Canada's dangerous slide into antisemitism

When has the govt of Canada not condemned the Oct 7 attack?
When has it ever not demanded the immediate release of hostages?
When has it ever not condemned anti-semitism ?

Give up the constant lame accusation that any criticism of Israeli govt actions is antisemetic.

You elevating Netanyahu onto your Holier-than-God pedestal beside Trump?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, herbie said:

Give up the constant lame accusation that any criticism of Israeli govt actions is antisemetic.

So childish.  You are brainwashed.  The government supports a so-called two state solution; in other words carve up the small state of Israel and give big parts of it to their sworn enemies who want to kill them and destroy Israel.  That should tell you how anti-Semitic the government really is.  Similar to much of the world.

35 minutes ago, herbie said:

Lying s*** of s***
Gaza and the West Bank are not Israel.

The surrounding countries attacked Israel in 1967 and lost territories.  The West Bank was once under the control of Jordan, but after they attacked Israel in 1967, they lost control of it. These territories include the West Bank, and some other areas. I believe Israel is in the process of annexing the West Bank.  Our opinion doesn't matter.  The U.N. is anti-Israel and can complain all it wants.  Israel has to do what it needs to do to protect its own security.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, herbie said:

Who said anything about Israel and hostages? My entire post was about the treatment of Jews in Canada and you reply with the standard far-left rant about Israel. Thus taking the same position that most of the protesters take, that Jews and Israelis are the same thing, and that all Israelis are responsible for their government and thus equally guilty of condemnation (and attack).

Congratulations on having the same philosophy as Hamas.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Who said anything about Israel and hostages? My entire post was about the treatment of Jews in Canada and you reply with the standard far-left rant about Israel. Thus taking the same position that most of the protesters take, that Jews and Israelis are the same thing, and that all Israelis are responsible for their government and thus equally guilty of condemnation (and attack).

Congratulations on having the same philosophy as Hamas.

Can you not also say "that Palestinians and Hamas are the same thing, and that all Palestinians are responsible for their government and thus equally guilty of condemnation (and attack)."?

I care nothing for either of them but, there is enough culpability to go around.

"The term anti-Semitism was first popularized by German journalist Wilhelm Marr in 1879 to describe hatred or hostility toward Jews. The history of anti-Semitism, however, goes back much further.

Hostility against Jews may date back nearly as far as Jewish history. In the ancient empires of Babylonia, Greece, and Rome, Jews—who originated in the ancient kingdom of Judea—were often criticized and persecuted for their efforts to remain a separate cultural group rather than taking on the religious and social customs of their conquerors.

With the rise of Christianity, anti-Semitism spread throughout much of Europe. Early Christians vilified Judaism in a bid to gain more converts. They accused Jews of outlandish acts such as “blood libel”—the kidnapping and murder of Christian children to use their blood to make Passover bread.

These religious attitudes were reflected in anti-Jewish economic, social and political policies that pervaded into the European Middle Ages."

Anti-Semitism - Definition, Meaning & Reasons For (history.com)

The solution for anti-Semites is to turn to God and repent and seek forgiveness.  They need to become children of God and love their neighbour, not hate a special group of people.  The alternative is hell.  If they continue with their anti-Semitism, they need to be weeded out and put in some kind of institution to protect society.  

Immigrants who bring their anti-Semitism to Canada should be sent back to where they came from.  There is no room in Canada for that kind of thing.

• Haha 1

"Canada" is not anti-semetic. It is not policy of the govt, nor is it a practice of the overwhelming majority of it's citizens. The majority of us do not give a shit where you go to church, what day you go to church or what name you call an imaginary man in the sky.
And any attempt to blame or relate it to 'the left' is complete bullshit.

Bigots come in all shades and political stripes as we can well see within this forum, as demonstrated by all those that incessantly berate any attempt to reverse discrimination as discrimination against them personally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Can you not also say "that Palestinians and Hamas are the same thing, and that all Palestinians are responsible for their government and thus equally guilty of condemnation (and attack)."?

I care nothing for either of them but, there is enough culpability to go around.

Once again, I and the editorial are speaking about Canadian Jews. People who live here. 

10 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Once again, I and the editorial are speaking about Canadian Jews. People who live here. 

I saw no reference to your statements being strictly "Canadian". And Canadian Jews are different? Or special? Or not like other jews?

My point is a generic statement that you made and the one I quoted can be used in either direction.

