, Tiger Woods Golf 10, ... and probably a few others that do not come to mind at the moment.

I am not much interested in trying to figure out what my " favourites " are. But I imagine StarCraft II will be one one of them... Just five more days...

Edited by Remiel

I think more males like playing the more violent kind of games to do with war, am I right? By playing these games at an early age I wonder if there's any connection to young men signing up in the military because of the thrill and high SOME may get of killing? Thoughts?

I think more males like playing the more violent kind of games to do with war, am I right? By playing these games at an early age I wonder if there's any connection to young men signing up in the military because of the thrill and high SOME may get of killing? Thoughts?

No....we didn't need no steenkin' video games to get violent...we had...GI Joe!

No....we didn't need no steenkin' video games to get violent...we had...GI Joe!

Do you remember 'Big Jim' plus his Sports Camper. He's the King of the Road. Then you help him unload...? Seemed like Barbie's 'manly' boyfriend...rather than that douche-bag Ken.

:lol:

Re: video games...you'd like this one.

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/UncommonValor/features_2.asp

Xbox 360.

Right now I'm playing Red Dead Redemption. I highly recommend it! It's a great western themed game.

Red Dead definately has the best big world game engine ever written... even though theres still lots of bugs in it. Im looking to see what other games get made with that engine.

Platform of choice is the PC (I do own a PS2)

Team Fortress 2

GTA IV + Tales of Liberty City (free roam mode with 10+ players rocks)

Red Faction Guerrilla

Left for Dead 2

World of Goo

Machinima

And I have yet to get Homeworld 2 + the latest Complex Mod on win 7 :(

I'm sure it had some impact.

I also subscribe to game magazines and they have ads in there.

I'm sure it had some impact.

I also subscribe to game magazines and they have ads in there.

Its kinda sick that military recruiters target children. They show up at schools in the US and in the last few years theyve been heavily targetting young gamers. The US military actually developed and sold an FPS a few years ago with the purpose of recruiting children.

Mass Effect was fun but once you play it all the way through there's no urge to play it again...

If I want something I can play over and over again, Rockband or car racing games are a great way to kill some time. Or "going out" and "exploring" the beautiful fantasy landscape of Oblivion.

But for me, Mass Effect (and ME2, and KOTR, and Dragon Age...) are something completely different and way more involving. They're interactive stories... 30-hour long movies where you get to be the central character.

But... certainly not as replayable, because no movie is as good the second time around. The storytelling element is really powerful, but once you know how the story ends, it's just not the same.

-k

If I want something I can play over and over again, Rockband or car racing games are a great way to kill some time. Or "going out" and "exploring" the beautiful fantasy landscape of Oblivion.

But for me, Mass Effect (and ME2, and KOTR, and Dragon Age...) are something completely different and way more involving. They're interactive stories... 30-hour long movies where you get to be the central character.

But... certainly not as replayable, because no movie is as good the second time around. The storytelling element is really powerful, but once you know how the story ends, it's just not the same.

I was a nasty female lesbian in Mass Effect, it was fun...went through once haven't played since...

• 3 weeks later...

Its kinda sick that military recruiters target children. They show up at schools in the US and in the last few years theyve been heavily targetting young gamers. The US military actually developed and sold an FPS a few years ago with the purpose of recruiting children.

I wouldn't say they are targeting "children". The average gamer is over the age of 30 now. Tons of people who play games like Call of Duty or Halo and read gaming magazines are around that perfect military target age of 18.

I remember the game you speak of. "America's Army" i think you're referring to. It was a U.S. military training program that was tweaked and ported to consoles. Back around 2005/2006 I played Halo 2 online on xbox with a young guy in his early 20's who served in Iraq for the U.S. army, and when he was back in the U.S. he would played that game.

If so, what are some of your fav games and/or what are you playing right now?

I can play video games for hours, but I've found that my attention span for learning how has hugely diminished over the years. Thus I'm extremely reluctant to even try a new game because the complexity of any game I might enjoy is such that it would require hours of reading, studying and learning in order to play it remotely well. Or maybe that's just me. I like/need to know everything about the world I immerse myself in, everything about how it works and the consequences of various actions. I like to play. I don't like to study.

Games I can't put down.

Company of Heroes. - My fave RTS next to the Homeworld series. CoH is the most polished and balanced RTS I have played to date. I've been playing online recently and there are some damn fine players out there. Not so good with the germans, but can hold my own with the Brits if I go arty, and Americans if I go Armor.

CnC III (and expansions) - easy to learn hard to master. But stay away from CnC4 and Red Alert 3. ...

Recently finished Machinarium and World of Goo. I do need more puzzle games like Machinarium.