Leftist brethren, if you would've known "sunny ways" would've meant struggling to make your mortgage payment, or purchase groceries due to Trudeau's policy, would you have voted for him still?

West

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the pagan religion was utterly savage by our standards, literally satanic

Christianity being the entire basis of our civilization

what we think of as good ; is Christian

what we think of as evil;  is pagan

the Roman pagans make the Nazis look like humanitarians

enslaving the weak and murdering them by heinous means was the rule of the pagan gods

what the Nazis did for ideology, the pagans did for entertainment & sport

paganism was like the Holocaust, all day every day, in every corner of the Empire

Christian in past centuries had the values of those centuries they did not have your modern 21st century values.   If you could travel back in time to meet you medieval Christian ancestors they would probably have you raped, enslaved and then burned at the stake simply because of your some slight difference in your actions or speech that they perceived as heresy or the devil’s work.   Pagans OTOH accepted that different people worship different gods in different ways and as long as you steer clear of some important taboos there was no such thing as a heretic. 

There are probably ev more people throughout history who could say that what they think of as god is pagan and what they think of as evil is Christian. Except you miss the hilariously obvious point that the Nazis and the actual holocaust was carried out by actual Christians 

Plus don’t gloss over all that transatlantic slave trade and genocide of indigenous peoples stuff your dear Christians did either, Protestant and Catholic alike.  Humans are humans in every religion  always capable of the most unspeakable evil and always with holy men to legitimize their deeds as ordained by the deity of the moment. 

Edited by BeaverFever

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Interest rates did not change radically or even that much - the interest rates in 2008 for mortgages were only slightly higher than in 2017

What are you talking about interest rates and mortgage were WAY HIGHER in 2008 than later years much less 2017. Rates rook a nose dive in 2009 and depending on the specific rate and date they were easily 2% or 3% lower for most of the next decade   And it’s not just the loe rate that feeds demand but a PERSISTENT low rate, which fuels speculation and people buying “investment properties”. Inflation isn’t just about today’s prices it’s also about what consumers expect for tomorrow’s prices and next year’s prices.  One of the reasons that the recent rate hikes weren’t as effective as intended is because consumers continued to expect things would soon improve, and that the interest rates would go back down and so they didn’t slow down their spending which continued to fuel inflation. 

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Further - the prices in 2023 are still higher than the prices were last time we saw interest rates that high by a HUGE amount.

Yeah we’ve seen especially in the GTA prices don’t really go down much when the market slows, home owners don’t sell during those market pauses if they have a choice, and will instead just wait until the next feeding frenzy. 

I’m not denying that supply is an issue I’m denying that immigration is the issue. I think you underestimate the importance of low interest rates in this equation. HC also says it expects housing prices to decline despite lower supply due to rate increases   

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/blog/2023/lower-house-prices-less-supply-projected-2023

This is going to be a crap tonne to read - sorry in advance but this is just too complex to explain simply in a few lines. But  you'll learn something if you get through it. So bear with it.

8 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

What are you talking about interest rates and mortgage were WAY HIGHER in 2008 than later years much less 2017. Rates rook a nose dive in 2009 and depending on the specific rate and date they were easily 2% or 3% lower for most of the next decade  

End of 2008 they dove (recession).  And they weren't  "WAAAAAAY" higher at all :)  They were around 4 precent in beginning 2008 - then fell to 3 roughly mid 2008 Then fell at the end to basically nothing for a while. Then back up to about 2 for a bit.

So - not actually a big change at all. over a period of years up and down a couple of percent? That's nothing.

And for most of those years they only fluctuated a point or so - and went up AND down - yet housing prices continued to go up.

You realize you just proved my point :)

Interest rates went up and down during that time but were more or less the same within a few points - yet housing prices just continued to soar regardless.

Lets compare the charts and see if we can see a similar pattern ?

Interest rates:

image.thumb.png.bca27ef5a74a0e7f39f98e1b2df86cc7.png

And housing prices:

image.thumb.png.47524123b6b71d4a1da0d247313961f7.png

OHHH LOOK!!  HOUSING PRICES WENT UP AT ABOUT THE SAME RATE NO MATTER WHETHER THE INTEREST RATES WERE HIGH OR LOW!!!! IMAGINE THAT :)   :)  

So - lets put the whole interest rate argument to bed.  It's not a significant factor.

