The basis for many of our societal problems is absent fathers

Now you can make the argument this isn't exactly politics. But the problems that it gives rise to are always discussed in political terms, including crime, poverty, racism, and inequality. yet when those subjects are discussed virtually no one ever dares to mention the big fat elephant in the room. In the US, the most economically successful communities are those with the fewest single mothers. The most crime-ridden communities are those with the most single mothers. And yet this rarely seems to be mentioned whenever the news carries articles or stories about poverty, crime, or inequality.

The statistics, though, are pretty stark.

1. Poverty - Children in father-absent homes are almost four times more likely to be poor.

2. Drug and alcohol abuse - The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states, “Fatherless children are at a dramatically greater risk of drug and alcohol abuse.”

3. Physical and Emotional Health - children living with married biological parents had significantly fewer behavioral problems than children living with at least one non-biological parent. Children of single-parent homes are more than twice as likely to commit suicide, and children born to single mothers show higher levels of aggressive behavior than children born to married mothers.

4. Educational Achievement - Children living with their married biological father tested at a significantly higher level than those living with a non-biological father. A father's involvement in school means more A's, and 71% of high school dropouts are fatherless.

5. Crime - Adolescents living in intact families are less likely to engage in delinquency than their peers living in non-intact families.

6. Sexual Activity and Teen Pregnancy - adolescents in father-absence homes were more likely to report being sexually active compared to adolescents living with their fathers. Also, being raised by a single mother raises the risk of teen pregnancy, marrying with less than a high school degree, and forming a marriage where both partners have less than a high school degree.

https://kenhiebert.substack.com/p/the-real-systemic-problem-in-north?r=15ke9e&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

• Like 2

One has to wonder if the chicken or egg comes first in this case.  Does poverty lead to the high single parent rate or does single parenting lead to poverty.

There's no doubt tho that it's a major issue. And it's not hard to see why. You'd think that the anti poverty groups would be more focused on that.

• Like 2

Disagree. Strongly.

My father grew up among women. As many kids at the time, my father lost his father because of influenza.

Penicillin was not known in the 1920s.

=====

IMHO, this whole mom-dad-2.4 kids theory of successful society, no abortion...

Many children are raised well by two women.

Edited by August1991

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

Disagree. Strongly.

My father grew up among women. As many kids at the time, my father lost his father because of influenza.

=====

This, of course, assumes that you turned out ok.  ?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

This, of course, assumes that you turned out ok.  ?

No joke, don't laugh. I am old.

I have spoken to women who were raped in Germany, raised the child with their mother but could not find a good father.

====

There is a book "China to Me", by Emily Hahn. I recommend you read it. She explains better my opinion.

1 minute ago, August1991 said:

No joke, don't laugh. I am old.

I have spoken to women who were raped in Germany, raised the child with their mother but could not find a good father.

====

There is a book "China to Me", by Emily Hahn. I recommend you read it. She explains better my opinion.

There are always exceptions, but statistics are generalized.  Back when you were a kid one parent could raise an entire family on one middle class income and afford to own a house, car etc.  This is not possible today, hence why many single parents raise their kids in poverty.

8 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

There are always exceptions, but statistics are generalized.  Back when you were a kid one parent could raise an entire family on one middle class income...

Back when I was a kid?

MG, you and I live in different worlds.

====

With luck, you will know nothing of my world.

Edited by August1991

8 hours ago, CdnFox said:

One has to wonder if the chicken or egg comes first in this case.  Does poverty lead to the high single parent rate or does single parenting lead to poverty.

There's no doubt tho that it's a major issue. And it's not hard to see why. You'd think that the anti poverty groups would be more focused on that.

I'm a fan of Thomas Sowell. He makes the case that since the number of black single-parent families exploded during the more enlightened time of the 1960s and 1970s (as opposed to earlier), that the cause is more closely related to the liberal welfare state than poverty. In the 1950s, a single girl who got pregnant faced a disaster. She had to find a way to get rid of it or face broad community censure and possibly even starvation if her parents wouldn't support them. With the advent of welfare policies she just had to apply to the government for a house and allowance. 

