Trudeau: Conservatives want to take us backwards! Voters: Oh god YES PLEASE!!!!

34 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

In the US it's legal and open. Okay.

I just googled Nancy Pelosi net worth and got 115 million, and Mitch McConnell net worth 54 million.

Canadian politicians aren't getting a 10th of that, no way. If you can find otherwise, let me know.

The green belt scandal in Ontario revealed that hundreds of thousands of dollars are going from contributors TO THE PARTY.  Not the individual politicians.

Our politicians are not as corrupt, period.

I'm not arguing scale.   The US economy is far larger and has most of the richest corporations in the world.

13 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I'm not arguing scale.   The US economy is far larger and has most of the richest corporations in the world.

Scale matters though... Do you think that Trudeau has personally pocketed 10 million 20 million that would be to scale.

My example from Doug Ford, or If you're familiar with the mike duffy scandal from the Harper years?

These are mice nuts. American politicians are extremely effective at executing corporate orders. Canadian politicians are ineffectual at executing, but overall more focused on the people I would say.

Trudeau or Poilievre are both guys who look nice but the devil is in the details, they both support the war in Ukraine which has probably killed a million people and they support the criminals of Israel who have killed at least 25,000 Palestinians, including probably 20,000 children, so the reality is that they are monsters. They both say they're going to give us money but they won't take that money from the richest so they're going to take it back. Don't be so naïve.

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Well you could write it also as... Providing funds for people during a pandemic, and removing an archaic prohibition against a relatively harmless drug.

2. Yeah that's fair, but is Poilievre going to solve the problem?

3. I'm sure if you went through it all you could find one or two things that are okay. Nobody is all bad. I even found a good number of Trump initiatives that are groundbreaking and or commendable.

It is documented that marijuana and alcohol use increased significantly during the covid lockdowns. Those stores were allowed to remain open.

I was not allowed to stop working and remain home due to my profession. I remember seeing a lineup of 10-20 people outside the LCBO as I drove to work each day. I started work at 10 AM, so the lineup was there already at 945, people waiting for it to open. This scene was consistent.

Some folk got more money from the handout under covid than they did while working. Nothing to do all day, so let's party. Or maybe lay a beating on the wife. Domestic violence increased as well.

a relatively harmless drug

Relatively, in context with alcohol, cocaine and heroin, but not completely. There is evidence now that marijuana affects every organ in the body including the vital organs, heart, liver, kidneys, pancreas. The heart is the most significant, as marijuana is associated with changes in the heart's rhythm.

Canada is conducting a major experiment with weed, since no other country has gone with legalizing it as we've done, so consumption is really high. Really really high. Chronic use has most certainly gone up with availability and social acceptance. The outcome of this experiment on public health is yet to be seen, give it another ten years or so.

But I won't be surprised if they find some significant risks for people who consume it chronically. There may be good reasons to want to role back a little. It may even need to be re-criminalized again.

See thread title...

;)

Edited by OftenWrong

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Scale matters though... Do you think that Trudeau has personally pocketed 10 million 20 million that would be to scale.

My example from Doug Ford, or If you're familiar with the mike duffy scandal from the Harper years?

These are mice nuts. American politicians are extremely effective at executing corporate orders. Canadian politicians are ineffectual at executing, but overall more focused on the people I would say.

I'm not interested in defending our system.  Scale doesn't matter, the effect on policy does.  Greenbelt scams, SNC Lavalin, WE Charity, Chinese donations to the Trudeau Foundation etc, free Aga Khan vacations, and countless other examples we'll never hear about.  Our governments are run by corrupt sellouts.

1 hour ago, Moonlight Graham said:

1. I'm not interested in defending our system.  Scale doesn't matter, the effect on policy does. 

2. Greenbelt scams, SNC Lavalin, WE Charity, Chinese donations to the Trudeau Foundation etc, free Aga Khan vacations, and countless other examples we'll never hear about.  Our governments are run by corrupt sellouts.

1. Ok fair enough but of course scale matters.

2. I'll bet if you go to Sweden or someplace they have just as much coverage of scandals. I'll bet the scandals are that somebody let their dog pee on their neighbors lawn.  In the US, elected representatives try to change documents to add spending for their friends and it barely makes the news.

Part of what a thinking public needs to do is prioritize.

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

So he technically is the Robin Hood of politics. Take from those who work, make life unaffordable for those who can't, and give them crumbs so they rely on you in perpetuity.

THere's an old saying that i recently made up....  "One of the most effective ways to enslave a man is to provide for his every need".

(actually is based off of a douglas adams quote but it's still true :) )

What do I win?

40 years of economic under performance, lower quality of life, reduced opportunity and syphallus.  (i threw the last one in so at least the other three won't seem so bad)

This article about the feds’ “trans-affirming toolkit” says everything about the silly pseudoscientific priorities of the Liberal Canadian government.  If this is progress, I’ll gladly regress.  It would be funny if it wasn’t real:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jamie-sarkonak-trans-affirming-toolkit-tells-teachers-to-put-ideology-above-biology/wcm/4fb25809-b965-473d-a6bc-57bb7c5133d8/amp/

Edited by Zeitgeist

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

In the US it's legal and open. Okay.

I just googled Nancy Pelosi net worth and got 115 million, and Mitch McConnell net worth 54 million.

Canadian politicians aren't getting a 10th of that, no way. If you can find otherwise, let me know.

The green belt scandal in Ontario revealed that hundreds of thousands of dollars are going from contributors TO THE PARTY.  Not the individual politicians.

Our politicians are not as corrupt, period.