Lets say that again - interest rates are NOT a significant issue.   The primary issue is supply ,  If we had enough homes for our population, there would not be a problem.

I’m not denying that supply is an issue I’m denying that immigration is the issue

Well the two are intertwined. Our population is growing faster than we're building homes and that's been the case for decades now.  I would argue that the problem first began in 2000, but was still pretty mild and there was enough product on the market so nobody really noticed. It got worse over time but the recession created a bit of a dip so it seemed ok - but shortly after that prices started to climb again.

And at a steady rate - just like our rate of immigration is pretty steady.  And look where it bounces again - gets a little bit steeper just around 2015 when we started to bring in slightly more immigrants. Fun fact the number of homes we build increased at a slightly slower rate.

So in one respect yes - it's entirely the immigrants. When covid hit and immigrants couldn't come for a short while the rental prices PLUMMETED - then picked right back up when the border's started to open again. Or more accuately it's population growth beyond our ability to sustain but right now that really is immigration, we don't have enough babies to replace ourselves.

Now - the REAL problem isn't immigrants if we're being honest. THe real problem is we're not building enough homes. And the way our systems are designed that will always be the case unless other changes are made.

But - INCREASING immigration makes the problem substantially worse! And now that builders are actually putting projects on hold that's going to get worse - and trudeau is increasing immigration AGAIN!

It also puts strains on our medical systems which have never been in worse shape becasue we're not expanding them fast enough to match population either.

And higher population means more people buying the goods in short supply which means... wait for it... MORE inflation.

So increases in housing costs are almost 100 percent immigrant driven (short term) and a lot of the other excess buying power comes from that as well.

If trudeau stopped immigraiton tomorrow - within a month rental prices would crash and housing prices would fall - in the short term (a few years at best.)  There's two or three years of production still in the pipeline so things would get better for that time.

The long term solutions is to make it worth while for builders to bulid more than we need today instead of less than we need, and there's ways to do that - not easy but doable.

And in the short term scotiabank says if they cut spending they could wipe out inflation and if they cut immigration back a lot (not end it) then that would put the breaks on housing increases and drop rents and we'd have the years we need to fix the problem. Not many - but enough if we move quick.

By increasing spending and immigration - trudeau radically increases inflation and interest rates (basically it's the same thing - =one is going up to keep the other down)

So - long winded but i hope you see the issues now. It's not that 'immigrants' are  a problem per se, it's that we need to build enough to accomodate them and we're not but until we do bringing in MOAR immigrants makes our problmes much worse.

14 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the pagan religion was utterly savage by our standards, literally satanic

Christianity being the entire basis of our civilization

what we think of as good ; is Christian

what we think of as evil;  is pagan

the Roman pagans make the Nazis look like humanitarians

enslaving the weak and murdering them by heinous means was the rule of the pagan gods

what the Nazis did for ideology, the pagans did for entertainment & sport

paganism was like the Holocaust, all day every day, in every corner of the Empire

As a pagan I find your comparison to the Holocaust offensive.

We're not all into ritual sacrifice and death sports (apart from rugby of course). Some of us just want to worship the mountains, the rivers the trees and the fauna. All things bright and beautiful you might say.

So we had a few slaves in the past, who didn't? 

8 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

As a pagan I find your comparison to the Holocaust offensive.

We're not all into ritual sacrifice and death sports (apart from rugby of course). Some of us just want to worship the mountains, the rivers the trees and the fauna. All things bright and beautiful you might say.

So we had a few slaves in the past, who didn't?

your heathen savagery against the Protestant Enlightenment only empowers the Chinese Communists in Beijing

whom have total disregard for inalienable rights, the rule of law, the natural environment & human life itself

thanks, Kim Philby

but I will stand with His Majesty The King  : devout Christian, defender of the faith

Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

your heathen savagery against the Protestant Enlightenment only empowers the Chinese Communists in Beijing

whom have total disregard for inalienable rights, the rule of law, the natural environment & human life itself

thanks, Kim Philby

but I will stand with His Majesty The King  : devout Christian, defender of the faith

Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti

Your imaginary friend doesn't have any clout with the chinese. 