And once established it's difficult to eliminate. Because when a 15-16-17 year old girl has a baby and raises it largely alone, that child probably doesn't grow up with much going for it, including a parent's devotion to education and discipline. This becomes self-perpetuating, with young women raising kids, who were themselves raised by young, single mothers. And young boys, who never had a father, not feeling any particular sense of responsibility to their kids.

As for anti-poverty groups. They'll never deal with it. They can't. They're fundamentally opposed to what they call 'victim blaming'.  Which is also why you don't see government types trying to convince the black or indigenous communities to deal with this. After all, their problems are all our fault. They're all due to racism. So how can we suggest they do anything about them?

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree. Strongly.

You don't get to disagree about this, Crazyman

8 hours ago, August1991 said:

How many are 'many'? The statistics are as clear as they can be. The ideal home in which to raise children consists of one man and one woman. That way children get the influence and understanding of both sexes, not merely one. No one is suggesting there aren't kids raised by one parent or one gender who don't grow up to be happy and well-adjusted. 

But the odds of that are diminished.

Edited by I am Groot

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree. Strongly.

=====

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. The report is about single moms and fatherless. Not 2  women raising kids.

The report is very American.

The American societal issue is basically a black problem.  If we suffer the same issues it will be primarily in the indigenous communities. A societal issue.

26 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Not sure what you are disagreeing with. The report is about single moms and fatherless. Not 2  women raising kids.

The report is very American.

The American societal issue is basically a black problem.  If we suffer the same issues it will be primarily in the indigenous communities. A societal issue.

Welcome to Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society".

The main springboard for much of our poverty and inner city crime issues.

This act lead to the baby making business, the destruction of the family via the normalization of divorce, the "Me Generation", the decay of standard Western morality. All replaced by a vain attempt to substitute these "comfort zones" with drugs and the pursuit of personal gratification and pleasure. Fathers replaced by gang-bangers as male influence, Crack and a host of other drugs, a quest for power and notoriety via gun violence, and the list goes on and on.

Indeed...the Democrat Party never really did do this about face they claim to have in the late 50's. All they did was realize blatant racism would not be tolerated by the public anymore, so they substituted that for this aberration. Make them dependant and teach them really bad morality and watch them rot.

Hatred has never left the Democrats. They just disguised it as compassion and let the rest take care of itself.

And as we see...it most certainly did.

41 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Welcome to Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society".

The main springboard for much of our poverty and inner city crime issues.

This act lead to the baby making business, the destruction of the family via the normalization of divorce, the "Me Generation", the decay of standard Western morality. All replaced by a vain attempt to substitute these "comfort zones" with drugs and the pursuit of personal gratification and pleasure. Fathers replaced by gang-bangers as male influence, Crack and a host of other drugs, a quest for power and notoriety via gun violence, and the list goes on and on.

Indeed...the Democrat Party never really did do this about face they claim to have in the late 50's. All they did was realize blatant racism would not be tolerated by the public anymore, so they substituted that for this aberration. Make them dependant and teach them really bad morality and watch them rot.

Hatred has never left the Democrats. They just disguised it as compassion and let the rest take care of itself.

And as we see...it most certainly did.

Stop making this a political thing. It is pure societal.

The black and indigenous women are the subservient to their men. They do what they are told and hence, become sexual outlets and the men walk away.

There is no normalization of divorce as there is no marriage, just sex.

Nothing to do with political parties as in the US, both have  in power and nothing has changed under each of them, just like here in Canada, no political party has done a thing to change this.

The OP seems to quote some blog and as such is suspect.   Shit sources are a Chud thing, a we all know, so let's give some red meat (Read ?  Meet !)... to look at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904543/

The conclusions align, so don't be afraid of academia folks... But the conclusion in the subject line of the thread is much harder to prove, akin to climate change activists predicting social disaster.  The more complex the causal chain, the less certain your predictions should be.  Enjoy...

