What happened to Canada

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But - people like eyeball believe that wealth cannot be created

If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have invested in things like a fishing boat, logging equipment, Airbnb or improvements to my property. Right-wingers believe they know everything they need to know about people like me.

Right-wingers also seem to believe everyone needs to forever sniff the butts of their betters to get ahead. It adds a truly significant weight to an economic playing field already heavily tilted by politicians and all levels of government in the direction of the 1%.

Like I said above, governments encourage it, right-wingers cheer and the 1% laugh all the way to the proverbial bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

If I didn't believe that I wouldn't have invested in things like a fishing boat, logging equipment, Airbnb or improvements to my property

Sure you would have.  You'd just say 'well seeing as everyone else is ripping people off... "

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Right-wingers also seem to believe everyone needs to forever sniff the butts of their betters to get ahead.

Literally none of us believe that :)   In fact, that's really what the whole reform thing was all about and why we have a cpc today.  And just so we're clear - please stop sniffing my butt.

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Like I said above, governments encourage it, right-wingers cheer and the 1% laugh all the way to the proverbial bank.

Yeah - unfortunately repeating something wrong and stupid doesnt' make it right or smart.

14 minutes ago, Legato said:

Nonsense. It's human nature to take whatever they can. Some more than others.

It's also human nature to take it back. Some more than others,  which is how it can get really destructive.

It's also been in our human nature to learn and progress, albeit slowly at times...two steps forward one back is how we usually roll. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's also human nature to take it back. Some more than others,  which is how it can get really destructive.

It's also been in our human nature to learn and progress, albeit slowly at times...two steps forward one back is how we usually roll. 

The new populism is populism... When they talk about the elites they are against the one percent. But they seem to only name the 1% who invest in green energy for some reason.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Sure you would have.  You'd just say 'well seeing as everyone else is ripping people off... "

No, that's the sort cynicism that turns ordinary people into butt-sniffing right-wingers.  I'd apply for MAID before that ever happened to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

The illusion of "sharing money" to overcome every obstacle is ridiculous.

Please note that no one forced anyone to pay our grandfathers a better share of the capital gains being realized. Their employers were not communists.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

What happened to Canada?

The same thing that happened everywhere else in North America. The 1% decided to keep more of the capital gains they were willing to share with our grandfather's. They invested those gains in other countries ripe for the picking. Our governments encouraged it and conservatives cheered it.

Everything's gone down hill since and now the left gets blamed while the 1% laughs all the way to the bank.

I actually blame the left too for having put up with it for so long. What we really need is a good old fashioned grassroots class war to shake things up.

Which of course is what caused our grandfather's employers to share capital gains around more fairly in the first place.  It's an age old perennial problem for which there's usually only one solution. 

You and Hardner are such commies.

collectivizers who don’t support protecting property.  That’s a big constitutional difference between Canada and the US.   

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

The new populism is populism... When they talk about the elites they are against the one percent. But they seem to only name the 1% who invest in green energy for some reason.

When they talk about the right and left they don't just fail to realize they're part of the same great unwashed they actually picked sides! 🤣

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You and Hardner are such commies.

Speaking for myself I'm probably not much different than you, I just want to burn it from the other direction is all.

It's funny, whenever I say the words 'burn it' I hear Sean Connery's voice in my head. He would have been a more genuine pick for the role of William Wallace than Mel Gibson I think.

9 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

To them, the left is people who don't overreact when they see a picture of a trans woman...

This is the sort of issue that Poilievre will 'focus' his time on fixing - a convenient distraction while making the world even safer for the 1%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

That I can agree with. However human nature is what it is. Always has been always will be.

The inevitability is inevitable.

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

This is the sort of issue that Poilievre will 'focus' his time on fixing - a convenient distraction while making the world even safer for the 1%.

I hope not. The fox guy seems to think it won't be that hard for Pierre to turn the economy around...

I'm sure all these people will hold their heroes to their promises right? Right?

Edited by Michael Hardner
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

To them, the left is people who don't overreact when they see a picture of a trans woman...

Which has nothing at all to do with the subject.

Who is "them"?

13 minutes ago, Legato said:

However human nature is what it is. Always has been always will be.

The inevitability is inevitable.