If you and your canada-hating disgusting lack of moral values are an indication of christianity today - i'll take the pagans pls.

• Like 2

Just now, CdnFox said:

Your imaginary friend doesn't have any clout with the chinese. 

If you and your canada-hating disgusting lack of moral values are an indication of christianity today - i'll take the pagans pls.

Canada has no moral values

Canada is a godless atheist far left wing lunatic asylum selling itself down the river to Chinese Communist totalitarianism

13 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well you certainly don't, and you're in canada, so you must be at least PARTIALLY correct :)

Is that why you hope jesus is real? You're desperate for someone to forgive you for the kind of person you are?

nobody takes anything Canada says seriously

Canada is reduced to an international laughing stock

and Canadians well know it

37 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada has no moral values

Canada is a godless atheist far left wing lunatic asylum selling itself down the river to Chinese Communist totalitarianism

Canada has moral values, it was going to imprison torturers and murderers Matchee and Brown, not like you that defends and hero worships them.

I think it is that you lacks moral values.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:29 AM, Boges said:

I thought the Bank of Canada was independent of the PMO. 

Pretty much there is nobody that is independent from the dictator in Ottawa. We are all still his political prisoners to kick around as he pleases. This is the dictator's country, and not our country. We all must bend the knee to this farce of a leader in Ottawa. ?

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

the Canadian chain of command ordered them to do it

the Airborne Regiment was ordered to torture prisoners by their own commanders

As established in Nuremberg, “following orders” gives no protection for war crimes. There is a duty to disobey such illegal orders. 

Also there were no orders specifically to brutally and sadistically torture that youth to death for hours 

Edited by BeaverFever
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

That's no excuse. Soldiers are also under orders to not follow orders to torture prisoners are they not?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 11:29 PM, BeaverFever said:

I’m not denying that supply is an issue I’m denying that immigration is the issue. I think you underestimate the importance of low interest rates in this equation. HC also says it expects housing prices to decline despite lower supply due to rate increases   

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/blog/2023/lower-house-prices-less-supply-projected-2023

I get it CMHC are suppose to be the experts, but i have a hard time understanding how they came to predict a lowering of prices...

We are in a free market, homes of every type are in high demand...demand sets the price and this nation continues to bring in more people than we have homes, it has gotten to the point where those in areas that homes are million plus are selling , and moving , while still working from home, adding to the crises, driving up prices in areas not normally effected by home prices in large cities...I'm not talking about a few thousand, but homes here in NB have double and tripled in Value in the last 3 to 4 years.. what used to be consider expensive 350 to 400 k homes are now going for 6 to 700 K  and they are not high end but rather regular homes... are they going to go down in prices, not for a while not while there is still money to be made...Although Building materials have come down in price, building a new home is no less cheap...a very large portion of NBers' are now priced out of buying a new home...even mobile trailers which before pandemic were on the top end of 250K now those prices are bottom end...with the top end about 400K.

And if there is a massive correction, banks will collapse, and people will flood the tent cities we already have...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That's no excuse. Soldiers are also under orders to not follow orders to torture prisoners are they not?

The Laws are very clear, no abuse of any POW, no physical, no verbal abuse, and defiantly no killing / torture of unarmed POWS...It is easy for us here and now to denounce any actions such as these as criminal...But we are not exposed to the horrors of war, over long periods of time....where what seems outrageous in our world is not or could be considered as normal as eating a meal in some instances...

Do you think those soldiers that liberated NAZI death camps, that shot and brutally killed SS guards, would follow under the same statement...of no excuse...what about Capt Semeau, charged with murder , for killing a wounded Taliban terrorist that was literally cut in half by a A-10 and was in massive amounts of pain...with perhaps minutes to live...to end his suffering he shot the POW in the head...Have you read Omar Kadar story, they were going to kill him an unarmed POW that was wounded, his speaking English changed all of that...all are illegal actions according to law...but those laws become blurry after prolonged exposure to combat...Not all people react the same way to combat exposure, most will have nightmares and dream about it constantly becasue we have been taught it is wrong to kill , others will thrive in it, but most after prolong exposure will become cold towards death, don't care one way or another if they get killed, or feel nothing after killing...laws and rules have very little consequence.

