drunk drivers...

On 1/16/2024 at 8:07 PM, Army Guy said:

There are drinking and driving offenses that are both provincial and federal.

https://www.squareone.ca/resource-centres/car-insurance/drinking-and-driving

Federal drinking and driving laws in Canada

The most serious drinking and driving laws in Canada are at the federal level. These laws apply across the country, and can result in arrest and criminal charges if you break them.

The federal BAC limit is .08%.

Any driver in Canada with a BAC over .08 can face criminal charges. At this level, impaired driving convictions come with mandatory minimum fines and the possibility of imprisonment.

These are the potential penalties for someone charged with having a BAC over .08% within two hours of driving:

First offense Second offense Third offense
  • Minimum $1,000 fine
  • Maximum 10 years’ imprisonment
  • Minimum 30 days’ imprisonment
  • Minimum 120 days’ imprisonment

Reusing to provide a breath sample carries a minimum $2,000 fine. Additionally, there are escalating minimum fines for first offenders with a BAC of .12–.159 or .160 and above.

I really want to know what the fines and prison time for having 21 convictions...

My guess would be the equivalent of a 3rd offence penalty.  However, there has to be a point where the judge just suspends the offender's license indefinitely. Although if the guy was caught that many times, chances are that for the majority of times, he was driving while disqualified.  I bet that he is driving uninsured, and probably without registration too.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:56 PM, CdnFox said:

Repeat Violent offenders are released regularly and often reoffend THE SAME DAY.  Picked up in the morning - picked up again that afternoon.

The recidivism rate for violent sex offences  are very low.   In fact, the recidivism rate for sex offenders is 5.3% compared to 13.4% for all crimes.  Drunk driving, I believe it is relatively high at 30%. Don't let media sensationalism fool you. 

Edited by DUI_Offender

I think people for the most part don't put much thought into it, in fact i'm as guilty as you are, driving home hungover getting pulled over never even came into my mind...I'm just lucky that nothing did happen...but 22 times is over the top...one would think 2 times would be over the top...

On 1/20/2024 at 2:30 AM, DUI_Offender said:

I felt so much shame that I quit drinking after driving home in the morning hungover, and got pinched.

Good point.

Drunk drivers typically get caught in the morning.

=====

In Canada, we have a federal criminal code.

But in this case, provincial officers apply the law.

As Margaret Trudeau once did, I would say nothing, and wait until lawyers decided.

On 1/20/2024 at 4:34 PM, Army Guy said:

I think people for the most part don't put much thought into it, in fact i'm as guilty as you are, driving home hungover getting pulled over never even came into my mind...I'm just lucky that nothing did happen...but 22 times is over the top...one would think 2 times would be over the top...

Several decades/centuries ago, I drove home drunk. Abroad, given my papers, I was waved on.

Never, ever would I do this now.

Edited by August1991

To wit.

At about 3am, the German police once stopped me in a rental car - I was near Leipzig, leaving a bar - I had not drank - at all. The cops were polite, good. (Flashing lights. I asked whether I could speak English. remove my hands from the steering wheel.)

Another time, in Toronto, New Year's 2000. I was stopped. (Remember the CN tower exploding?)

====

If you drink, stay at home. And if you drive and don't don't drink at all, it's great when they stop you.

Here's the skinny on that guy:

https://theprovince.com/news/crime/bc-man-21-impaired-driving-convictions/wcm/1e5a013f-99b9-4a5e-bf2f-3cb7b59a8e98

The guy's been locked up umpteen times for years, reoffends as soon as he's out. How the hell do you buy or rent cars with a lifetime suspended license or get insurance for it?
You borrow someone's. You use a work vehicle. You steal one.

The guy should be in a psych institute forever.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, herbie said:

Here's the skinny on that guy:

https://theprovince.com/news/crime/bc-man-21-impaired-driving-convictions/wcm/1e5a013f-99b9-4a5e-bf2f-3cb7b59a8e98

The guy's been locked up umpteen times for years, reoffends as soon as he's out. How the hell do you buy or rent cars with a lifetime suspended license or get insurance for it?
You borrow someone's. You use a work vehicle. You steal one.

The guy should be in a psych institute forever.

My problem is this, if and when he kills or severely injures someone, How do you explain all that to the family of the person that is dead...how do you explain that the system is flawed, and failed to act accordly...

One would think a banning from any alcoholic beverage would be a parole violation...let alone driving...

