World Might Blow Up or Something Today

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good site for the technically inclined that debunks the LHC alarmists: http://motls.blogspot.com/2008/02/lhc-alarmists.html

The layman's summary: there is a theory that says black holes could be produced by the experiment, however, another theory says that the black holes must rapidly evaporate in the unlikely event that they appeared. IOW - the alarmists cherry pick the theories that are scary and ignore the theories that show there is little risk. To make matters worse the theory behind the black hole evaporation is well established yet the theory that suggests they would form in first place is relatively new.

Edited by Riverwind

Here is a good site for the technically inclined that debunks the LHC alarmists: http://motls.blogspot.com/2008/02/lhc-alarmists.html

The layman's summary: there is a theory that says black holes could be produced by the experiment, however, another theory says that the black holes must rapidly evaporate in the unlikely event that they appeared. IOW - the alarmists cherry pick the theories that are scary and ignore the theories that show there is little risk. To make matters worse the theory behind the black hole evaporation is well established yet the theory that suggests they would form in first place is relatively new.

Aye...the Hawking radiation theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

-------------------------------------

Uncertainty is the only certainty there is.

---Various authors

Personally, I don't care what happens; I just love how science likes to push the envelope based on theory. Sure, the A-Bomb didn't end up blowing up the planet as some suspected, but not really knowing what would happen just wouldn't deter them from testing it anyway and bringing us such joys as nuclear weapons and the threat of nuclear war. Who knows what joys this experiment will foist upon mankind if it doesn't end up being the end of us.

Discovery's Daily Planet had the regular appearing UofT physicist .....he said, " the sun has been bombarded with these for a billion years and its still there. Dont worry a thing about it"

I will sleep well.

Still what's the point? If we cause a hole to form that swallows the planet in the twinkle of an eye - then we deserve oblivion for such gross curiousity. It makes me wonder what the purpose the experiment is! If there is even a small percentage of a chance that we will unleash Satan himself in the form of black matter ---WHY TAKE THAT CHANCE? Just like the first atomic explosion. The handlers knew there was a chance that there would be a chain reaction that would literally turn the atmosphere in to an exposive world wide fire storm - but the mad men took a chance - that is pure evil and I suspect this modern version of toying with oblivion our of sheer sport and curiousity is pure evil also - besides billions have been spent so some egg heads can get a boner playing God -- I don't like the idea of taking a gamble - I never gamble nor should the scientific nerds...leave anti-matter and black holes alone - to mess with this is like stealing God's raw material..no good will come from a curious kid playing with a book of matches arouond a billion gallons of gas....they think they are so smart - how bout world peace and bringing about civilization to the world - that would be a more noble goal!

This is just peachy; as with the A-Bombs, mad scientists are about to conduct an experiment the consequences of which they can only theorize about, and a few critics are claiming could cause the end of our planet.

Ah yes, the Large Hardon Collider ;)

Did you know that according to modern particle physics there are 16 basic particles?

6 quarks, 6 leptons and 4 bosons... all have been discovered (with 7 predicted before the discovery) except for the Higgs Boson - the particle of gravity (graviton).

They're hoping to find it using this new accelerator...

Oh, as to the black hole - if it happens it will be extremely small with its life expectancy in microseconds...

I have been paying attention to this thing for some time now. Little realizing this has been in the works for about 20 years and 9 billion later.

This thing is the most absolutely amazing piece of technology on the planet. I am eager to hear what they discover. If they can get ahold of that graviton and maybe find out how to use it .... new frontiers. Maybe find out how to fold space.

Oleg Bach

Still what's the point? If we cause a hole to form that swallows the planet in the twinkle of an eye - then we deserve oblivion for such gross curiousity. It makes me wonder what the purpose the experiment is! If there is even a small percentage of a chance that we will unleash Satan himself in the form of black matter ---WHY TAKE THAT CHANCE? Just like the first atomic explosion. The handlers knew there was a chance that there would be a chain reaction that would literally turn the atmosphere in to an exposive world wide fire storm - but the mad men took a chance - that is pure evil and I suspect this modern version of toying with oblivion our of sheer sport and curiousity is pure evil also - besides billions have been spent so some egg heads can get a boner playing God -- I don't like the idea of taking a gamble - I never gamble nor should the scientific nerds...leave anti-matter and black holes alone - to mess with this is like stealing God's raw material..no good will come from a curious kid playing with a book of matches arouond a billion gallons of gas....they think they are so smart - how bout world peace and bringing about civilization to the world - that would be a more noble goal!

The Atomic weapon is an abhorable thing. But wow is it ever fantastic. Einstien never meant for the atomic bomb to happen when he discovered Theory of Relativity. Usually anyone who wants to make a weapon out of anything is in the military or an outfit that works with the military. Leave it up to mad men to turn discovery into a weapon that kills.

Thousands of scientists around the planet have taken part in this project. The fact that this facility crosses the border twice of two countries indicates it is a really huge multinational effort and cooperation. More so than the ISS. Multinational effort on a single project does bring about unity and civility to the world.

More or less, science nerds do take a risk. But that risk is calculated out the wazoo. A few crappy equations do not churn out such a fantastic piece of equipment. Actually this is a whole slew of different pieces of equipment to make up this facility.

Even after playing so many computer games depicting end times or 'when science goes wrong', I still want them to fire this puppy up. Screw it, roll the dice, balls to the wall.

Dr. Gordon Freeman to the test chamber please.

http://www.shackpics.com/files/largehadron...6p8kuk65ug3.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_gra..._08_01/lhc8.jpg

..what, of your post?

There is a question that defies any rational answer.

Satan, evil, boner from god, black matter.....ei yi yi carumba.

Oh , It is spelled "Whirled Peas" by the way

The fact of the matter is that these people were willing to take the risk not knowing for certain what the consequences were going to be. And the expiriments have just begun. Just because the majority of scientists thought that this thing would cause no problems doesn't justify taking the risk.

But now that we're still here, it's the turn of the conspiracy theorists to have a go at it; from what I saw on the news there was a bit of a delay there before the results of the test appeared. I'm sure there will be a few people who will claim that this contrived; they did spend about $9 billion on this thing, did they not? For it not to work would be extremely embarrassing to the scientific community.

Sheer nonsense. We're talking about a specific scientific experiment that could have (had) a profound detrimental impact on life of this planet.

Oh well...no balls...no blue chips. The dinosaurs took your advice and never built their superconducting supercollider (too risky and expensive), and look what happened to them.

Sheer nonsense. We're talking about a specific scientific experiment that could have (had) a profound detrimental impact on life of this planet.

Yep, you're right, you response is sheer nonsense. Countless experiments have had the potential of profound detrimental impacts on life on this planet yet we've still performed them and as a result reaped the rewards of doing so.

I repeat, if what you said is to be taken seriously we'd still be putting leaches all over ourselves. You may deny being or may not be a luddite but you skirt very close to being one with that no progress attitude your comment indicates.

So, was all the alarmist bullcrap being spouted justified? In one word, NO.