On 3/22/2024 at 9:13 AM, I am Groot said:

The Jews have always been a kind of canary in the coal mine as far as freedom is concerned. If they're not free to live and go about their business and act in a lawful manner then the rest of us need to start looking over our shoulders. And they're not. Canada has freely imported millions of people from places where the general cultural and religious sentiment is hatred of Jews without doing the slightest to screen them. And we're just starting now to see them flex their muscles, and with a government which is notorious for always catering to votes not principles. There are now six times more Muslims than Jews in Canada, and that number is rapidly growing. And so their flexing is being allowed, accepted, and tolerated by generally liberal governments (including locally) who have long suffered from the bigotry of low expectations.

Meanwhile, immigration continues, grows, with no screening to weed out extremists of any variety. Millions are coming, and already the government is catering to them, and trying to bring in laws to restrict freedom. It does not care about churches being burned or synagogues shot at but by God if you dare to criticize Islam online they will do their best to punish you.

Antisemitic acts have been occurring in Canada in ever-increasing volume since the Oct. 7 massacre of 1,200 Israelis by Hamas terrorists, and the kidnapping of 250 more.

In the weeks that followed Israel’s military response to those crimes, a Jewish school in Montreal was twice fired upon, leaving two bullet holes. A Jewish delicatessen in Toronto was fire-bombed. An Indigo bookstore in Toronto was vandalized, because the chain’s founder is Jewish.

Protesters in Toronto, Montreal and elsewhere opposed to the Israeli government’s actions in Gaza have targetted Jewish neighbourhoods, synagogues and businesses. Homes have been vandalized with antisemitic images and words.

https://archive.is/CNrIh

I think in this case i think like the trojans we've already brought the horse through the gates.

But i also notice there's a general rise in all the negative emotions and bigotry in Canada right now. There's a lot more bad sentiment spread about, and its showing up as increased threats and attacks against muslims, jews, christians (how many churches burned in the last few years? 40 i think now?) gays trans straights, etc etc.

Honestly - and i've said this before -  i think its a direct result of the acceptance of "Positive" bigotry on the left of the spectrum.  It's OK to show extreme prejudice to whites.  And men.  And christians. That's perfectly fine!  In fact it's to be encouraged!  Don't want to try a somewhat experimental drug? why you must be a bigoted misanthrope and a waste of space and we'll have to decide as a nation if we're going to tolerate them. Not just their views but them.

We have days saying that this group or that group is special (in some cases an entire month) and if you dont' visibly participate in that you will be punished.  However - YOU are not special enough to deserve recognition, your group sucks.  this is the message we send.

The last 10 years has been an extreme exercise in dividing people and making them hate each other. Of COURSE anti sematism is on the rise. People are being taught to hate other groups more and the jews are no exception.

I don't think there's any coming back from this. I don't think people realize how utterly horrific the changes that have been allowed to occur in the last 10 years truly are.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, herbie said:

.Bigots come in all shades and political stripes as we can well see within this forum, as demonstrated by all those that incessantly berate any attempt to reverse discrimination as discrimination against them personally.

Yes, bigots come in all political shades and stripes. But the small number of far right people in Canada who hate Jews has been a minor thing for a long time. What has risen in the last few decades and particularly of late are two things.

1. The number of Muslims coming here from countries where antisemitism is the accepted and widespread cultural norm. Coming here with no screening, I might add, and no suggestion by the Canadian elites that they should change their culture and adopt Canadian values.

2. The rise of a simplistic 'oppressor/victim' belief system among the Left which automatically ascribes malice and evil to whomever is termed the oppressor, and complete innocence and lack of agency to the victim.

Jews have been assigned to the 'white' category, and are thus part of the 'oppressors' despite a history of being the victims of hate. This is largely because they do well economically here. And as the Jewish community has a lot of support for Israel, which the Left has demonized as an evil Capitalist colony supported by the evil West, and as it's fighting 'brown people' then anyone who supports Israel is evil too by default.

Therefore, Jews are evil. Hatred against them is therefore entirely proper and the concern for incidents against them is about what it is for the scores of churches set on fire. There is a general view from many elements of the Left that they deserve it anyway.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I saw no reference to your statements being strictly "Canadian". And Canadian Jews are different? Or special? Or not like other jews?

My point is a generic statement that you made and the one I quoted can be used in either direction.

So you have no comment on the rise of antisemitism in Canada?

Just now, I am Groot said:

So you have no comment on the rise of antisemitism in Canada?

Nope.

I think prejudice is now the same as always.

Some people will always dislike some other people.

comme ci comme ça

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The statistics, as quoted by the Globe and Mail editorial, say otherwise.

Some people are more ok with it than others. Especially with regards to some groups.