7 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

My problem is this, if and when he kills or severely injures someone, How do you explain all that to the family of the person that is dead...how do you explain that the system is flawed, and failed to act accordly...

One would think a banning from any alcoholic beverage would be a parole violation...let alone driving...

We might ask the same question for the girl who got raped twice by the same guy when he was released right after being arrested. Or the guy on bail who killed that cop in manitoba, or the families of the first nations community that got slaughtered by the repeat offender in their family who just got released or a bunch of other people since 2017 who have died or been raped or wounded at the hands of a chronic reoffender who's been out on bail or parole due to the new laws.  The list is huge. And they haven't fixed it despite promising to.

Thats from the same party who spend over a billion on a gun registry because it was worth it if it saves 'just one life'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 4:49 PM, Army Guy said:

AG, I no longer drink and drive. Thank God, I did not have to pay for my foolishness.

The cost of a life? About $20 million.

Younger, I wonder if someone had imposed this premium on me - if I had done what I did.

On 1/14/2024 at 4:32 PM, Army Guy said:

I know drinking and driving is a provincial matter, but in" BC GO figure"we have a special case here his a guy working on his 22 nd charge...yes that is right 21 times before that he was charged and convicted of drinking and driving...he has spent a total of 9 years in prison...he has been charged with hurting someone in a car crash, and yet he continues to operate a motor vehicle, while impaired...maybe it is just me or do we really need to tighten the laws up in this case? not just provincially but right across the nation... How do things get this bad...

How is he able to continue to have a license after having been charged 21 times?  Doesn't the ICBC revoke people's license?

On 1/22/2024 at 8:46 PM, herbie said:

You can't.

Just like you can't explain how someone reoffends the minute they've done their time. There simply isn't a simple solution.

Ya there is, you make laws that deter people from doing those crimes...our laws don't do that...we are to concerned with the criminals rights, and don't really think of the victims rights...We have been at this for decades and still have not got it right...Lets remember this guy already hurt someone, while drinking and driving, he has shown the court that whatever they do to him he will continue this behavior...so use him as an example for the rest of the country to see...

1 hour ago, herbie said:

In simpler terms lock them up and for longer you mean?
Or did you have a more constructive solution?

Honestly i do like actually locking them up longer - with a rule that your time behind bars doubles each time they catch you. That should work itself out long before time 21.

I was ALSO going to suggest forcing them to drive a 73 pinto because then if they hit anything they'll blow up and burn to death and not be a problem. but i realized most here are too young to remember the 73 pinto :) 

13 hours ago, herbie said:

In simpler terms lock them up and for longer you mean?
Or did you have a more constructive solution?

I'd be open to anything, that would work...but if there is no other program then yes, lock them up longer...

On 2/1/2024 at 12:29 PM, Army Guy said:

I'd be open to anything, that would work...but if there is no other program then yes, lock them up longer...

At a certain point, we have to accept that rehabilitation isn't happening.  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 21 times...ummm, what planet am I on?  

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:32 PM, Army Guy said:

...Nope we have to wait until they kill someone...

Even after they kill someone, depending on who they are, they can continue doing what they have been doing.

There was a young rich guy in Ontario who I think wiped out a family - two grandparents and a kid or two.  He went to jail but from what I know has been released before serving more than 3 years.  Can't remember the name - think it sounded Italian but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cougar said:

Even after they kill someone, depending on who they are, they can continue doing what they have been doing.

There was a young rich guy in Ontario who I think wiped out a family - two grandparents and a kid or two.  He went to jail but from what I know has been released before serving more than 3 years.  Can't remember the name - think it sounded Italian but I may be wrong.

Here you go, the name was Marco Muzzo

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/marco-muzzo-drunk-driver-who-killed-3-children-and-grandfather-granted-full-parole-1.5301289

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2024 at 7:38 PM, herbie said:

Driving while hung over isn't an offence.
Unless you confuse "hung over" with "still drunk". Like a lot of people who chugged a 40 pounder and had a three hour nap seem to think.

I think I must of had between 15-20 drinks the night before. I believe i  had my last drink at around 2:00 AM. I work up at 11:15 AM, and was going to grab food with a woman. At around noon that is when I rear ended the parked vehicle, while I was parallel parking. 

Call it what you wise, I felt hungover, and thought I would be OK, considering it had been 10 hours since my last drink.

I was wrong.