Upgraded Forum

Greg

Funky!

But Greg, simplicity with style will always win.

After all, Maple Leaf Forum amounts to a bunch of people chatting, before the general public, with easy access/links to previous comments and to basic facts.

IMV, Internet forum software is a work in progress. I suspect that funky/glitz will fall by the wayside.

----

My first reaction is a thumb's down. Why? To pick an old example, an Internet forum should be like a local pub. I stop in and have a chat. To modernize my example, it helps if the chat is easy to join again, regardless of when I left.

And there's something else: It's not clear that this pub conversation is recorded, and available to anyone on the planet.

As I say, IMV, this upgrade is merely funky/glitz and Internet Forum software is a work in progress. I'm curious to see where this leads.

PS. Internet "newspaper" comments may kill Internet forums such as Maple Leaf Forum. Why post here when I can post on the G&M comment sections?

Edited by August1991

PS. Internet "newspaper" comments may kill Internet forums such as Maple Leaf Forum. Why post here when I can post on the G&M comment sections?

Well, to quote a wise man...

My first reaction is a thumb's down. Why? To pick an old example, an Internet forum should be like a local pub. I stop in and have a chat.

People who drop by their local pub to chat with the regulars aren't the sort of people who'd find the comments section at the bottom of a G&M story to their liking.

-k

On the previous version, we had a menu selection with assistant and such. Will that come back or is it just me and I can'd locate it? Also, I can't seem to get to my personal messages section.

Ok, it popped up this time, must have been a glitch with the personal messages, however,

my inquiry about the assistant remains.

I don't have that menu thing, with personal assistant, and can't send PMs. If I click on the PM box the whole screen goes gray and nothing happens thereafter until i refresh.

And btw, what does adding someone as a friend mean or do?

I prefer proper English spelling and "colours" is not proper. That would be pronounced "co-lau-ers".

I think you need to speak to the English about that because that is how they spell it "colours"!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

Edited by Nat

Guest American Woman
We working on a complete redesign of the forums, and a lot of colours/etc are going to be moved and changed.

I am taking in everyone's suggestions into consideration,

Like this suggestion to replace the "IP Board" logo? ;)

Guest American Woman
Maybe if this was "NAFTAboard" or "Can-Am Forum" instead of Mapleleaf Web"... :P

Where's the love? It's would show that Maple Leaf Web is a Canadian site that embraces it's neighbor to the South. B)

Greg, I'm curious about the voting buttons on each post. It seems like a good alternative to replies that basically say "I agree", or just have some smiley faces in response to someone. I tried it out, but I got a pop up box that said I had used up my quota of positive responses for the day, even though it was my first one. Is this a glitch, or is this functionality turned off?

I prefer proper English spelling and "colours" is not proper. That would be pronounced "co-lau-ers".

The Americans have always had a shortage of "U"s so they've been spelling words without for generations. Someone ought to fix that but America is more about "Me" than "U" so no one has ever really bothered.

Doesn't make the spelling correct, though.

Not really.

The comments are pre-moderated and not freewheeling enough.

The Americans have always had a shortage of "U"s so they've been spelling words without for generations. Someone ought to fix that but America is more about "Me" than "U" so no one has ever really bothered.

Doesn't make the spelling correct, though.

Actually when I was in Second Grade in academic 1964-5 we were taught that "both spellings" were OK. I have since learned that the spelling with the "U's" was not proper English.

People who drop by their local pub to chat with the regulars aren't the sort of people who'd find the comments section at the bottom of a G&M story to their liking.

-k

I dunno.

I had a friend who owned a cafe/pub in Quebec City and every so often, he thought about renovating the place. After endless discussions of what to do/change, he invariably decided to leave it the way it was. As he said, "The regulars feel comfortable here and the tourists think that it's authentic. The young poor kids aren't afraid to come here."

I know that engineers have an urge to "fix things" but if I were Greg, I'd leave it alone. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

-----

As to the G&M comments section, it's the same as this forum but on a much larger scale. This place is a local pub; the G&M comment sections are like a Manhattan bar. The G&M comments section has the added benefits of an intelligent OP and closer policing.

There are perhaps a few other technical differences: in Maple Leaf Forum, it is easier to post quotes and links. We can search previous posts here. The G&M comments don't offer these features now but they will likely be added.

Newspapers, discussion forums and the Internet are, as I say, a work in progress. I think smart newspaper owners/publishers (at least in Anglo-Saxon countries) are starting to understand why the "Letters to the Editor" page and the classified ads were so important.

Edited by August1991
  • Downvote 1

• Forum Admin

I don't have that menu thing, with personal assistant, and can't send PMs. If I click on the PM box the whole screen goes gray and nothing happens thereafter until i refresh.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

And btw, what does adding someone as a friend mean or do?

It just means you respect or like their opinion. If you add someone as a friend, their name will appear (under your Friends) in your profile.

• Forum Admin

Greg, I'm curious about the voting buttons on each post. It seems like a good alternative to replies that basically say "I agree", or just have some smiley faces in response to someone. I tried it out, but I got a pop up box that said I had used up my quota of positive responses for the day, even though it was my first one. Is this a glitch, or is this functionality turned off?

The error you were receiving before has been fixed. Voting a post positively, or negatively, affects a members overall reputation. You can read a detailed technical explanation here, otherwise, it works very similar to the ignore feature, but on the post level (rather than on the member level). If enough users vote down a post - giving it a lower reputation, you can set a filter up to not show any postings with that poor of a reputation. Look at the bottom of each thread, you'll see "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?" - you can select that and modify the thread to only show postings of a specific reputation level.

Actually when I was in Second Grade in academic 1964-5 we were taught that "both spellings" were OK. I have since learned that the spelling with the "U's" was not proper English.

Well, you were taught wrong.

I know that engineers have an urge to "fix things" but if I were Greg, I'd leave it alone. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Security wise, I didn't have a choice. The forums needs to be regularly updated to keep hackers at bay.

As to the G&M comments section, it's the same as this forum but on a much larger scale. This place is a local pub; the G&M comment sections are like a Manhattan bar. The G&M comments section has the added benefits of an intelligent OP and closer policing.

Can you create a new thread at the G&M "forums"? Nope.

Can you easily communicate with the moderators and or any of the other forum members? Nope.

Can you search past entries? Nope.

Can you ignore annoying members? Nope

Can you carry on a in-depth discuss without the fear of the moderators suddenly closing comments?

Can you view the postings in multiple different views (threaded, linear, etc)? Nope.

I could go on and on how the G&M "forums" are not really forums. However, the biggest difference is that they're not a community. They're mostly drive-by smears made by rabid partisans only interested in shouting at each other.

While things around here are not always prefect, our civility and respect for each other separates us from opinion clearinghouses like the comments section provided by the various online newspaper websites.

And are you serious, you think the G&M moderation is better? I find that laughable.

Remind me again, what exactly did the assistant do that isn't provided in the upgraded forum feature set?

Gave your own last ten (10) posts, 20 most active posters, etc.