Ten reasons to oppose mass immigration

Seems to be a pretty well-thought-out list, together with reasoning and evidence behind each.

For example: Farmland loss.

Despite having the second-largest landmass in the world, just 4.3% of Canada is arable, and 90% of Canadians live in a winding line of settlements within 160 KM of the U.S. border. Most immigrants settle in this same strip, which drives urban expansion: 15 million acres of farmland have been lost since 1976. Ontario loses 319 acres of farmland every day. Since 2001, Canada has lost the equivalent of seven small farms per day.

https://dominionreview.ca/10-reasons-to-oppose-mass-immigration-to-canada/

6 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Seems to be a pretty well-thought-out list, together with reasoning and evidence behind each.

For example: Farmland loss.

Didn't we have good enough reasons 50 years ago when people started talking about limiting the size of our population?

Better later than never I suppose.

I will spare you the trouble. Here are the 10 reasons we are supposed to oppose mass immigration:

1) Housing Crisis
2) Strained Healthcare
3) Farmland Loss
4) Crowding of Schools
5) Foreign Interference
6) Declining Living Standards
7) Urban Sprawl and Densification
8) Declining Social Cohesion
9) Incompatible Cultural Practices
10) Erosion of National Identity

=====

1) Housing crisis?

Immigrants make current home-owners richer.

2) Strained Healthcare?

Immigrants largely make our health care system work.

3) Farmland Loss?

WTF? I stopped there. Canada is a large country.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

Didn't we have good enough reasons 50 years ago when people started talking about limiting the size of our population?

Don't look at me. I've been opposed to immigration for decades. As I've written before, I can find no way in which Canada has become a better place to live with 40 million people than it was with 20.

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

Unlike the Swedes and Finns, we Canadians are very good at assimilating foreigners.

European foreigners. Yes, that has been our past experience.

There is no evidence we're good at assimilating Asians. Especially Muslims. Or, for that matter, people from the Caribbean or Africa. We are experimenting here. Also, in the past, we assimilated people by isolating them far from their homelands and making it pretty much impossible for them to prosper in their own language. That's no longer the case. For the past forty years we've encouraged them to NOT assimilate, and done our best to accommodate their separate cultures and languages.

Thus, according to an Immigration Canada report, dated 2014, assimilation was beginning to fail in the face of continuing high numbers. Naturally, we did nothing about that other than to double the numbers coming in.

I'll give my take on the reasons;

1) Housing Crisis = I agree 100%. It is THE biggest problem we're having right now when it comes to immigration to our current levels. Prices skyrocket because of such high demand, which is artificial. If mass immigration stopped temporarily, housing would go down by a lot and it would be a good thing.
2) Strained Healthcare = I agree with that too. Immigrants can not work in Healthcare fast mostly because they come from places where the standards are much lower than here. For example, a doctor in Syria vs a doctor in Canada is a totally different world.
3) Farmland Loss = I never thought of it and don't think it's a concern, to be honest. We have vast lands and anyway we would need more indoor growing of vegetables all year round, but it's another subject.
4) Crowding of Schools = Totally. We have that problem here in Quebec, we have major shortages of teachers because of immigrants even in Quebec City.
5) Foreign Interference = That would be the case with or without immigration because we're neighbours with the most powerful nation in Earth.
6) Declining Living Standards = Yes. More supply for labour = less demand for labour = salaries go down. Add that on top of the housing crisis caused by mass immigration and you have a recipe for poverty.
7) Urban Sprawl and Densification = For that, I don't really mind. It's actually a good thing to develop.
😎 Declining Social Cohesion = Yes, although it is the case in nations all across the Globe because work alienates people.
9) Incompatible Cultural Practices = Yes, although it is something that is manageable because at least, Canada has a variety of immigrants so there's kind of a dilution that is taking place.
10) Erosion of National Identity = Same as number 9.

I will spare you the trouble. Here are the 10 reasons we are supposed to oppose mass immigration:

1) Housing Crisis
2) Strained Healthcare
3) Farmland Loss
4) Crowding of Schools
5) Foreign Interference
6) Declining Living Standards
7) Urban Sprawl and Densification
😎 Declining Social Cohesion
9) Incompatible Cultural Practices
10) Erosion of National Identity

=====

1) Housing crisis?

Immigrants make current home-owners richer.

And make it impossible for young people to buy homes, or in many cases even afford rent. You write like a smug old boomer content with his pension and his paid-off house.

2) Strained Healthcare?

LOL

3) Farmland Loss?

WTF? I stopped there. Canada is a large country.

If you hadn't stopped there you might have read that just 4.3% of it is arable land, but it's clear you're not interested in taking in new information much less putting any thought into your answers.

2) Strained Healthcare?

I'd like to believe in that myth, it would me make feel so good. But that really is not the case. Immigrants largely make our demand grow for healthcare compared to how much they work for that sector.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:50 AM, I am Groot said:

There is no evidence we're good at assimilating Asians. Especially Muslims. Or, for that matter, people from the Caribbean or Africa.

Disagree,

Prussians, Swedes, Lutherans insist foreigners be like them.

Americans? Foreigners can do what they want.

Canadians - be like us, but no guns,

On 2/26/2024 at 6:50 AM, I am Groot said:

There is no evidence we're good at assimilating Asians.

