President Bush Lowers The Boom!

Obama says Bush falsely accuses him of appeasement

President Bush:

"Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they had been wrong all along. We've heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American Senator declared, "Lord, if I could only have talked to Hitler, all this might have been avoided." We have an obligation to call this what it is, the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

Link

Apparently this speech has caused quite a stir within the Obama Campaign and various prominent Democrats.

Clip of Bush's remarks:

Link

Senator Obama is incredibly naive if he thinks he can make Bush Bashing the cornerstone of his campaign and cuddle up to Iran without any price to pay. They don't call them "junior senators" for nothing.

Obama's wants to "cuddle up" to Iran? Uhm no. It's called diplomacy, something the current administration knows nothing of. Bombs cost lots of money and lots of lives. Talking to your enemy costs nothing (minus a plane trip or a long-distance phone fee). Worst case scenario of talking to Iran: they throw Obama out & things procede ala status quo. A possible positive scenario is Ahmadinejad hating the U.S. slightly less. The US has invaded and occupied two large countries bordering Iran on each flank, so can anyone blame Iran for despising the US and the west, & for seeking a nuke? Would any other country do any different?

So knowing the alternatives the Bush war-drums have been beating lately, the harm in talking is to Iran is what exactly?

Obama's wants to "cuddle up" to Iran? Uhm no. It's called diplomacy, something the current administration knows nothing of. Bombs cost lots of money and lots of lives.

You mean like Jack Layton and the Taliban? Good luck with that.

Talking to your enemy costs nothing (minus a plane trip or a long-distance phone fee). Worst case scenario of talking to Iran: they throw Obama out & things procede ala status quo. A possible positive scenario is Ahmadinejad hating the U.S. slightly less. The US has invaded and occupied two large countries bordering Iran on each flank, so can anyone blame Iran for despising the US and the west, & for seeking a nuke? Would any other country do any different?

Large countries? Would invading smaller countries be better? How do you reconcile your position with Canada's role in Afghanistan? When will the diplomacy start? Iran has been "seeking" nukes since 1979.

So knowing the alternatives the Bush war-drums have been beating lately, the harm in talking is to Iran is what exactly?

America (and the West) are talking to Iran...you just don't like what is being said. Even France promised to nuke Iran if necessary.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Obama's wants to "cuddle up" to Iran? Uhm no. It's called diplomacy, something the current administration knows nothing of. Bombs cost lots of money and lots of lives. Talking to your enemy costs nothing (minus a plane trip or a long-distance phone fee). Worst case scenario of talking to Iran: they throw Obama out & things procede ala status quo. A possible positive scenario is Ahmadinejad hating the U.S. slightly less. The US has invaded and occupied two large countries bordering Iran on each flank, so can anyone blame Iran for despising the US and the west, & for seeking a nuke? Would any other country do any different?

(Other countries seek peace and normal relations, see Libya)

How soon the left forgets all about North Korea. It didn't happen, right? Since Saint Jimmy Carter was involved it was a smashing victory, right? Talking to North Korea cost hundreds of millions and directly PAID for the development and research of the nuclear weapons that NK agreed to not develop. They even signed a treaty. Idiot despots will do that to get your millions. They'll lie to your face, which is lost on the left for some unknown reason.

What's different about Iran is the idiot despot there keeps threatening to wipe out another nation. At least the twit in NK had the smarts to keep his ambitions about South Korea to himself. Obama sounds like another Chamberlain who thinks if you reason with dictators you can make them see your logic. What a fool.

I watched the video clip of Bush - could not agree more.

You do not have to like the man - history shows he is correct.

Appeasement usually only delays the inevitable.

Borg

Edited by Borg

Obama's wants to "cuddle up" to Iran? Uhm no. It's called diplomacy, something the current administration knows nothing of.

Bingo.

Obama said he wanted to talk to them. He didn't say he wanted to agree with them. All of a sudden the sky is falling. It's appeasement says George Bush. I love what Jim Cafferty (CNN - The Situation Room) had to say about this. "Every time this guy opens his mouth you want to crawl under a desk. He is irrelevant. Nobody cares what he says any more." So true.

The real problem is that Israel has consistently persued a strategy of not negotiating with the Arabs/Moslems but of going over their heads to whoever had the biggest guns at the time. First it was the British (Balfour). Then it was the French (Mirage Jets, nuclear technology) and finally the Americans (what d'ya got?). It has worked well for them. No accident that Bush made this statement while in Israel. Obama declared his direct talks approach long before Bush got on the plane, after all.

The idea that an ally would want to go over the head of Israel and talk to the other side directly sends Israel's long term tried and true strategy into the dustbin. Man, you've just made so much money in Kodak and the party is just like, so over....

And look at which members on this board are getting the most upset by this idea. What a surprise.

Obama is a junior senator with little experience, once he gets some time in he may learn the lesson of North Korea. I find it funny that his campaign immediately gets defensive, they protest too loudly and it's obvious the comments struck a nerve, regardless of what the Clinton News Network thinks about it.

Bush was probably talking about Jimmy Carter anyway, since he was actually over in the region recently. But let's think this through. Why should the US, or Israel(since they actually LIVE in the region) negotiate with the only country in the region who keeps uttering death threats against Israel? What exactly do you think Iran will concede to?

Your confused description of Israel's effort at arming herself forgets she negotiated with one of the nations which attacked her, Egypt. It seems Egypt was the only one who wanted peace with Israel, so they got it.

Obama is a junior senator with little experience, once he gets some time in he may learn the lesson of North Korea. I find it funny that his campaign immediately gets defensive, they protest too loudly and it's obvious the comments struck a nerve, regardless of what the Clinton News Network thinks about it.