We find strong evidence that father absence negatively affects children’s social-emotional development, particularly by increasing externalizing behavior. These effects may be more pronounced if father absence occurs during early childhood than during middle childhood, and they may be more pronounced for boys than for girls. There is weaker evidence of an effect of father absence on children’s cognitive ability.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Stop making this a political thing. It is pure societal.

The black and indigenous women are the subservient to their men. They do what they are told and hence, become sexual outlets and the men walk away.

There is no normalization of divorce as there is no marriage, just sex.

Nothing to do with political parties as in the US, both have  in power and nothing has changed under each of them, just like here in Canada, no political party has done a thing to change this.

I have to partially disagree.

Prior to the 1960s, all women were subservient to men. But it was not normal for women to be mere "sexual outlets" as social morality frowned upon it.

Prior to the 1960s, sex out of wedlock was frowned upon publicly. Afterwards it was encouraged.

Prior to the 1960s, divorce was frowned upon. Afterwards it was normalized and accepted.

But you do have a point about the political aspect. None of them did anything to turn the tides. Yet we can see where this decay of society began and who ushered it in.

21 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I have to partially disagree.

Prior to the 1960s, all women were subservient to men. But it was not normal for women to be mere "sexual outlets" as social morality frowned upon it.

Prior to the 1960s, sex out of wedlock was frowned upon publicly. Afterwards it was encouraged.

Prior to the 1960s, divorce was frowned upon. Afterwards it was normalized and accepted.

But you do have a point about the political aspect. None of them did anything to turn the tides. Yet we can see where this decay of society began and who ushered it in.

I am talking about a segment of society where men still enslave or use women and keep women subservient.

I hate to say it but that is the black and indigenous society. Blacks around the world men use as sex toys and move on and as we can see with our indigenous, single mothers are not an unusual occurrence.

Be they black women in Africa or inner city New York, they get boinked and the guys move on to the next. I blame not just the men but the women too.

15 hours ago, August1991 said:

No doubt about it, or two men.

Your numbers dwindle when you're talking broken families and single mothers trying to raise kids in such an environment. 

My dad was a deadbeat, and it caused me to seek love in the wrong circles.

Only thing that kept me from fully going on the wrong route was my mothers love and tenacity. I was one of the few with something to lose.

All my friends who didn't have a strong and supportive backing, failed heavily in life before they could pick themselves back up.

A lot of my mistakes made, could have been prevented by a male role model.

I learned everything the hard way  through experience.

My anger issues, getting suspended for fighting. Expelled. All due to having a s*** father.

The serious trust issues. All could have been prevented.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

I am talking about a segment of society where men still enslave or use women and keep women subservient.

I hate to say it but that is the black and indigenous society. Blacks around the world men use as sex toys and move on and as we can see with our indigenous, single mothers are not an unusual occurrence.

Be they black women in Africa or inner city New York, they get boinked and the guys move on to the next. I blame not just the men but the women too.

You have some good points. But as we've experienced, social norms can be adjusted. Its our task to choose the CORRECT direction for adjustment. That may be a painful experience for some of our more...liberal minded compatriots.

9 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

You have some good points. But as we've experienced, social norms can be adjusted. Its our task to choose the CORRECT direction for adjustment. That may be a painful experience for some of our more...liberal minded compatriots.

I disagree.

Social norms have not been adjusted in that in my lifetime (which is quite long LOL) the segment of society we are talking about has not improved, changed or gotten better. If anything, single parenthood in the black and indigenous community has gotten far worse.

In the indigenous community, parenting by grandparents has been the norm for many many decades.

Again, by saying "liberal minded compatriots" you are making this a political thing and but is not. Conservative governments, federal and provincial have also done nothing. Really, what can any government do about the sexual activity of any segment of society.

14 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

I disagree.

Social norms have not been adjusted in that in my lifetime (which is quite long LOL) the segment of society we are talking about has not improved, changed or gotten better. If anything, single parenthood in the black and indigenous community has gotten far worse.

