F U Bell: CTV News Vancouver GONE

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

"Conservative and NDP MPs backed a 2022 amendment to the Online Streaming Act, opposed by the governing Liberals, that allowed Canada's private broadcasters to save about $120 million a year in regulatory fees.

Bell's share of those savings was $40 million -- the precise total of annual operating losses the broadcaster's parent, BCE Inc., cited when it slashed 4,800 jobs last week." https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/conservative-motion-backed-by-ndp-produced-40m-in-regulatory-relief-for-bell-1.6765785

So 33% of the money the government gave to bail out media went to Bell.

Cutting fees for businesses is not a subsidy or a gov't hand out. It's just cutting fees.  And if the fees are too high that's what you'd expect.

Of course liberals believe ALL money is THEIR money so not charging more than they need to feels like people are stealing from them as far as they're concerned.

17 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Cutting fees for businesses is not a subsidy or a gov't hand out. It's just cutting fees.  And if the fees are too high that's what you'd expect.

Of course liberals believe ALL money is THEIR money so not charging more than they need to feels like people are stealing from them as far as they're concerned.

So, cutting debt is not a subsidy??

Poilievre has a good point but calling the Canadian Press taxpayer funded is like calling the Starbucks on Front St West in Toronto taxpayer funded.

Also - is it me or does he not seem like he's great at taking questions from the press ?  

Is this going to work when he's PM ?   

That said, reducing regulatory in exchange for service guarantees seems like an ok path to follow but the devil is in the details.

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Poilievre has a good point but calling the Canadian Press taxpayer funded is like calling the Starbucks on Front St West in Toronto taxpayer funded.

That would be true if starbucks or coffee shops in general got 3/4 of a billion dollars form the gov't :)

I'll give you that 'taxpayer funded' makes it sound like they're mostly taxpayer funded which is inaccurate.  "Taxpayer subsidized' would be better.  But they do get taxpayer dollars

Also - is it me or does he not seem like he's great at taking questions from the press ?  

it's you.  It's actually been very succcessful, far more than trudeau's pressers where he tends to avoid the questions.

Probably even more so as far as style goes -  arguing that the gov't is subsidizing the media when HE'S the gov't probably won't fly specifically :)

That said, reducing regulatory in exchange for service guarantees seems like an ok path to follow but the devil is in the details.

As always. The path to hell is paved with details.

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Media was a minor part of the cuts, which BELL overplayed to make Trudeau look bad, because the Liberals allowed 3rd parties to get access to their Fibre network.  They want to help Poilievre, who they hope will be more friendly.
- They assert that big conglomerates can't do local media well

No, that couldn't possibly have any truth to it. [/s]

In 1982 the old 'BC Tel" asked for a HUGE price increase and Trudeau Sr said no., Within hours they announced like 2500 layoffs. That was back in the days of regulation and Pierre told them f*ck you, hire them all back at full pay and find jobs if you have surplus workers. I know, I was one of them.
Worked in maintenance, rebuild and 411 for years with frozen wages until retirements, buy outs, resignations etc opened postings to apply for.
Choice posts like move from the mainland to Haida Gwaii, Mackenzie, Dease Lake etc or quit.

You see once you place and tie in the fibre line and build the cell towers one guy can service it all over a huge area, and bandwidth Gigs cost ZERO. So nobody's gonna mess with their cash cow or they'll suffer the wrath of the Telcos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herbie said:

In 1982 the old 'BC Tel' asked for a HUGE price increase and Trudeau Sr. said no. Within hours they announced like 2500 layoffs. That was back in the days of regulation and Pierre told them f*ck you, hire them all back at full pay and find jobs if you have surplus workers. I know, I was one of them.
Worked in maintenance, rebuild and 411 for years with frozen wages until retirements, buy outs, resignations etc. opened postings to apply for.
Choice posts like move from the mainland to Haida Gwaii, Mackenzie, Dease Lake, etc. or quit.

Would the above explain your bitterness and negativity?  Hoping PP can generate some enthusiasm for us all . . . 