Bush was probably talking about Jimmy Carter anyway, since he was actually over in the region recently. But let's think this through. Why should the US, or Israel(since they actually LIVE in the region) negotiate with the only country in the region who keeps uttering death threats against Israel? What exactly do you think Iran will concede to?

Your confused description of Israel's effort at arming herself forgets she negotiated with one of the nations which attacked her, Egypt. It seems Egypt was the only one who wanted peace with Israel, so they got it.

Jordan negotiated peace with Israel before the 1948 war started. Egypt was a helluva lot slower.

Do you actually know what Iran has said? You are leaning too heavily on the press. Utterances do not come from politicians. Utterances come through the press.

The Spanish-American War was started by William Randolph Hearst to sell papers. There are a lot of hyenas in the press.

I love what Jim Cafferty (CNN - The Situation Room) had to say about this. "Every time this guy opens his mouth you want to crawl under a desk. He is irrelevant. Nobody cares what he says any more." So true.
For somone who is so-called irrelevant, he certainly caused a bit of an uproar with the Obama Campaign, and with Democrats in general. Also, does anyone else see the irony in Jack Cafferty calling somebody irrelevant? Just thought I'd ask.

What was most disturbing about Obama, is the way he agreed, during the debates, to meet with the leaders of Iran, Syria, North Korea, and Venezuela, without pre-conditions, during his first term.

What was most disturbing about Obama, is the way he agreed, during the debates, to meet with the leaders of Iran, Syria, North Korea, and Venezuela, without pre-conditions, during his first term.

Good for him. This is exactly the right thing to do.

For somone who is so-called irrelevant, he certainly caused a bit of an uproar with the Obama Campaign, and with Democrats in general. Also, does anyone else see the irony in Jack Cafferty calling somebody irrelevant? Just thought I'd ask.

Yeah, no doubt he(being Obama) wants to offer North Korea more money to not produce any more nuclear weapons. Kimmy is probably rubbing his hands in glee.

Edited by sharkman

Yeah, no doubt he(being Obama) wants to offer North Korea more money to not produce any more nuclear weapons. Kimmy is probably rubbing his hands in glee.

Hmmm....The Obama Carter ticket?

Obama says Bush falsely accuses him of appeasement

President Bush:

"Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they had been wrong all along. We've heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American Senator declared, "Lord, if I could only have talked to Hitler, all this might have been avoided." We have an obligation to call this what it is, the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

Link

Apparently this speech has caused quite a stir within the Obama Campaign and various prominent Democrats.

Clip of Bush's remarks:

Link

What's wrong with appeasement..my dear old Russian mother use to have a saying that you have to stroke the viciouis dog into submission..kicking it has no good results.

True.....you have to use a 2 x 4 instead.

You are funny. Can we really take Obama and George Bush seriously at this point? Here goes and I love saying this..."Is America ready for a black president?" Certainly! If they were tolerant and ready enough to endure Bush they can endure the devil himself...finally they will have a spiritual replacement for Billy Graham..that Reverned Wright guy..boy he sure would give the Muslims- Jews and Christians an ear full.... :lol: I did not read this thread..other than the headline about Bush lowering the boom....lame ducks can barely lift a boom let alone lower it.

...I did not read this thread..other than the headline about Bush lowering the boom....lame ducks can barely lift a boom let alone lower it.

But he did....and Obama is squirming like a stuck pig. The Great Orator made uncomfortable by the "clumsy" and poorly spoken President Bush.....because he is President Bush, not junior senator from Illinois.

But he did....and Obama is squirming like a stuck pig. The Great Orator made uncomfortable by the "clumsy" and poorly spoken President Bush.....because he is President Bush, not junior senator from Illinois.

Obama is not a great statesman..you have to make useful statements...musical muzings are not enough. I will tell you something about the real Bush - IF he did not have such a hard nose and cruel VP he would have made a great president..he actually has heart and compassion but was not allowed to be himself..it's sad that they wasted him..much like they burned out collin powell...There are no real leaders in the states - just as the last pope - was the last good pope..ratsinger is like Obama...an actor.

Obama is not a great statesman..you have to make useful statements...musical muzings are not enough. I will tell you something about the real Bush - IF he did not have such a hard nose and cruel VP he would have made a great president..he actually has heart and compassion but was not allowed to be himself....

Nope....the historians who specialize in such things will note that in the end, Bush called the shots...with his heart. Hell, Harry Truman didn't even have a VP during his first term, and we all know what "hard nosed" meant to him.

After watching Chris Matthews interview Kevin James, I wonder if anyone on the right even knows what appeasement means. :lol:
Kevin James the comedian? I never heard of this guy until yesterday. Apparently he has some radio show. It's interesting who Matthews picks to come on his show. I guess he's more confident taking on the less prominent conservatives. However, it doesn't suprise me coming from Chris "Obama gives me a thirll up my leg" Matthews, and MSDNC.

And yet somehow equating Venezuela with Iran, Syria and North Korea is not disturbing? Are you honestly trying to suggest that they are Axis of Evil material? Have you looked at Burma or Saudi Arabia lately?

In any case, somehow it always seems to go over the heads of some people that equating Iran with Nazi Germany ignores the inconvenient fact that Germany was in a position to get away with taking over Poland. Iran is not, nor will it ever be, in a position to get away with taking out Israel. People generally don't start wars they know they can't win. Especially ones that will likely end in their total annihilation. I would bet you that right now in Tehran there are people who point to the appeasement of Hitler in World War II as evidence for why appeasing the Americans won't work.

After watching Chris Matthews interview Kevin James, I wonder if anyone on the right even knows what appeasement means. :lol:

Can you elaborate? I didn't see the interview, although I know that Matthews supported the invasion of Iraq.

Edited by HisSelf