Upgraded Forum

Greg

But you see, the newspaper industry is getting closer and closer to the brink of bankruptcy - they've never been in the business of community building and I highly doubt they're willing to invest the time and money into those activities that will enable the community to thrive and prosper.

The Asper chain is beyond the "brink" of bankruptcy".
We will try it out for a few months, if it isn't working out, I'll remove the feature.

I'd like it back. It works very well in BloggingTories.

Try the "newest content" button in the top bar and see if it gives you what you're looking for....

Well here's something really odd... on mine it doesn't show this "Newest Content". In fact it is there but hard to see... it is greyed out. If I highlight that spot I can see the text is there, but it's not an active link.

I'm using IE6. Could that be why?

Guest American Woman

Well here's something really odd... on mine it doesn't show this "Newest Content". In fact it is there but hard to see... it is greyed out. If I highlight that spot I can see the text is there, but it's not an active link.

I'm using IE6. Could that be why?

It must be your browser since I'm using Firefox and it works fine for me. Still, it seems as if it should work on IE6, too....

Edited to add:

Very weird, but I logged on using IE8, and the "newest content" button wasn't there for me, either. Definitely and EI thing, it would seem.

Edited by American Woman

• Forum Admin

I see this issue too. I'm investigating it right now.

This looks like Discover Vancouver and I prefer colours myself.

At first it is baffleing to the eye. In time you will get use to what is now almost unreadable. I remember the first time I viewed a computer screen. I thought, how can I stare at this flat light bulb with out going blind - well - now I am blind...not really - just fuzzy sighted.

Was this forum once under vBulletin software?

I used a sight prior to it's decline called Speak free America - their format was exactly the same as the one we used to have here - it was a very standard set up - I am getting use to this new set up fairly quickly...actually I hate change...but what is one to do - the old one worked just fine.

Reputation ratings could lead to more partisanship, group behavior and cliques IMO. MapleLeafWeb is one forum where a community value of quality posting seems to be emerging, and I would hate to see that impacted by 'reputations' which could merely be popularity contests.

Good point, Michael. I didn't realize the voting buttons were tied in to someone's "reputation", which becomes personal - this forum has always opposed personal attacks, so the reputation feature contradicts one of the underlying values of MLW. I see they are disabled now.

Dobbin, I hope you reconsider.

Edited by Melanie_

I see this issue too. I'm investigating it right now.

Re; the Today's active content or newest content link/button. It was a lot more user friendly when this was located at the top of every page near the right hand corner - where it used to be. Having to switch to the main forums page then scrolling down to the new links location a bit cumbersome. Perhaps locating this button could be something a person could configure, I imagine left-handed people might find it easier if it was on the other side of the screen.

Automatically opening a new tab when clicking on a link made things a little smoother too I think.

Keep up the good work, its appreciated.

Edited by eyeball

• Forum Admin

Re; the Today's active content or newest content link/button. It was a lot more user friendly when this was located at the top of every page near the right hand corner - where it used to be.

Active Content and New Content have been added to the primary navigation (tabs on each page) in the forums.

Automatically opening a new tab when clicking on a link made things a little smoother too I think.

Was this the way it worked before the upgrade?

Active Content and New Content have been added to the primary navigation (tabs on each page) in the forums.

I see that, great. Thanks.

Was this the way it worked before the upgrade?

As I recall, clicking on links to stories or sources that people posted opened a new tab instead of a new page.

I'm using IE 8 if that helps.

Hi Nat. How do you do that? I too find the text a little too large.

I use IE 8 there is a magnifing glass on the bottom right hand corner that I click on an set at 75%.

or you can try this:

IF you want to increase, decrease the size of a font om anhy given website, all you need to do is use CTRL+ Mousewheel. But yeah the font is huge compared to most sites I visit.

Edited by Nat

In fact, I don't read the comment sections because it is rarely insightful. The voting seems even less insightful.
I usually read the comment section of newspaper/journalist articles, particularly when the article has specific/researched information. Often, I find that the comments inform me of the context of the original article - in a way that the journalist did not.

Indeed, I prefer newspaper web sites that offer comments and tend to avoid sites that don't have comments. (Nevertheless, I still read Mankiw and Kinsella.)

----

IMV, Greg can play with fonts, colours (or colors), tabs, links or other features, but ultimately, this website amounts to a small number of Canadians discussing Canadian politics before a world audience. We have links to justify our points.

Other than bare technical (and security) issues, keeping this website alive is not a question of fonts, links or colours. IOW, if MLW wants to compete with the big boys on their terms, it will lose.

Lastly, I want a place to drop by, relax, post a few comments, respond to others. I want diverse, "intelligent" opinions. I don't want new gadgets and I don't care about fonts or colours - unless they keep changing.

BUT, the problem with the newspapers and their recent infatuation with online discussion is that it's roll out wasn't well thought out. They simply added comment functionality to the bottom of certain stories - that isn't a forum. That resembles a weblog, more than a forum.
OK, Greg. The newspapers have it wrong now. How long will it take them to change their websites and get it right?

This forum's advantage is not colours or fonts.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I merely meant that people sometimes prefer familiarity, or tradition.

Despite all the debates, confidence votes, political drama, the carpet in the House of Commons is green, and it has been green for over 100 years. For a similar reason, when I click on MLW, I prefer to see blue.

Previously I had found it annoying that one had to use the advanced search function to find their own posts. I notice that a "Find Posts" feature has been added to the left hand side of the profile page to do this automatically. (the "Posts" and "Topics" tabs on the profile page have always been beyond useless.)
If I had a technical quibble, it would be this feature. But google is a perfectly good substitute.

----

As I have argued above, this forum amounts to a small number of Canadians discussing Canadian politics before a world audience. In this discussion, we can link to various opinions (including our own previous opinions).

If I were Greg, I would focus on these aspects of the forum and make them easier. With extra time, he should encourage new participants and eliminate bad participants.

Let's be honest. How many registered users does MLW have?

I wish everyone well and if there are any developments on the board, please let me know.

Once again, thanks for forum and thanks to the people who filled it with their contributions.

Dobbin, regardless of formats, you are one reason that I read this forum and post here.

Greg can do stupid things (and then change them) but this forum is just a (very public) conversation. Come back, Dobbin.

With that said, I think you've lost me too, Greg. With these changes, I think I'll post elsewhere. I'll check back every so often though.

Edited by August1991

With that said, I think you've lost me too, Greg. With these changes, I think I'll post elsewhere. I'll check back every so often though.

I'm baffled: what is so different? With most of the templates back to normal, what is it that Greg's done that's so intolerable?

Stay if you wish, go if you must, but don't try and pin it on some inane reason like the search menu is different now or the font is too big.

-k

I agree with Kimmy.

Some posters here may not be as familiar with technology, and as such I need to point out to them that the internet changes fairly quickly. New look, new features are an annoyance at first, but you need to remember what the board offers in the first place and trust that you will get used to the changes, and eventually learn how to operate the new machine.

I mean, you didn't stop driving cars in the 1960s when they dropped tail fins did you ?