Upgraded Forum

Greg

Auguste,

Michael, the Internet and Internet forums are "new technology". An upgrade to the MLF software is hardly a tectonic shift in Western Civilization.

Whatever the change, I still believe that it works best when individuals see it as seamless. Later, they may have a different opinion.

Ok, but you were the one that said new technology should make your life easier, weren't you ? Since we're talking about the changes to the board - what were you talking about then ?

We had a good forum. It worked. Why change it?

People in North America are now used to driving on the right side of the road. If you arrive with some scheme to change this, have everyone drive on the left as in Japan or the UK, my instinct is to argue that you're wrong - you should leave it alone.

Systems should adapt to people's habits. People should not have to change to fit the system.

You're acting as if Greg is having us drive on the left side of the road... in reality, at most he has put some ornamental plant pots on the median.

-k

Why should I have to use Firefox or middle click at all... (BTW, what is a middle click?)

Middle clicking is for Mac users only. Like Catholics in heaven, they think they're the only ones on the internet. :P

Click on a link with the scrolling wheel of your mouse (if you have one) and a new tab opens up. I'm using Google Chrome on my PC. Its a pretty slick browser and a lot faster than IE 8 or Firefox IMHO.

By the way does anyone else have spell-check-as-they-type capability now? I guess this is a feature of the new browser I'm using. I configured it to check spelling in English (UK) which probably explains all the spelling mistakes I see in quoted posts that were written by the Yanks. :P

By the way does anyone else have spell-check-as-they-type capability now? I guess this is a feature of the new browser I'm using. I configured it to check spelling in English (UK) which probably explains all the spelling mistakes I see in quoted posts that were written by the Yanks. :P

My view is that labour, harbour, equalisation are not English words; labor, harbor and equalization are. A good guide to how Canadian sounds in speech is to listen to Stephane Dion or Jean Chretien.

My view is that labour, harbour, equalisation are not English words; labor, harbor and equalization are. A good guide to how Canadian sounds in speech is to listen to Stephane Dion or Jean Chretien.

If I could have configured things to spell in Canadian you'd think I would have eh?

Why should I have to use Firefox or middle click at all... (BTW, what is a middle click?)

Your scroll wheel should click. That is your middle click button. And IE 7 and up supported middle clicking on links to open in a new tab. Firefox had this capability since it was launched about 7 years ago. Most of the time it is the site's code that allows items to be opened up in a new tab/window by default. Or you can right click, open in new tab or window.

English is the language. Canadian can be considered a dialect of the English language.

there is no need to correct JBG. He knows and he is simply playing at being an insufferable pillock.

Honestly, how anyone with a New York accent can talk about what is correct english is beyond me.

there is no need to correct JBG. He knows and he is simply playing at being an insufferable pillock.

A "pillock" I'm not.

Honestly, how anyone with a New York accent can talk about what is correct english is beyond me.

You've never heard my voice. We speak English here. See post above this one for my question on what passes for English among at least some Canadians.

You're acting as if Greg is having us drive on the left side of the road... in reality, at most he has put some ornamental plant pots on the median.
Well, his potted plants just deleted my edited post. And I'll be damned if I retype the thing.

Let me repeat again: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers, software people and all men should be required by law to follow a course on this simple point.

Guest TrueMetis

Well, his potted plants just deleted my edited post. And I'll be damned if I retype the thing.

Let me repeat again: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Engineers, software people and all men should be required by law to follow a course on this simple point.

So basically you advocating an end to progress?

So basically you advocating an end to progress?
No.

I'm wondering why, for example, with all these complicated changes, a long thread is still broken into "pages". (With the Internet, we don't read books. Look at the bottom of this screen. This thread has now 10 pages. Why?)

In a long thread, why are there numbers at the bottom of the screen and why do I have to click through to get to the next posts? This is simple text; bandwidth isn't the problem. IMV, threads should download to one single page. This would also simplify searches.

More generally, Greg should have asked users what changes we wanted.

Edited by August1991

No.

I'm wondering why, for example, with all these complicated changes, a long thread is still broken into "pages". (With the Internet, we don't read books. Look at the bottom of this screen. This thread has now 10 pages. Why?)

In a long thread, why are there numbers at the bottom of the screen and why do I have to click through to get to the next posts? This is simple text; bandwidth isn't the problem. IMV, threads should download to one single page. This would also simplify searches.

Didn't it work exactly that way before ?

Guest TrueMetis

No.

The if it ain't broke don't fix it approach would mean that computers and the like wouldn't get better. The first computers sucked, worked fine though.

Because if you put all the information on one page the computer couldn't handle that much information at one time and would be very slow. And I read books If I had to read books on a computer screen I would have to stop reading it screws with my eyes.

Actually you would be surprised how much bandwith something like this takes. Anyway you've got the choice to get up to 40 posts per page because anymore than that and it will become really slow. (well if you have a really good computer and a lot of bandwidth it would be higher than that but even the best computers have their limits)

Why? We don't pay for this and Greg doesn't seem to get anything from it either. This is a completly free program.

No.

Easier on bandwidth. Greg pays for every byte that this website dishes out. If you can load a page at a time, faster loading, less traffic, less cost. Not everyone reads the whole thread over and over again. So you just load the page you are wanting to view. Why reload all the stuff you have already read? If someone new wants to start reading a thread then they can go page by page. It's also easier for most people to digest. To much information on one page can get confusing, and load times would be considerably longer with some of those threads going into 30 or more pages. Why load 30 pages every time if you are only concerned with the last page or two of commments?

Yeah there should be the page numbers at the top of the page as well. Not sure if that is easily done with the software Greg is using. I suspect it has the ability.

When you start paying a membership fee you can have your say. Until that time, Greg can do what he pleases. This website is not a democracy!!! :D

Guest TrueMetis

Yeah there should be the page numbers at the top of the page as well. Not sure if that is easily done with the software Greg is using. I suspect it has the ability.

There is a page number thing at the top of the page.