Muslims Muslims Muslims

Hi everyone, I'm new on this forum and I'm sorry if it's not the right section to post my comment.

I am wondering why so much people are scared of Muslims in Canada, being myself Muslim ( I don't practice, I'm just "Muslim") my parents are, nobody has more than 1 wife, nobody in my family here wears the scarf, nobody in Tunisia in my family wears it. I was born here, I consider myself as being CANADIAN.

The more I read (Quebec forums are much worse) I see people having some bad opinions towards Muslim people. Mostly on the following aspects:

#1) They have many wifes

#2) They don't integrate

#3) They see women as animals

#4) They are wild people

#5) They all hate Occidental people and values

In my case I don't qualify in any of these aspects. Most journalists take one or many anecdotes and they put them on the newspapers or on the ''Tee-Vee''. It's so wrong. Of course some Muslim people are ASSHOLES and they should stay in their country instead of coming here and try to impose ''The Charriah" or commit Honor murders and all that stuff. But most of them come here just to work, as my parents did (Doctor and Manager in a store) and hope that their children (me) will integrate to the society well, chose the religion they want to chose etc.

Most of Muslim people in the world, don't have many wifes, aren't terrorists.

What do you think about Muslim People ? I'm curious, I always thought that English Canadians were more tolerant than French Canadians were, it shows on Tee Vee first of all!

Are you scared of Muslim People? Do you really think they don't like Canada and don't want to integrate (Immigrants) etc...

I hope this discussion will have some different points of view!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How have you felt this fear in your own life?

I think many older people ie: baby-boomers and up are much more "scared" of Muslims and Arabs than younger, more open-minded people. People fear what they don't understand. This being the case, many older adults never went to school with a Muslim or know many if any personally...and so comes some fear.

On the other hand, some people are just ignorant.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

How have you felt this fear in your own life?

I think many older people ie: baby-boomers and up are much more "scared" of Muslims and Arabs than younger, more open-minded people. People fear what they don't understand. This being the case, many older adults never went to school with a Muslim or know many if any personally...and so comes some fear.

This is 100% true.

Don't know why I never heard a brilliant comment like this one on a French forum from Quebec!

How is stereotyping 'older' people in this way any different than stereotyping Muslims as terrorists? I guess you're not as open-minded as you think you are.

Yes.

Guest American Woman
QUOTE=monkeyman :....Don't know why I never heard a brilliant comment like this one on a French forum from Quebec!

Is this irony....or just me?

Definitely irony. I was going to make the same response, but you beat me to it.

Guest American Woman
I didn't stereotype anyone. I said "many" older people, not all.

Which really isn't any different than saying "many" Muslims are terrorists, etc., is it?

Stereotyping aside, your comment simply makes no sense.

Many 'older' people in Canada either came here as immigrants or are the children of immigrants - and are probably more likely to appreciate the nature of discrimination than many 'younger' people in Canada. Maybe you watched too much Archie Bunker?

Stereotyping aside, your comment simply makes no sense.

Many 'older' people in Canada either came here as immigrants or are the children of immigrants - and are probably more likely to appreciate the nature of discrimination than many 'younger' people in Canada. Maybe you watched too much Archie Bunker?

No it makes some sense, of course, everyone in Canada is an immigrant (except natives).....

But, if an old person NEVER SAW , NEVER SPOKE, NEVER KNEW a Muslim person or a Black person, it's sure that

he'll be ''scared'' and is more likely to have some predjudices because he doesn't know them.

It's a simple question of contact with the other. OF COURSE NOT EVERYONE WHO KNOWS Muslims or Blacks likes them, I agree 100% on that. But when you know something other than from Tee Vee (bad things) you are more likely to have less predjudices...

A little anedcote to confirm that, I went last time to see the Grandmother of a friend. She asked me what was my name, I said ''Wassim'' than she said ''You are surely not Canadian'' !!!

But, if an old person NEVER SAW , NEVER SPOKE, NEVER KNEW a Muslim person or a Black person, it's sure that

he'll be ''scared'' and is more likely to have some predjudices because he doesn't know them.

What? How did "Blacks" get mixed up in this round again ? I guess they would be scared of the Governor General too? Sheeeesh.....

No it makes some sense, of course, everyone in Canada is an immigrant (except natives).....

That is a silly cliche'd saying perpetuated by people who don't bother to think about it.

Immigrants are people who came here from elsewhere. People who were born here are NOT immigrants.

BTW, the aborigines themselves migrated here from Asia thousands of years ago. In that sense, they aren't even natives.

The first Muslim I ever met was a guy called John Haddad in junior high. He was Lebanese, and a total jerk.

Maybe some people don't particularly like "Muslims - ie, the generalized group" not because they don't know them but because they DO.

Of course, no one can say what a particular individual is like. You seem fine, on the surface. My problem with Muslims is the cultural value set that all-too-many of them cling to, which, while you might claim to have no part of, is still fairly widely dispersed among "Canadian" Muslims.

Until four years ago I lived in the constituency with the highest percentage of Muslims in Canada, most of them Somalians and Lebanese, and I did not "feel the love" from these people, nor did anyone else who worked in that area.

The first Muslim I ever met was a guy called John Haddad in junior high. He was Lebanese, and a total jerk.

the first English-speaking person I ever met insolted me for daring to speak French in public. And he was not the last one. Guess English-speaking Canadians are a bunch of idiots, right?

Of course, no one can say what a particular individual is like.