I'm not saying these two individuals are not guilty of any charges they had...just offering another perspective from the other side of the fence...

6 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

I'm not saying these two individuals are not guilty of any charges they had...just offering another perspective from the other side of the fence..

I get what you're saying, I'm just glad we keep our funding down so much we can't afford to send people into circumstances that could turn them into torturers and murderers.

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

I get it CMHC are suppose to be the experts, but i have a hard time understanding how they came to predict a lowering of prices...

They're not really experts. They're an insurance company. Generally speaking the realtors are the experts. And sometimes even they need to correct themsevles

https://globalnews.ca/news/9618932/canada-real-estate-prices-forecast-2023/

In its latest forecast released Thursday, Royal LePage adjusted its price forecast for 2023 given stronger-than-expected demand and limited supply.

The brokerage now predicts that national home prices will rise 4.5 per cent year-over-year by the end of 2023 instead of dropping one per cent in 2023, as it had predicted in December.

Royal LePage CEO Phil Soper told Global News that high employment and low supply contributed to the change in the forecast.

6 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Also there were no orders specifically to brutally and sadistically torture that youth to death for hours 

but the troops were illegally administered an experimental drug by the Government of Canada

which was known to cause hyper paranoia and hyper aggression

12 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

7 hours ago, Army Guy said:

The Laws are very clear, no abuse of any POW, no physical, no verbal abuse, and defiantly no killing / torture of unarmed POWS...It is easy for us here and now to denounce any actions such as these as criminal...But we are not exposed to the horrors of war, over long periods of time....where what seems outrageous in our world is not or could be considered as normal as eating a meal in some instances...

Do you think those soldiers that liberated NAZI death camps, that shot and brutally killed SS guards, would follow under the same statement...of no excuse...what about Capt Semeau, charged with murder , for killing a wounded Taliban terrorist that was literally cut in half by a A-10 and was in massive amounts of pain...with perhaps minutes to live...to end his suffering he shot the POW in the head...Have you read Omar Kadar story, they were going to kill him an unarmed POW that was wounded, his speaking English changed all of that...all are illegal actions according to law...but those laws become blurry after prolonged exposure to combat...Not all people react the same way to combat exposure, most will have nightmares and dream about it constantly becasue we have been taught it is wrong to kill , others will thrive in it, but most after prolong exposure will become cold towards death, don't care one way or another if they get killed, or feel nothing after killing...laws and rules have very little consequence.

I'm not saying these two individuals are not guilty of any charges they had...just offering another perspective from the other side of the fence...

I get what you are saying.

The thing is though, the law is a the law.

The 2 individuals did wrong, very wrong and the constant defence and hero worship of them is equally as wrong, especially if claiming to be a christian.

6 hours ago, CdnFox said:

They're not really experts. They're an insurance company. Generally speaking the realtors are the experts. And sometimes even they need to correct themsevles

https://globalnews.ca/news/9618932/canada-real-estate-prices-forecast-2023/

In its latest forecast released Thursday, Royal LePage adjusted its price forecast for 2023 given stronger-than-expected demand and limited supply.

The brokerage now predicts that national home prices will rise 4.5 per cent year-over-year by the end of 2023 instead of dropping one per cent in 2023, as it had predicted in December.

Royal LePage CEO Phil Soper told Global News that high employment and low supply contributed to the change in the forecast.

We spoke and you disagreed with this a while ago. It is the market that drives the prices, and hence housing costs have gone up, again.

You also said that high interest rates will be detrimental to house buying, well, that is not correct as the realtors will attest.  High interest rates have not prevented home buying at all.

I said, in a previous post, that I recently spent a few weeks in the Vancouver area. Lots of housing construction going on. The issue as I see it is that the houses being built are huge, 4000+ sq ft 5+ bedrooms withing 6 inches from the property line side to side and back to front. Maybe if we built "normal" sized homes (1500 sq ft) the price would not be so high?