Dave Chapelle Brilliantly Frames How Trans Ideology Feels Like for an Outsider

59 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Of course, activists will try to shame and shut it down, but to me, this is comedic brilliance.

You know the punchline is coming up, but he's a master of diversion.

There's no punch line.  Is it funny because he uses the n-word ?

This is the problem with Chapelle these days... he just wants to lecture about social issues.  Like Hannah Gadsby, but on the other side.  Interesting, sure.  Funny ?  Not at all.... his show was the best and now he's a sociology professor.  I don't need a lecture...

That was funny. At least some of us have a sense of humour.

46 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

This is the problem with Chapelle these days... he just wants to lecture about social issues.  Like Hannah Gadsby, but on the other side.  Interesting, sure.  Funny ?  Not at all.... his show was the best and now he's a sociology professor.  I don't need a lecture...

You must be buying grapes from the wrong store.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Legato said:

That was funny. At least some of us have a sense of humour.

You must be buying grapes from the wrong store.

Two and a half minutes and what exactly is the punch line? It's that.... That's how trans people make me feel.

I think you have to sort of be neutral on that topic in order to be objective about whether his story is funny or not.

I don't have a political AXE to grind so I'm just looking for the funny.

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Two and a half minutes and what exactly is the punch line? It's that.... That's how trans people make me feel.

I think you have to sort of be neutral on that topic in order to be objective about whether his story is funny or not.

It's the lead in to prepare for the punchline.

What's it got do with politics?

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's no punch line. 

The set up is literally 99% of the video, where there is misdirection as he delves into his story building it into making it clear its a trans joke, with his drawing parallels.

Its irrelevant that you find it funny or not--the punchline is blatant. Its the last sentence O_o

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Like Hannah Gadsby

Not at all.

That's the beauty with comedy. Its not for everyone. You don't find his joke funny. I don't find Gadsby funny.

It's just a joke.

It does have a punchline, it's the part at the very end where everyone laughs and Dave is smiling.  If there's no punchline, like Dave and Hannah sometimes do, then it's not a joke, they're preaching.  Dave has said he has friends who are trans who come to his shows and laugh at his trans jokes.

Dave has said that the predicament trans people find themselves in is funny. A woman trapped in a man's body is funny.  It's like a sitcom setup.  If people including trans people can't laugh at that at times then they take things too seriously and are too sensitive.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 1

Are you saying the joke doesn't offend you?  I would disagree.

I don't think so. I can find an offensive joke funny, as long as the joke is funny.

I've heard plenty of N-word jokes, and heard some which made me laugh. If the punchline is on point, I will find it funny.

To quote one of my favorite comedians Tony Roberts (to a person in the crowd crossing his arms about a joke he didn't approve of): "You the type who spells his laughs out when he laugh...H - A - H - A" *says joke in a very disapproving and serious tone*

7 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Its the last sentence

You have to catch MH in the first sentence or two.

Kinda like my boss. If you didn't make your most pressing point in the first 1-2 sentences, he simply wouldn't get it.

;)

12 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

It's just a joke.

It does have a punchline, it's the part at the very end where everyone laughs and Dave is smiling.  If there's no punchline, like Dave and Hannah sometimes do, then it's not a joke, they're preaching.  Dave has said he has friends who are trans who come to his shows and laugh at his trans jokes.

Dave has said that the predicament trans people find themselves in is funny. A woman trapped in a man's body is funny.  It's like a sitcom setup.  If people including trans people can't laugh at that at times then they take things too seriously and are too sensitive.

I just don't feel anything about it.  

10 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Are you saying the joke doesn't offend you?  I would disagree.

You're asking if I'm offended then saying that if I say I'm not, you disagree...

🤔

7 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Dave has said that the predicament trans people find themselves in is funny.

It is.

He even does a skit of a white supremacist trapped in a black man's body. But is legally blind, and is non stop ranting about black people. This is comedy gold.

Black comedians need to be protected at all costs. I don't give a f***. I will make a racial joke, without a care of the consequence. I'd rather apologize for a joke that didn't land, than ask permission to make it. What I love about a lot of black comedians.

I remember making a big tit joke on a girl who had a top too small on a first date. She got offended, I reminded her she made our server blush. If she sneeze and I see nipples, I'm staring.

She then opened up about how she had a low self esteem and weighed over 200lbs in her prior relationship. She lost weight, and wanted to feel sexy. I broke the ice, she opened up. She liked the fact I had the b***s to own the jokes, and said due to this--I got away with making "wrong" jokes that would get another man slapped.