That is very true and demonstrably so. I beleive harper's current net worth is around 8 million plus his pension. He's not eating beans and rice but he's not buying one of putin's yachts or the like. Basically that's the same as owning 5 homes in toronto.

Their corruption is more about staying in power.

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Mike Duffy scandal? Lol

Are you still going to believe what the Liberals or the Conservatives say? Poilievre says he's going to give us money, but where is he going to get it? Directly in our pockets, any department of the state you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket, the Conservatives or the Liberals have never taken the money of the rich who put billions in tax havens. And by the way, they never said that the money they're going to give us will come from the richest, so where do you think it's going to come from?

7 hours ago, Gaétan said:

Are you still going to believe what the Liberals or the Conservatives say? Poilievre says he's going to give us money, but where is he going to get it? Directly in our pockets, any department of the state you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket, the Conservatives or the Liberals have never taken the money of the rich who put billions in tax havens. And by the way, they never said that the money they're going to give us will come from the richest, so where do you think it's going to come from?

Polievre has never said he's going to give us money

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Polievre has never said he's going to give us money

When he says he axes taxes it is the samething he gives you dollars. When he says he'll cut the deficit which is beautiful but when you'll need a service from the govenrment like health care, they'll tell you: Sorry sir the income tax you pay is not enough, he won't take that money from tax havens off course but it will have to come right from your pocket. Then he's going to take back double the money he gave you. Don't be so stupid this time and vote for the Green or the NDP no matter what CBC or media owned by richer say. The media don't work for you but for the profits of richer.

Edited by Gaétan

1 hour ago, Gaétan said:

When he says he axes taxes it is the samething he gives you dollars.

No that is !diotic.  Letting someone keep something they own already isn't 'giving' anything to anyone.  Do you have a computer? I'm going to let you keep your computer.  There - i just gave you a computer.

When he says he'll cut the deficit which is beautiful but when you'll need a service from the govenrment like health care, they'll tell you: Sorry sir the income tax you pay is not enough,

Health care is provincial. If you need to raise provincial taxes for health care then talk to your premier. that's not pp.

However - there's a tonne of services we DON'T need. we don't need the cbc.  we don't need "arrive can apps" that cost hundreds of millions.

Why is it that trudeau increased spending but we have worse services than ever right now?

When you reduce spending and taxes the economy gets stronger.  when the economy gets stronger, people make more money. When htey make more money - THEY PAY MORE TAXES.

You cannot 'tax' a country into prosperity. It does not work.  You make the country prosper by keeping taxes low and focus on providing necessary services only and i mean REALLY necessary.  And as the country prospers more tax money comes in per person.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

No that is !diotic.  Letting someone keep something they own already isn't 'giving' anything to anyone.  Do you have a computer? I'm going to let you keep your computer.  There - i just gave you a computer.

Health care is provincial. If you need to raise provincial taxes for health care then talk to your premier. that's not pp.

However - there's a tonne of services we DON'T need. we don't need the cbc.  we don't need "arrive can apps" that cost hundreds of millions.

Why is it that trudeau increased spending but we have worse services than ever right now?

When you reduce spending and taxes the economy gets stronger.  when the economy gets stronger, people make more money. When htey make more money - THEY PAY MORE TAXES.

You cannot 'tax' a country into prosperity. It does not work.  You make the country prosper by keeping taxes low and focus on providing necessary services only and i mean REALLY necessary.  And as the country prospers more tax money comes in per person.

What people should say when Poilievre says he'll axe the taxes it' s let's get rid of Poilievre taxes, that's the conclusion we have to make. Axe the taxes and get rid of the deficit means he'll double up the taxes. And by the way, the federal pay a fair amount for health care then if they cut it the provincial will have to charge it to us for your information there is only one taxe funding, you.

Edited by Gaétan

2 hours ago, Gaétan said:

What people should say when Poilievre says he'll axe the taxes it' s let's get rid of Poilievre taxes, that's the conclusion we have to make. Axe the taxes and get rid of the deficit means he'll double up the taxes. And by the way, the federal pay a fair amount for health care then if they cut it the provincial will have to charge it to us for your information there is only one taxe funding, you.

Man - someone REALLY needs to re-write your code, you are the buggiest of bots.

On 1/20/2024 at 12:48 PM, CdnFox said:

https://torontosun.com/news/national/yes-please-trudeau-accuses-poilievre-of-wanting-to-take-canada-backwards

'YES, PLEASE!': Trudeau accuses Poilievre of wanting to ‘take Canada backwards’

“The Conservative Party under Pierre Poilievre has made it very, very clear that they want to take Canada backwards,” Trudeau declared. “All those ways and more.”

It seems, however, that Canadians would kill to go backwards and the Internet didn’t disappoint with their responses.

These were the ones that stood out:

“Backwards about 9-10 years would be f***ing beauty.”

“I’d love to go backwards to affordable groceries, housing, gas, etc.”

“Plz let’s go backwards to the good old non carbon tax days when life was affordable.”

“Back to lower cost of living; back to affordable housing; back to respect on the foreign stage; back to a nation that’s not divided; and back to common sense policies! This all sounds good to me. Let’s go back to the Harper days of prosperity!”

“If this bozo doesn’t lose in an absolute landslide, I’m talking the biggest electoral defeat in history, then I have lost all faith in democracy.”

“Back to the greatest country in the world? Yes please!”

LOL - yeah, i don't think running on '" Do you REALLY want to undo the damage i've done" is a great platform for him :)  I think a lot of Canadians regret the last 7 years

Trudeau thought he was owning the Conservatives.  But he actually owned himself.