Federal Dental Insurance Care Scheme

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-dental-care-plan-benefit-1.7055975

Of course, three groups of people agree:

Dentists

Poor people

Bureaucrats

====

Dentists? Imagine a seller with a guaranteed buyer.

Poor people? Some one else pays to make me look like Tom Cruise.

Bureaucrats? I can decide who has access to this scheme.

====

1. For good reason, education and health care are provincial jurisdictions in Canada. The federal government should not be involved in dentistry.

2. Unlike the US, we Canadians do not have a federal department of urban affairs, education. We leave health (and dental) issues to the provinces. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 10:30 PM, August1991 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada-dental-care-plan-benefit-1.7055975

Of course, three groups of people agree:

Dentists

Poor people

Bureaucrats

====

Dentists? Imagine a seller with a guaranteed buyer.

Poor people? Some one else pays to make me look like Tom Cruise.

Bureaucrats? I can decide who has access to this scheme.

====

1. For good reason, education and health care are provincial jurisdictions in Canada. The federal government should not be involved in dentistry.

2. Unlike the US, we Canadians do not have a federal department of urban affairs, education. We leave health (and dental) issues to the provinces. 

1) it is dishonest to describe dental care as “making someone look like Tom Cruise” 

2) public healthcare in Canada, while provincial jurisdiction, is made possible under by the federal Canada Health Act. The proposed Dental Care program is intended to follow a similar concept, as I understand it.  

• Like 2

Another bureaucratic bonanza with a 100% or higher administration overhead to the taxpayer "for the poor people". Just go elsewhere for inexpensive, highest quality no hit and miss horror scenarios serious dental work. The well is not bottomless. The back will break at some point under the weight of the bureaucracy.

Edited by myata

5 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

1) it is dishonest to describe dental care as “making someone look like Tom Cruise” 

2) public healthcare in Canada, while provincial jurisdiction, is made possible under by the federal Canada Health Act. The proposed Dental Care program is intended to follow a similar concept, as I understand it.  

It's unfortunate that dental care wasn't rolled in with healthcare right from the get go.

Internationally, health policy analysts are often surprised that Canada’s national system of health insurance (Medicare) does not include dental care.

http://www.ncohr-rcrsb.ca/knowledge-sharing/working-paper-series/content/quinonez.pdf

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

1) Few people died because of bad teeth.

2) Agreed.

2a) Canada is a remarkable country. Bureaucrats in PEI know far more about this than bureaucrats in Ontario.  

3 hours ago, Aristides said:

My only problem with it is the fact it will be funded with debt.

My problem with it is that it is federal.

===

Health care? People in Alberta/PEI know far what to do in their local situation.

Foreign affairs, army?  I agree that we should all pay.

============

We Canadians have a wonderful federal society.  

14 minutes ago, August1991 said:

My problem with it is that it is federal.

===

Health care? People in Alberta/PEI know far what to do in their local situation.

Foreign affairs, army?  I agree that we should all pay.

============

We Canadians have a wonderful federal society.  

The Canada Health Act establishes minimum standards, provinces are free to add if they want.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The Canada Health Act establishes minimum standards, provinces are free to add if they want.

I disagree with this entire concept: Health care in PEI and Alberta are not the same.

Each province should be free to organise its own affairs.

So the idea of minimum federal standards for teeth care? Insane.

=====

But I like the idea of transborting: if you work in Denmark/Alberta for five years and pay into the pension scheme, you should be able to transfer these years over to the Quebec system.

5 minutes ago, August1991 said:

I disagree with this entire concept: Health care in PEI and Alberta are not the same.

Each province should be free to organise its own affairs.

So the idea of minimum federal standards for teeth care? Insane.

=====

But I like the idea of transborting: if you work in Denmark/Alberta for five years and pay into the pension scheme, you should be able to transfer these years over to the Quebec system.

So you think every province should have its own separate arrangement with every country.

Edited by Aristides

16 hours ago, August1991 said:

I think that each government in each province should organise education and health affairs as the people in the province wish.

====

We live in a federal state.

That doesn't answer my question. If you want health care to be solely the prevue of provinces, each one would have to negotiate portability agreements with other countries and provinces on their own. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:51 PM, eyeball said:

t's unfortunate that dental care wasn't rolled in with healthcare right from the get go.

In the days before insurance lobbyists and Americanized 'why should I pay for yours' whiners took over.

As a senior who has to buy private dental insurance only to discover it barely pays for what the plans cost, I'm disgusted. Can't wait until May when I can register.

On 12/16/2023 at 3:31 PM, Aristides said:

That doesn't answer my question. If you want health care to be solely the prevue of provinces, each one would have to negotiate portability agreements with other countries and provinces on their own. 

So, you want a world-wide State-portable dental agreement?

European Bureaucrats/American Lawyers would love to have that.

As well as dentists, and poor people 

On 12/16/2023 at 5:13 PM, herbie said:

In the days before insurance lobbyists and Americanized 'why should I pay for yours' whiners took over.

As a senior who has to buy private dental insurance only to discover it barely pays for what the plans cost, I'm disgusted. Can't wait until May when I can register.

You should have taken care of your teeth. You've had lots of time.

====

I understand (sort of) the logic of paying for the teeth of poor kids.

Paying for old people's dental care?  I disagree.

The federal government should give this $13 billion to each provincial government, and let them decide how to spend the money - how to organise health care, dentistry.  I'm sure PEI will organise things differently than Manitoba.

$13 billion. A billion here and a billion there, soon you are talking of real money.

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

So, you want a world-wide State-portable dental agreement?

European Bureaucrats/American Lawyers would love to have that.

As well as dentists, and poor people 

I never said that, you were the one who brought it up.

7 hours ago, Aristides said:

I never said that, you were the one who brought it up.

You did say that.

You want a federal system because, in your view, central bureaucrats can negotiate better terms.

====

I prefer a federal system because local bureaucrats know better, are free to go about their business.

Edited by August1991

As to "transborting" (transferring pension years between countries), I both entirely agree - and disagree.

I am happy that someone who works in Denmark and then in Canada can easily cross borders.

I am happy that people who have worked in Canada and in Denmark can count years in both countries toward a pension.

====

My problem: Why is the State involved? Why not give the person a PV of the future pension?

CTV just reported doctors on the news saying that the healthcare system is in a very unsatisfactory condition.  There are terrible staff shortages and long waiting times.  This is not acceptable.  Yet the Liberals and NDP are pushing ahead with a dental care plan while they don't even fund the health care system adequately and can't seem to manage it effectively.

A man just died because he required urgent heart surgery and it would have been two more weeks before he could get it.  That is just one example of thousands of disasters going on.

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1