Oh bite me. My grandkids other grandparents fled Hong Kong 50 years or more ago knowing what was coming. They're exactly the kind of hardworking freedom loving people Canada needs more of.

I bet your Mother would be ashamed if she could hear you.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:26 PM, Black Dog said:

How can someone be against both urban sprawl and densification? Incoherent.

Good point.

=====

I have a friend who opposes immigration - yet just sold his father's house for $2.1 million.

Edited by August1991

On 2/26/2024 at 1:10 AM, August1991 said:

Unlike the Swedes and Finns, we Canadians are very good at assimilating foreigners.

We Canadians have a Prussian/Austrian Hungarian way of doing this. We get along.

Americans are different.

Until we don't get along, and we are getting close to the tipping point.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:52 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

I'll give my take on the reasons;

1) Housing Crisis = I agree 100%. It is THE biggest problem we're having right now when it comes to immigration to our current levels. Prices skyrocket because of such high demand, which is artificial. If mass immigration stopped temporarily, housing would go down by a lot and it would be a good thing.
2) Strained Healthcare = I agree with that too. Immigrants can not work in Healthcare fast mostly because they come from places where the standards are much lower than here. For example, a doctor in Syria vs a doctor in Canada is a totally different world.
3) Farmland Loss = I never thought of it and don't think it's a concern, to be honest. We have vast lands and anyway we would need more indoor growing of vegetables all year round, but it's another subject.
4) Crowding of Schools = Totally. We have that problem here in Quebec, we have major shortages of teachers because of immigrants even in Quebec City.
===

"Totally"?

"Sky rocket"?

"Out there"?

I generally stop reading when anyone who uses such terms.

Farmland loss? WTF?

About half of milk in Canada is produced in Quebec.

Most Canadian grocery stores have two cheese counters: have you ever asked why?

Edited by August1991

5 hours ago, PIK said:

Until we don't get along, and we are getting close to the tipping point.

in fairness, it's not really a binary confrontation

leftist Canada is committing suicide

they are the overwhelming majority, so nobody can stop them

they will be annihilated by their own kind therein

it's not conservatives who will destroy them

the question for conservatives is simply what will we do in the rubble,

how will we live in the wake of this catastrophe wherein the majority of the population has killed itself ?

Edited by Dougie93

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

in fairness, it's not really a binary confrontation

leftist Canada is committing suicide

Agreed, Canada is not a binary confrontation

(Our federal state must function in two languages - yet it is multicultural. Canada is a federal state with two official federal languages but Canada has no official central national culture.)

Disagree, Leftist Canada is alive and living. 

23 hours ago, eyeball said:

Oh bite me. My grandkids other grandparents fled Hong Kong 50 years or more ago knowing what was coming. They're exactly the kind of hardworking freedom loving people Canada needs more of.

I bet your Mother would be ashamed if she could hear you.

Your personal experiences is not Canada's experience. By the way I'm confused about your timeline. The British didn't surrender Hong Kong until 1997, which is 26 years ago. How and why could their grandparents 'flee' a British commonwealth territory to Canada in the 1970s? 

In any event, Hong Kong is not Asia. Particularly back then. Hong Kong was a British territory for a hundred years. The middle east is part of Asia, as are Pakistan and Bangladesh. These are the Asians I believe will be most troublesome to assimilate.

The Vietnamese who came here have done well. But even the Hong Kongers who came here look down their noses at mainland Chinese who arrive, calling them uncivilized and worse. 

4 hours ago, I am Groot said:

By the way I'm confused about your timeline. The British didn't surrender Hong Kong until 1997, which is 26 years ago. How and why could their grandparents 'flee' a British commonwealth territory to Canada in the 1970s? 

They made their way to Hong Kong from mainland China then here.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:39 PM, eyeball said:

Nobody talked about that. The voices in your head just tell you eveything that ever happened to you started 50 years ago.  50 years ago they were looking at increasing the speed at which immigrants arrived.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:56 AM, QuebecOverCanada said:

I'd like to believe in that myth, it would me make feel so good. But that really is not the case. Immigrants largely make our demand grow for healthcare compared to how much they work for that sector.

A recent study showed that in fact it's our growth in population that's straining health care. We're adding more docs and nurses etc but the rate of population epansion has increased to a higher rate than we're adding medical staff.  IF we reduced immigration it would actually take strain off the industry.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

50 years ago they were looking at increasing the speed at which immigrants arrived.

Yep. And I bet people looking at population limits weren't.

In any case it's obvious who's viewpoint won the day and I'm sure they were good at the time - I'm simply pointing out there were valid points on both sides.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:02 PM, I am Groot said:

Seems to be a pretty well-thought-out list, together with reasoning and evidence behind each

but how does opposition matter in this land ?

have you not noticed that there is a ruling elite

and they are utterly unmoved by those who oppose them

since they have rigged the system to ensure that nobody but them can rise to positions of power

I mean, I was born & raised in British North America at its zenith, and it was a paradise

but nothing I have said or done in the last forty years has had any effect on the ruling elite

they destroyed my country and replaced it with a totalitarian lunatic asylum

and there was nothing I could do to stop it

sound the lament