Is Trudeau Extending the Election Date by 1 Week to Get MPs Their Pensions?

I dunno if this is true or not, but I saw a FB post today saying that the Libs are introducing a bill to move the next election back by 1 week so that the MPs who were elected in 2019 and again in 2021 would get their full 6 years in to qualify for their full pensions, even if they get voted out.

According to the FB post, the election is always supposed to occur on the 3rd Monday in Oct, so the 2025 election is slated for Oct 20, 2025.

I checked that much out and Oct 20 2025 is a Monday, the third of the month, and that actually is when the next election is scheduled for, but I still don't know if the "3rd Monday in Oct" thing is an actual rule.

Anyways, the 2019 election was on Oct 21st, so 6 full years from that day is Oct 21 - the day after the next scheduled election.

That would give MPs 5 years and 364 days as MP, one day short of 6 full years, on Oct 20, 2025 🤣

Is this story true? Are the libs planning to move the election by 1 week just to cost Canadians millions of dollars in pensions? 

I've long surmised that the unholy alliance between the Libs and NDP was just to keep the gov't going long enough to secure pensions for all the skids and wipeouts in their two parties, but I didn't know that the next scheduled election date falls 1 day short of that.

If the libs really are doing this, they'll have enough votes to get the election date moved back by a week, but I do think it will hurt them in the 2025 election. 

I have seen this story too. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/here-are-the-80-mps-set-to-qualify-for-a-pension-with-the-help-of-a-liberal-rule-change

I asked my Liberal MP (Francis Drouin) about this a few weeks ago. No reply, not even an acknowledgement that he received my email. I don't use profanity or anything like that so there should be no reason why he wouldn't reply, but based on my experience, if he does not like the subject matter of the inquiry, he will ignore it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ironstone said:

I have seen this story too. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/here-are-the-80-mps-set-to-qualify-for-a-pension-with-the-help-of-a-liberal-rule-change

I asked my Liberal MP (Francis Drouin) about this a few weeks ago. No reply, not even an acknowledgement that he received my email. I don't use profanity or anything like that so there should be no reason why he wouldn't reply, but based on my experience, if he does not like the subject matter of the inquiry, he will ignore it.

From your article:

• the decision to move the federal election a few days later, instead of earlier, is a decision that the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says will cost Canadians as much as $120 million, the estimated lifetime pension if all 80 MPs lose their seats.

The Libs and NDP are just openly stealing from Canadians. 

• Like 1

And I suppose if you were an MP you'd be so bone stupid you'd vote not to.
I suppose as some of you whine that you can't afford a house or groceries how 3¢ more tax will bankrupt you and they're forcing you to buy Teslas that cost as much as aircraft carriers yet still intend to go vote against your own interests, you would.

Edited by herbie

9 hours ago, herbie said:

I suppose as some of you whine that you can't afford a house or groceries how 3¢ more tax will bankrupt you and they're forcing you to buy Teslas that cost as much as aircraft carriers yet still intend to go vote against your own interests, you would.

Maybe that's part of the problem. Too many people only voting for their own interests.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, herbie said:

Yes, but if you're an MP what's your job?  Is it to serve the public, or make sure you and your buddies get a golden pension that will cost Canada 120 million?

The idea that we're moving it for Diwali is full-stop retarded.  

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 2

On 6/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, WestCanMan said:

I dunno if this is true or not, but I saw a FB post today saying that the Libs are introducing a bill to move the next election back by 1 week so that the MPs who were elected in 2019 and again in 2021 would get their full 6 years in to qualify for their full pensions, even if they get voted out.

According to the FB post, the election is always supposed to occur on the 3rd Monday in Oct, so the 2025 election is slated for Oct 20, 2025.

I checked that much out and Oct 20 2025 is a Monday, the third of the month, and that actually is when the next election is scheduled for, but I still don't know if the "3rd Monday in Oct" thing is an actual rule.

Anyways, the 2019 election was on Oct 21st, so 6 full years from that day is Oct 21 - the day after the next scheduled election.

That would give MPs 5 years and 364 days as MP, one day short of 6 full years, on Oct 20, 2025 🤣

Is this story true? Are the libs planning to move the election by 1 week just to cost Canadians millions of dollars in pensions? 

I've long surmised that the unholy alliance between the Libs and NDP was just to keep the gov't going long enough to secure pensions for all the skids and wipeouts in their two parties, but I didn't know that the next scheduled election date falls 1 day short of that.

If the libs really are doing this, they'll have enough votes to get the election date moved back by a week, but I do think it will hurt them in the 2025 election. 

You bet your sweet bippy that is what the Marxist dictator in Ottawa and his sidekick arse hole in the NDP communist party are trying to do. And they will get away with it without a whimper because they know that they can do whatever the hell they want to do. Why, if they want to, they can probably get away with postponing the election date for another date if they want too because those two Marxist party's could careless about democracy. Democracy is a terrifying word to them. Just my opinion. 😇

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Goddess said:

If they wanna move it back a week, then fine.