Yet, you have no hesitation in arguing that our immigration policy should be based on the assumption that over 1 billion human beings think and act the same until proven otherwise.

You seem fine, on the surface.

Wow.

Until four years ago I lived in the constituency with the highest percentage of Muslims in Canada, most of them Somalians and Lebanese, and I did not "feel the love" from these people, nor did anyone else who worked in that area.

I live less than a two minute walk away from the oldest mosque in Toronto. Guess who will say hi the most often when meeting me on the street. Yep, the Muslims.

the first English-speaking person I ever met insolted me for daring to speak French in public. And he was not the last one. Guess English-speaking Canadians are a bunch of idiots, right?

Ta-ta-daaa! It's PC Man, rushing to the rescue!

Cue dramatic sounding coice.

"Wherever anyone with non-white skin is threatened with any accusation of any sort, PC Man is there, standing up nobly for the poor, downtrodden, uneducated hapless little minorities (though of course, he wouldn't quite put it that way) to defend them from unflattering opinions and offensive comments. Yes, it's PC MAN!"

Yet, you have no hesitation in arguing that our immigration policy should be based on the assumption that over 1 billion human beings think and act the same until proven otherwise.

Given that in every corner of the Muslim world where surveys and polls have been taken, HUGE majorities in every Muslim country were crying out for Sharia law - I think I'm safe here. Even in the west, in Britain, 40% wanted Sharia law, and 55% in Canada wanted it.

Ta-ta-daaa! It's PC Man, rushing to the rescue!

Cue dramatic sounding coice.

"Wherever anyone with non-white skin is threatened with any accusation of any sort, PC Man is there, standing up nobly for the poor, downtrodden, uneducated hapless little minorities (though of course, he wouldn't quite put it that way) to defend them from unflattering opinions and offensive comments. Yes, it's PC MAN!"

Given that in every corner of the Muslim world where surveys and polls have been taken, HUGE majorities in every Muslim country were crying out for Sharia law - I think I'm safe here. Even in the west, in Britain, 40% wanted Sharia law, and 55% in Canada wanted it.

You're going to bring it on and on every time we speak about Muslims? Sharia, what do you know about it ? As a person from a Muslim Background, I don't know everything of it to be honest, I just know the bad things, because that's what they show us on tee vee.

Now here is ANOTHER FACT: Shariah is used in the following countries ONLY: Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, Nigeria, THAT'S It. SO THE FACT IS....MOST OF THE MUSLIM COUNTRIES themselves, DON'T use the Shariah. But of course, you're more interested in speaking about the minority that does and ignoring that the biggest Muslim country don't use the Shariah (Indonesia)

Now what does it mean that 55% want the Shariah ? They asked them a question and they answered, simple. It's not 55% that are ready to DARE to ask for it at the court.

My problem with your comment, is that you are only looking at the ''bad part'' of Muslim people or Islam. There are A LOT of Muslim people like me who are basically Muslims because their parents are and don't practice the religion like many Christians do. If Muslim people are asked a question my friend, they will answer it, it doesn't mean that because they WOULD LIKE the Shariah law, that they are going to fight for it, not ALL OF THEM.

So one more time, the fact is:

You Generalize Muslims as people who ask for a Shariah law, 6 countries out of 48 use it, of course you will think that the WHOLE POPULATION of these countries are 100% the Shariah..of course!!!!!!

6/48 and it does not include the biggest Muslim country. You think that millions of Muslims are killed each year because of the Shariah? Give me a break man!

I repeat: 6/48

I repeat: Canadian Muslims were asked if they wanted the Shariah, 55% said yes according to your numbers, it doesn't mean that 55% of Canadian Muslims will ask and impose it!

Edited by monkeyman

Source, Source????

48 Muslims countries, people want Shariah, Huge majority so it should be at least 85% of the population in EVERY MUSLIM COUNTRY want the Shariah.

I want a source related to these Muslim countries that you are speaking off.

Did you went out of Canada in your life ? Did you read books? Or your just one of those ''English Richard Martineau'' fans !?

Now here is ANOTHER FACT: Shariah is used in the following countries ONLY: Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Sudan, Nigeria, THAT'S It. SO THE FACT IS....

You have left out a few countries...

India and the Phillipines for example...and others

India and the Philippines are the only countries in the world which have separate Muslim civil laws, wholly based on Sharia. In India, Muslim civil laws are framed by the Muslim Personal Law board while in the Philippines, it is framed by the Code of Muslim Personal Laws. However, the criminal laws in both the countries are uniform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia#Modern_Islamic_law

I am not afraid of Muslims. I have Muslim friends aplenty. Anyone who hates Muslims for being Muslim is retarded.

Having said that, the cultures and values of a lot of people coming from fundamentalist Islamic States are VERY scary to a lot of people, myself included.

In Saudi Arabia, for example, I've read it's illegal for a woman to be out and about by herself with a group of guys. Not too long ago there was a case where a woman was raped by a group of guys and while the guys themselves were punished, the woman HERSELF was also sentenced to getting lashed for being alone a man that wasn't her fiance. What the hell?

There was a case in Pakistan I read about where a man murdered his wife for cheating on him. He was sentenced to jail but he traded a goat for his freedom. His wife's life was worth a goat.

It's not the Islamic faith that's the problem, it's the people that bring draconic and fundamentalist values from places like Iran, Pakistan etc to the West. For VERY obvious reasons these values clash with ours.

When you have indoctrinated fools believing anyone who doesn't follow Islamic Law is evil, THAT's where the negative perceptions begin to develop.