There is also a trend in canada that human rights violations are perfectly fine as long as we don't like the group being violated

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The statistics, as quoted by the Globe and Mail editorial, say otherwise.

You know what they say about statistics?

https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/statistics-quotes

And really, you offered no statistics, just a cut and paste from a Globe editorial.

Edited by ExFlyer

On 3/23/2024 at 6:20 PM, herbie said:

"Canada" is not anti-semetic. It is not policy of the govt, nor is it a practice of the overwhelming majority of it's citizens. The majority of us do not give a shit where you go to church, what day you go to church or what name you call an imaginary man in the sky.
And any attempt to blame or relate it to 'the left' is complete bullshit.

Bigots come in all shades and political stripes as we can well see within this forum, as demonstrated by all those that incessantly berate any attempt to reverse discrimination as discrimination against them personally.

Your statement is hard to swallow, considering the remarks from the left side of the political spectrum has said to our national media....and while the country is considered racist by our national leaders, your confidently stating  we are not anti semitic.

Which promoted me to ask are we really just racist against everyone else, and we like the jews....?,which one is it.... OR maybe our leaders are just full of Bull Sh*t

The PM has stated on national media the following statements...

"Systemic racism is an issue right across the country, in all our institutions, including in all our police forces, including in the RCMP. That's what systemic racism is," said Trudeau when asked about Lucki's comments by reporters during a news conference in Ottawa this morning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rcmp-systemic-racism-lucki-trudeau-1.5607622

Then there is NDP leader responding to the question do you think Canada is racist..."NO QUESTION" was his reply

Is Canada racist? Jagmeet Singh says 'no question' 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jagmeet-singh-racist-canada-1.5316318

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:16 PM, herbie said:

It condemns anti-Semitism, but you won't find our gov't laying the blame for it where it belongs. It's just always assumed to be coming from our huge domestic terrorist threat problem: WHITE CISGENDER DEVIL-MEN!!!! DUN dun duuuuunnn.

The threats against Jews are anti-"Semitic". 

The people over here who support genocide against Jews in Israel target Jews here as well. 

What does that have to do with the OP? 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:56 PM, blackbird said:

"The term anti-Semitism was first popularized by German journalist Wilhelm Marr in 1879 to describe hatred or hostility toward Jews."

It's a terribly inaccurate term. 

"Semites" is the word for certain Arabs, it has nothing to do with religion, and most muslims and Israelis are equally "semitic". 

It's farcical to say that muslims are being "anti-Semitic" when they commit hate crimes against jews. 

When a muslim talks to a jew it could be a semite talking to a white person, a black person talking to a semite, two semites talking to each other, etc. 

15 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

"Semites" is the word for certain Arabs, it has nothing to do with religion, and most muslims and Israelis are equally "semitic". 

Technically you are correct from a historical view that Jews and Arabs are semites.  But the common use of the term in society is that antisemitism refers to being anti Jew.

That use developed over the past 2,000 years and is held by most of the world.  Most of the world is anti-Jew.  Nobody takes it to mean anti Arab.

35 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Technically you are correct from a historical view that Jews and Arabs are semites.  But the common use of the term in society is that antisemitism refers to being anti Jew.

That use developed over the past 2,000 years and is held by most of the world.  Most of the world is anti-Jew.  Nobody takes it to mean anti Arab.

It made sense from a western POV, and especially in Germany where Jews were largely distinguishable by racial characteristics so they could be targeted just due to their appearance, but for the avg westerner to say "anti-Semitic" to an Arab is ridiculous

Imagine an Asian Canadian calling an actual semite 'anti-Semitic' because he's threatening a white person...

It's like if a Latino calls Biden ant-white for yelling at a black person. That's literally how much sense it makes. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:16 PM, herbie said:

Trudeau actually refused to condemn anti-Jew speech at an al quds day hate rally right in Ottawa. 

He'd only say "The gov't of Canada stands against all forms of discrimination and hate speech blahblahblah", but the hate speech that happened right by our parliament was absolutely not condemned by Trudeau.

Countering the argument that Canada is not antisemetic by invoking the argument that systematic racism exists so therefore it must be is as out in left field as one can go, as is the statement that Jews must be a favoured race otherwise.
As is the usual right wing racist whine that implying that rightwing racists exist is decrimination against hetero WASPs. An argument used only by racists too stupid to realize they are the problem and unashamed to voice it.
Getting into etymology is a pretty desperate way to substantiate a case when used by people that love to throw words like "communism, left, nazi, fascist" about without even knowing their actual meaning.

• Thanks 1