But they should also pass an amendment that they still lose their pension if they don't get re-elected.

Easy peasy.

They could do it.  But they likely won't.

Maybe they have no plans to want to get elected anymore. Grab your pension and quit with your nice golden pension. 😇

• Like 1

That the MVP released a very half-hearted statement to the effect that they don't approve of this and then immediately shut the hell up again.

This is absolutely zero shock though. This is literally what liberal supporters voted for. It's not even the biggest or most expensive little trick the liberals have done to funnel money into the pockets of people they like. This isn't a big story for them, this is a Tuesday.

For their corruption and crimes the liberals should have been reduced to one or two seats in the last election. Until Canadian voters realize that the only way to get a more honest government is to punish the hell out of the bad governments when they show corruption or the like we're going to continue to have this kind of problem.

I mean if there's no penalty, why not? All of those liberals who get the pension are going to enjoy their massive retirement benefits thinking thank god I chose to behave dishonestly.

18 hours ago, herbie said:

This isn't just about that one day, I've been saying all along that the NDP were only propping up Trudeau to get their pensions, and not at all because they were working for Canadians. 

The NDP are entirely there for themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

This isn't just about that one day, I've been saying all along that the NDP were only propping up Trudeau to get their pensions, and not at all because they were working for Canadians. 

They're insistence that Trudeau is not protecting our democracy and yet they're unwillingness to do anything about it and to maintain propping him up is proof enough of that

I can even find articles from CTV acknowledging that the Libs are pushing the election back, and that it will end up qualifying 80 vax-Nazis for pensions, but nothing from the CBC.

CBC:

• The Liberals introduced legislation Tuesday aimed at expanding voting access and targeting electoral interference and the spread of disinformation.

Bill C-65 introduces a suite of amendments to the Canada Elections Act as part of the Liberals' political pact with the NDP. But it delays two key aspects of that agreement: spreading the official election day over three days and allowing voters to vote at any polling station in their riding.

Oh look, the Liberals are "protecting us all from disinformation again". They're so swell. 

Are we done with the CBC yet?

Honest to God, I'll be pissed if Poilievre doesn't follow through on his rhetoric about defunding the LPOC News channel. 

Blah blah blah, if you got to vote on the shop closing a week early so shareholders wouldn't have to owe you part of your pension you'd sing a different song.
Just one more consequence of the stupid move to hold elections every 4 years on a certain day.

Sorry but if I were an MP I would uphold the interests of working people, but screwing myself to appear some sort of martyr isn't one of them. Heard this whining nonstop about MPs pay from people too dumb to understand that job is more valuable than yours at Wendys. And repeat so brain dead and petty they begrudge a pension and believe only billionaires can represent their interests.

3 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

I can even find articles from CTV acknowledging that the Libs are pushing the election back, and that it will end up qualifying 80 vax-Nazis for pensions, but nothing from the CBC.

CBC:

• The Liberals introduced legislation Tuesday aimed at expanding voting access and targeting electoral interference and the spread of disinformation.

Bill C-65 introduces a suite of amendments to the Canada Elections Act as part of the Liberals' political pact with the NDP. But it delays two key aspects of that agreement: spreading the official election day over three days and allowing voters to vote at any polling station in their riding.

Oh look, the Liberals are "protecting us all from disinformation again". They're so swell. 

Are we done with the CBC yet?

Honest to God, I'll be pissed if Poilievre doesn't follow through on his rhetoric about defunding the LPOC News channel. 

I think a lot of people are done with the cbc.  I think that when PP gets in there will be some pushback from the woke about the cbc ,but i think we have to hold his feet to the fire and force him to get rid of every penny of financing, 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, herbie said:

Blah blah blah, if you got to vote on the shop closing a week early so shareholders wouldn't have to owe you part of your pension you'd sing a different song.
Just one more consequence of the stupid move to hold elections every 4 years on a certain day.

Sorry but if I were an MP I would uphold the interests of working people, but screwing myself to appear some sort of martyr isn't one of them.

Again, as a liberal apologist, you're failing to take into account the fact that this isn't just about 1 day, or 1 week, slimy as that is. The NDP will have propped the liberals up for about 2 years by the time they get to that payday. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

So, i guess that we will have to wait until the next election before the Marxist dictator in Ottawa finally gets the boot? Gawd only knows what this dictator will do before then. The Dictator has plenty of time to try and come up with something to try and postpone the next election. After all, we are dealing with a communist and communists do not like to give up their power and control of we the sheeple. 😷

The NDP party is never there for the people. They are only there to be able to push as much communism as they can in Canada. Our last hope for Canada is to get the conservative party back into power. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

Again, as a liberal apologist, you're failing to take into account the fact that this isn't just about 1 day, or 1 week, slimy as that is. The NDP will have propped the liberals up for about 2 years by the time they get to that payday. 

No need to apologize for common sense, doing what anyone else would. Only wah wah ctybabies would expect that.