32 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The Canadian Press is a wire service, and does not get 750 million from the Canadian taxpayer.

The companies that own it do.

n July 2010, a tentative deal was struck between The Canadian Press' three largest stakeholders, CTVglobemedia, Torstar, and Gesca, to transform the newswire from a co-operative into a for-profit entity.[20] On November 26, 2010, Torstar, The Globe and Mail, and Square Victoria Communications Group announced they have invested in a new for-profit entity, Canadian Press Enterprises Inc., to take over the operations of The Canadian Press. The change in the ownership structure from a non-profit co-operative to a for-profit private business allowed the company to cover its pension needs and take advantage of future business opportunities, Phillip Crawley, publisher of The Globe and Mail, said in an interview, November 26, 2010. The Canadian Press had a serious pension shortfall, which was, in 2010, valued at $34.4 million.[3]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Would the above explain your bitterness and negativity?  Hoping PP can generate some enthusiasm for us all . .

Hard time comprehending or what? Bitterness at a govt that stood up to corporate blackmail?
Or bitterness at the Negative Nellies who can't even imagine fixing things, only smashing them to pieces and throwing them away? In the vague hope Mommy will buy you a new one.

Bell has been my ISP for a few years now and have absolutely no complaints. About a year ago, Bell contractors ran a fibre network through my area. A short while ago, a 3rd party offered me a pretty good (cable) internet deal with a speed of 100Mbps where they send you everything in a box and you have to do the hookup yourself. When I told them I was currently on a fibre network, they told me that wasn't a problem but they couldn't go higher than 25Mbps. I could be wrong but it seemed that while 3rd parties could rent/utilize the Bell fibre there were certain restrictions put into place where the 3rd parties (and their customers) couldn't utilize it to its full potential. If that IS the way it works, it sounds like a reasonably fair accommodation by the CRTC for Bell's competitors.

Edited by suds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

In which accounting system is that? Are you suggesting that in GAAP all expenses are debts?  Is that how you believe it works?

Dude, If you owe, it is a debt. if you owe, it is an expense.

Like it or not, it is on the negative side of the ledger.

:debt

: something owed 
: a state of being under obligation to pay or repay someone or something
Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

So what you're actually saying is what you meant if you're trying to say...what?

The wheels in his head go round round round.

Asking for clarification as to what someone is saying and telling them what they're saying is two different things :)

Of course - not to a leftist like you who thinks it's perfectly natural to tell people what to think of course :) 

15 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Dude, If you owe, it is a debt. if you owe, it is an expense.

Like it or not, it is on the negative side of the ledger.

:debt

: something owed 
: a state of being under obligation to pay or repay someone or something

No, sorry that's not how it works.

If i need pens for my business and i go to the store and buy pens, i will mark it as an expense in my accounting. But there's no debt.  An expense is not a debt.  And a debt is not an expense until you pay it.  It's an account payable. It's a liability, but not an expense. Thats why your ledger will have "Expense AND LIABILITY",  not just expense.

You have no idea what you're talking about. At all.  You're 100 percent wrong.

22 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Asking for clarification as to what someone is saying and telling them what they're saying is two different things :)

That's right, and using them as straw-men when you're dumbstruck is another.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

Yeah - i don't think you know what 'straw man' means but i'm sure you thought it sounded cool :P

Yeah - I know that's what you think...nonetheless it was a concise description of what you are, dumbstruck, and what you do to compensate, fallaciousness.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Yeah - I know that's what you think..

Well i'd hate to argue with the evidence and facts :P

.nonetheless it was a concise description of what you are, dumbstruck, and what you do to compensate, fallaciousness.

Sigh - that's it.  I'm taking back your 'word of the day' calendar till you can learn to use it responsibly.

On 2/15/2024 at 1:42 PM, Michael Hardner said:

I didn't know star bucks receive direct funding from the federal government...to keep their doors open...

Not great at taking pointed questions from journalist that have a axe to grind...

Works for justin just great, in fact it has gotten him 3 terms...