In the indigenous community, parenting by grandparents has been the norm for many many decades.

Again, by saying "liberal minded compatriots" you are making this a political thing and but is not. Conservative governments, federal and provincial have also done nothing. Really, what can any government do about the sexual activity of any segment of society.

Yet it would take real strong political will to correct our society's current trajectory. It would also take the acceptance and propagation of any social changes by the MSM...so their buy-in is essential.

Remember...only about 25% of humans are "alpha" and can lead. The rest are followers.

This path we're on is not gonna end well. We have to change course and we have to do it soon before its too late...which it might already be.

I agree that all politicians to date have allowed the easy way out...but that's why we now need strong willed leaders who can say "No" to inherent destructive ideas.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The OP seems to quote some blog and as such is suspect.   Shit sources are a Chud thing, a we all know, so let's give some red meat (Read ?  Meet !)... to look at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3904543/

The conclusions align, so don't be afraid of academia folks...

So your complaint about the source is just more of the pointless sneering you do so much these days and serves no actual purpose but as a lame attempt to insult me and put in your new favorite pejorative term for those who disagree with your extreme left social views. Right?

But the conclusion in the subject line of the thread is much harder to prove, akin to climate change activists predicting social disaster.  

I don't think it's that difficult to make the connection between the statistic showing what happens to fatherless children and the crime and poverty that result.

The OP seems to quote some blog and as such is suspect.   Shit sources are a Chud thing,

So that would make you a chud. You complain about the source then prove the source was right, thus proving it was not a shit source after all. Which means you are the shit source when it comes to which sources are shit.

Which means you just shit yourself chud boy ?

Once again the left has to try to dehumanize anyone they disagree with - even when they agree with them but they don't like it :)

53 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Let's start by admitting it is happening. Because until you recognize a problem you have no hope of solving it.

What can be done? I don't know. I'm not a social expert, but how about native elders, male and female touring the country and going into schools on or next to reservations, talking to young adolescent boys and girls, telling them how their future will be impacted, handing out birth control, talking about the way to success (by not having babies early). How about having similar people go into schools with high numbers of black kids to talk specifically to them? How about empowering and helping fund local community leaders, activists, and influencers to help out? 

57 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Actually parties could do a lot in this respect.  Just as they did for smoking for example. Education, access to cheap birth control, Encouraging icons to promote smart safe sex (no glove no love :) )

I  believe bc just made birth control pills free for everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/free-contraception-bc-explained-1.6764286

The gov'ts (regardless of poltical stripe) could do a lot. And honestly you'd think it would be cross- party considering it cuts down on poverty AND on abortions,  But - probably both will hate it :) 

2 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Let's start by admitting it is happening. Because until you recognize a problem you have no hope of solving it.

What can be done? I don't know. I'm not a social expert, but how about native elders, male and female touring the country and going into schools on or next to reservations, talking to young adolescent boys and girls, telling them how their future will be impacted, handing out birth control, talking about the way to success (by not having babies early). How about having similar people go into schools with high numbers of black kids to talk specifically to them? How about empowering and helping fund local community leaders, activists, and influencers to help out? 

Who said it was not happening??

The "scared straight" strategy has not worked so what makes you think it will work in schools?

Single mothers are not making their daughters think about the consequences and no one is going to say or do anything about guys looking for and getting some booty.

We already have social workers, community leaders et al and nothing changes. The whole thing seems ingrained in their culture.

4 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Actually parties could do a lot in this respect.  Just as they did for smoking for example. Education, access to cheap birth control, Encouraging icons to promote smart safe sex (no glove no love :) )

I  believe bc just made birth control pills free for everyone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/free-contraception-bc-explained-1.6764286

The gov'ts (regardless of poltical stripe) could do a lot. And honestly you'd think it would be cross- party considering it cuts down on poverty AND on abortions,  But - probably both will hate it :) 

My point was no government of any party has done anything.