US Political Terms: Leftists

August1991

• 1 month later...

One of the issues I was prepared to listen to Republicans on was spending and the debt. These days, most US Republican pols are down with high spending but would still like to cut taxes. How’s that gonna work exactly? There are fans of Putin in the party too. And then they have the gall to talk about Leftists. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

One of the issues I was prepared to listen to Republicans on was spending and the debt. These days, most US Republican pols are down with high spending but would still like to cut taxes. How’s that gonna work exactly? There are fans of Putin in the party too. And then they have the gall to talk about Leftists. 

Putin Fan??? Elaborate please.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 5:18 PM, herbie said:

The 'leftist' term is utterly meaningless spoken byt an American when you consider that the American political outlook is skewed so far to the right that Bernie Sanders would be considered a somewhat right of center candidate anywhere else in the world.

The fact of the economy is that the cost of producing things declines as technology accelerates.

The benefits of this effect would naturally accrue to the general population if it wasn't for gatekeeping aspects of power. That is, the powerful will use their influence to try to collect more of the benefits from technological and social change.

The left originally meant those who mitigate power, but in the US you've got party ostensibly to the left that really focuses on identity politics more.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 3:11 AM, Michael Hardner said:

US you've got party ostensibly to the left that really focuses on identity politics more.

The US has no left party.  The only party I hear identity politics from is Republicans setting their hair on fire over bathroom use, and silly crap like that.  Maybe I’m not paying enough attention to Biden?  What’s he saying, other than people should be treated the same regardless of their gender, orientation, colour, etc?

Was it identity politics to give women the vote?  Should they not have done that because it upsets conservatives “

Edited by TreeBeard
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

1. The US has no left party.  

2. The only party I hear identity politics from is Republicans setting their hair on fire over bathroom use, and silly crap like that.  Maybe I’m not paying enough attention to Biden?  What’s he saying, other than people should be treated the same regardless of their gender, orientation, colour, etc?

3. Was it identity politics to give women the vote?  Should they not have done that because it upsets conservatives “

1. That's why I said ostensibly.

2. I'm talking about their proponents, such as online types. Biden is a Johnson era type so he does care about working people more.

3. Yes it was.  Of course it should have been done. 

17 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

1. Online types?  So some far left social justice warriors who yap online but hold no real political power?

2. Uninteresting.  

1. They must have some influence.  I think that they probably do.

2. Fair.  I think that the interesting part is that there's a leftist kernel to this populism.

22 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

The US has no left party.  The only party I hear identity politics from is Republicans setting their hair on fire over bathroom use, and silly crap like that.  Maybe I’m not paying enough attention to Biden?  What’s he saying, other than people should be treated the same regardless of their gender, orientation, colour, etc?

Was it identity politics to give women the vote?  Should they not have done that because it upsets conservatives “

15 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I’m interested in discussion, not to watching silly YouTube videos as a response. 

Hear hear.

I will rephrase my statement to say that the Democratic Party focuses on identity politics and advancing progressive legislation more than the Republican Party does.  As such, this aspect of the party has become identified as a differentiation point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I’m interested in discussion, not to watching silly YouTube videos as a response. 

You are talking about identity politics are you not. The silly (as you say) video shows how the pendulum has reversed direction. The terms therein relate.

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So you are proving that Treebeard is right, that the Republicans care more but identity politics?

Not at all. Just showing that identity politics is being challenged by people from all walks of life.

Just ask Anheuser-Busch.

On 11/20/2023 at 6:49 PM, SpankyMcFarland said:

I'm pretty sure the Republicans that admire Putin do so because they recognize a hard-boiled kindred spirit when they see one.  Putin is about as progressive as an Ayatollah and probably just as rich.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2023 at 11:26 PM, eyeball said:

I'm pretty sure the Republicans that admire Putin do so because they recognize a hard-boiled kindred spirit when they see one.  Putin is about as progressive as an Ayatollah and probably just as rich.

And this is just one more reason why you Libbies fail with a staggering regularity. You lie as a matter of course.

Who in this site do you figure "admires" Putin and why? Remember...we're speaking of "admiration" not realistic expectations.

Now...g'head g'head...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2023 at 11:52 AM, Nationalist said:

IMO...this is the true "political spectrum". A circle with the most undesirable extremities at the bottom. Both producing a dictatorship.

image.thumb.png.45ec8ca5b574861da4bc47060728f464.png

Isn't it true that both communism and fascism reject free markets in exchange for an economy wholly managed and dictated to by the government?  It seems to me that communism and fascism are ideological branches of the same tree.

The word "fascist" has become a pejorative to smear another and is often used against pro-free market individuals.  Donald Trump was arguably the biggest free market capitalist to EVER be a U.S. president and he was incorrectly smeared as a "fascist".

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 5:18 PM, herbie said:

the American political outlook is skewed so far to the right

The American government believes that people can change their sex and that men can become "birthing persons" and you think the U.S. has moved to the right?