No it isn't, because it's also in our human nature to cooperatively act against the inevitable. We'd still be a tree-dwelling prey-species otherwise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

What happened to Canada?

The same thing that happened everywhere else in North America. The 1% decided to keep more of the capital gains they were willing to share with our grandfather's. They invested those gains in other countries ripe for the picking. Our governments encouraged it and conservatives cheered it.

Everything's gone down hill since and now the left gets blamed while the 1% laughs all the way to the bank.

I actually blame the left too for having put up with it for so long. What we really need is a good old fashioned grassroots class war to shake things up.

Which of course is what caused our grandfather's employers to share capital gains around more fairly in the first place.  It's an age old perennial problem for which there's usually only one solution.

Whoa whoa eyeball, anti-elitism? Grassroots?  That's populism, a dirty word these days.

Our political representatives in Ottawa, and in the provinces and on city councils, simply can't be trusted to act and vote in our best interests.

No, that's the sort cynicism that turns ordinary people into butt-sniffing right-wingers.  I'd apply for MAID before that ever happened to me.  

No, that's what every crybaby leftist like you does in the end.  "Everybodys into it for themselves man, nobody cares.  I think i'll buy a revenue property just to show them i can do the same scummy things they do :)   Didja ever notice most really rich people are leftists?

But sure - go try the maid thing, tell us how that works out for you :)

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I hope not. The fox guy Young floor, Mary seems to think it won't be that hard for Pierre to turn the economy around...

I'm sure all these people will hold their heroes to their promises right? Right?

I suppose we could take a page out of your book and vote for him and then pretend we never did and in fact we're actually on the other side of the political fence, honest!!!!  :) 

2 hours ago, Legato said:

Which has nothing at all to do with the subject.

Who is "them"?

Conservatives -  whom he claims to be a part of once in a while, but as we see here he isn't :) 

• Like 1

Reading these comments it really feels like the left is furious that canada under woke leftism has utterly crashed and burned and is toast, and that it's very likely that PP and the conservatives will make things better and prove that their model is the superior one.

There's a lot of sour grapes and salty tears.   Much crying that the right are such terrible people and can the words 'deplorable' and 'Chud' be far behind?

Sorry to those on the left - your ideology leads to ruin and suffering for the masses, especially the poor. Always does, always will. Other than very specific very small and homogenous groups, it just is a failure. 

Fortunately in about a year and 3/4 or less we'll have some new governance and we can fix this.

• Like 1

Wrong.  I don’t think most people have anything against trans people.  It’s the idea of children getting sex changes and social workers or staff keeping parents out of the loop without a good reason that worries people.  All trans and gay people must not be mistreated.  There’s a conflict of rights when it comes to female sports teams and changeroom safety.  These are a small range of issues that shouldn’t take up much government energy unless people are proposing or implementing ridiculous policies.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I do appreciate that people hate the passive aggressive patina of the Liberal rhetoric.  I do too, but for different reasons.

The thing is, if you dislike Trudeau then you have to realize the other criticism of his methods: that he's FAKE.

The hands-holding language that he uses amounts to a tag-line, a jingle, a slogan.  It costs them nothing and gains them votes, to a point.

But if you pay too much attention, you validate it and play into his hands.

Do you have a source that this tactic actually works....burying one head in the sand has never solved anything that i know...and when do we stand up and actually take notice of what is being done...

15 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

These are a small range of issues that shouldn’t take up much government energy unless people are proposing or implementing ridiculous policies.

Compared to the ridiculous amounts of energy that right wingers have put into highlighting these issues? Good luck with that.  Look at how much action on more important things Trudeau has been able to avoid by letting a small number of social/cultural fads turn into great big existential issues?  They're too handy a distraction to believe Conservatives won't exploit them to do the very same thing for the very same reason - to lead in circles that go nowhere at the same glacial pace. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Compared to the ridiculous amounts of energy that right wingers have put into highlighting these issues? Good luck with that.  Look at how much action on more important things Trudeau has been able to avoid by letting a small number of social/cultural fads turn into great big existential issues?  They're too handy a distraction to believe Conservatives won't exploit them to do the very same thing for the very same reason - to lead in circles that go nowhere at the same glacial pace. 

The answer is to remove all funding and departments on equity, gender, and identity groups.  End all the pseudoscientific training and funding.  That should reduce the size of government by about 100%.