I made Asian jokes to my wife--she made black man jokes. We are both still alive.

Comedy is the glue that holds society together. Nothing should be off limits.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I just don't feel anything about it.  

You're asking if I'm offended then saying that if I say I'm not, you disagree...

🤔

Ok, maybe you didn't get the joke?  Anyways, I disagree he's outright preaching, it's just a joke, people laughed when he compared Jim Carrey to trans people.

Here's Dave in the same special making a joke about a handicapped GOP politician in a wheelchair and making fun of his handicap.  I'm willing to bet he actually has no issues with handicapped people.

13 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Kinda like my boss. If you didn't make your most pressing point in the first 1-2 sentences, he simply wouldn't get it.

I had an employee like this.

You had to spell every single thing out for them. She would then angrily retort with: "How am I supposed to know. Its not written anywhere, is it?!"

I.E Customer handed them credit card info. It didn't go through. She was adamant the card was wrong. The client told her the card number was correct after verification.

"did you check the expiry date?" "did you correctly obtain the CVC code at the bottom?"

She was adamant the card number was wrong.

I'm trying to get her to go backwards. Check that all the provided information is correct. She was stuck on the card number. Client gets flustered, and contacts me, directly.

Long story short, I apologize to them, and just obtain the info myself.

She was off on the CVC code. O_o

"How am I supposed to know. Its not written anywhere, is it?!"

As an employer, we should have the right to tell an employee at least once: "that's because your d**b a** didn't write it down properly!"

To add insult to injury, she was in shock, at finding out she was on thin ice with our company.

4 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

it's just a joke

That's literally all that this was. A long setup, and a punchline. No political anything. Just humor.

12 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

It is.

He even does a skit of a white supremacist trapped in a black man's body. But is legally blind, and is non stop ranting about black people. This is comedy gold.

Black comedians need to be protected at all costs. I don't give a f***. I will make a racial joke, without a care of the consequence. I'd rather apologize for a joke that didn't land, than ask permission to make it. What I love about a lot of black comedians.

I remember making a big tit joke on a girl who had a top too small on a first date. She got offended, I reminded her she made our server blush. If she sneeze and I see nipples, I'm staring.

She then opened up about how she had a low self esteem and weighed over 200lbs in her prior relationship. She lost weight, and wanted to feel sexy. I broke the ice, she opened up. She liked the fact I had the b***s to own the jokes, and said due to this--I got away with making "wrong" jokes that would get another man slapped.

I made Asian jokes to my wife--she made black man jokes. We are both still alive.

Comedy is the glue that holds society together. Nothing should be off limits.

Dave Chappelle makes fun of asian people and mocks their accents in his specials.  His wife is Filipino.  He makes jokes, some get offended, he doesn't care.  This is the world I want to live in and he's brave to not give in to the PC police who try to bully and guilt him into compliance of their ultra-sensitive worldview.  Let's not take ourselves so seriously.

21 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Dave Chappelle makes fun of asian people and mocks their accents in his specials. 

Know whats crazy?

They laugh.

My wife dies when I do an impression of a co-worker I had, calling clients for their part orders.

"Hi sir, your farts are in" "you ordered farts, Decemver pipt(5th)" Client would be in utter confusion as to what was going on, like it was some prank call. I couldn't correct her, because that's racist, but clients would all complain about her "horrible" English to me.

My wife's English is very strong, so she has never had that issue.

I wish people who got offended easy, all got to go to places like China or the Philippines. They don't give two s***s about your feelings.

They are very matter of fact when they speak.

"Wow, you are so fat! Are you pregnant?" "No? Why you so fat?"

If you hit people like this up with the fat shaming speech, they would literally be confused, because there is zero malice in them telling you you're fat.

Big Girl Store is a clothing chain in the Philippines. Enough said.

Am tall and have big feet, and struggled to find shoes in Thailand, and Hong Kong.

"Wow, Michael Jordan!" their way of telling me am very tall and have big feet.

Staff would laugh as I would mention my shoe size. Go to the back of the store, to bring out staff like I was being shown off like a new dog: "Size 14?! US?!" I might as well have said I had a bomb in my bag.

Finally while in Thailand, I finally find one pair in my size.

If you take things seriously, don't travel.

In rural England I would get called a "bloody yank" all the time, until they would see me rollerblading: "Oi, where you from, mate?"

I would make instant friends when I told them was from Canada, which somehow explained the above average skating ability o_O

Rural Philippines, I got the "sup my n***a!" all the time.

My wife's daughters friend called me this when I was recently there, and I had to check my feelings at the door. There was zero malice. She thought I was cool, so was trying to be down with the western lingo she saw in movies. 

I gave her dap, vs lecturing her on the history of the word, again-confusing her for no reason.

11 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

This is the world I want to live in and he's brave to not give in to the PC police who try to bully and guilt him into compliance of their ultra-sensitive worldview.  Let's not take ourselves so seriously.

Yeah, sure.  I like non-PC humour too but it has to actually be funny.  I can't be at the show to hear somebody spew political opinions whether I agree or not.  I don't know if it's me, but I have to laugh at my comedy.

If you want to hear some actually funny non-PC comedy which is also provocative, check out Louis CK's Sincerely.  Pretty funny stuff and also edgy.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yeah, sure.  I like non-PC humour too but it has to actually be funny.  I can't be at the show to hear somebody spew political opinions whether I agree or not.  I don't know if it's me, but I have to laugh at my comedy.

If you want to hear some actually funny non-PC comedy which is also provocative, check out Louis CK's Sincerely.  Pretty funny stuff and also edgy.

Do you find any of his trans jokes funny?

2 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Do you find any of his trans jokes funny?

Louis CK's ?  I don't remember.   I guess that means yes, because overall it's pretty funny.  He did a full episode of his show Horace & Pete on that topic and it was pretty good.

To add: it's pretty tough to make material out of such things because it just ... lays there.  Not much to be said.  The "x identifies as y" take has been so overdone.  Chapelle just did it again in one of these clips above... Gervais... the same.

Louis does lots of jokes about child rape, which are not as funny as they are edgy - just because it's so awful a topic.  But he does a great piece in Sincerely about the R-Word which is provocative.  He's the best when he reviews how our morals change over the years - a theme that he excels at imo.

Edited by Michael Hardner

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Louis CK's ?  I don't remember.   I guess that means yes, because overall it's pretty funny.  He did a full episode of his show Horace & Pete on that topic and it was pretty good.

To add: it's pretty tough to make material out of such things because it just ... lays there.  Not much to be said.  The "x identifies as y" take has been so overdone.  Chapelle just did it again in one of these clips above... Gervais... the same.

Louis does lots of jokes about child rape, which are not as funny as they are edgy - just because it's so awful a topic.  But he does a great piece in Sincerely about the R-Word which is provocative.  He's the best when he reviews how our morals change over the years - a theme that he excels at imo.

No I meant Chapelle.

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

No I meant Chapelle.

The last special had a lot on that topic and I was bored by it so I have only seen clips from this one.  Unsurprisingly it's about him making Trans jokes, with the part added about his trans friend to make everyone feel ok about it.  I don't care if he has a trans friend or not... make some funny man.  It's a big career mistake IMO for him to focus on this topic because in 5 years nobody will care, except that he'll be the guy who jokes about that stuff.  It's a pigeonhole.

If you want edgy jokes about the gay, go for Norm MacDonald's album... or various standup jokes... 

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

political opinions

I don't understand why a political opinion is off limits in comedy.

The intention of the joke should be to make people laugh. Not ensuring you don't offend people of a certain political alignment or group. Trans people are fair game, death and other no go subjects, if the intent is comedy.

Am an artist. A true artist will not be afraid to push the boundaries of their craft. Thats how you grow.

Fear, gives you cookie cutter, bland and granola. Artists are activists at heart, so challenging the status quo comes with the territory.

As a comedian,  this means risky jokes that intended to make people laugh, but missed the mark.

Sorry, but Ricky Gervais and Bill Burr have hilarious sets on the trans community. 

I love comedians that aren't afraid to make me uncomfortable to get a laugh. Norm McDonald included.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

The last special had a lot on that topic and I was bored by it so I have only seen clips from this one.  Unsurprisingly it's about him making Trans jokes, with the part added about his trans friend to make everyone feel ok about it.  I don't care if he has a trans friend or not... make some funny man.  It's a big career mistake IMO for him to focus on this topic because in 5 years nobody will care, except that he'll be the guy who jokes about that stuff.  It's a pigeonhole.

If you want edgy jokes about the gay, go for Norm MacDonald's album... or various standup jokes... 

I think it probably makes him PO'd that people say he can't joke about a certain topic, so he keeps doing it to thumb his nose.

If you personally don't find it funny well that's just personal preference.

• Like 1