LCBO Eliminating Paper Bags

The LCBO is eliminating the use of paper bags because....it "says will save the equivalent of 188,000 trees each year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lcbo-paper-bags-phase-out-1.6824100

While it is not really a big deal but, if eliminating paper bags is so environmentally conscious, how come they still publish that 100 page glossy Food and Drink magazine...in French and English.

I wonder how many trees it would save if they stopped that magazine?? Which is less useful than the paper bags.

No paper bags, what are homeless people in the park going to drink their booze out of now?

This is just what retail stores are doing now, nothing more. LCBO is following suit. It has more to do with saving a little money by not providing bags and making a little money selling reusable bags than it does with the environment. “Efficiencies!”

Edited by BeaverFever

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 10:31 PM, August1991 said:

The SAQ refuses to accept glass bottles for refund.

https://www.saq.com/en/content/about-us/responsibility/deposit

SAQ never took glass bottles for recycle.

It is a special project to take them to a recycle centre and the announcement is p=for phase2of the pilot project.

To me, this is evidence that the current "protect environment" and CO2 taxes are a fraud.

For example, if people in Quebec and its government were serious about the environment, they would have the SAQ collect/recycle old bottles.

In Quebec, grocery stores must collect plastic bottles and aluminium cans.

The SAQ refuses to collect/recycle anything.

Edited by August1991

Here's another example:

The new (federal) Champlain Bridge was designed for tolls: that was the Harper plan.

The federal Liberals in 2015 decided no tolls: anyone can drive without cost.

====

To protect the environment, Guilbeault wants to tax people in Alberta. But for seats, federal Liberals do not want to tax people on Montreal's South Shore who cross the bridge.

Imagine: A bridge built by Harper.

Edited by August1991

On 8/11/2023 at 1:55 PM, ExFlyer said:

The LCBO is eliminating the use of paper bags because....it "says will save the equivalent of 188,000 trees each year."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lcbo-paper-bags-phase-out-1.6824100

While it is not really a big deal but, if eliminating paper bags is so environmentally conscious, how come they still publish that 100 page glossy Food and Drink magazine...in French and English.

I wonder how many trees it would save if they stopped that magazine?? Which is less useful than the paper bags.

Meh. So now on date night @CdnFox’s wife will have to wear a wine box on her head instead. First world problems.

?

Edited by BeaverFever
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, RedDog said:

Montreal flushes its sewage into the St. Lawrence. I’m thinking the environment isn’t their concern.

That's no longer true - except in serious rainfalls.

But what does Halifax do with its toilets?

======

IMHO, there is a huge misunderstanding/scam about the environment - and i'll start with "carbon".

We have a tax on CO2 - carbon dioxide - it is not a "carbon tax".

It is not "climate change". We are worried about global warming.

====

I happen to care about the environment, I see the problems,  but I fear that this current Leftist/Suziki approach will be counter-productive.   

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

That's no longer true - except in serious rainfalls.

But what does Halifax do with its toilets?

======

IMHO, there is a huge misunderstanding/scam about the environment - and i'll start with "carbon".

We have a tax on CO2 - carbon dioxide - it is not a "carbon tax".

It is not "climate change". We are worried about global warming.

====

I happen to care about the environment, I see the problems,  but I fear that this current Leftist/Suziki approach will be counter-productive.   

You think any government, left or right, is going to deny the climate issue (or global warming) and allow things to go back to what they were?

I do not think there is a misunderstanding, people are aware of the issue. Terminology may differ but the problem is the same and known.

I think carbon fees and climate action (or global warming if  that term makes you feel better about it) will at the minimum continue but, in reality, will expand even more.

The elimination of biodegradable paper bags that can be made from recycled paper illustrates how stupid and gullible Canadians have become.  The bottom line is that we have less convenience and less customer service that makes little difference environmentally.  More Soviet-style services in Canukistan.  

I/we were told that plastic was recycled for reuse and plastic has handles. The same plastic would serve us for life a dozen times over.

In turn we’re told that companies like Weyerhaeuser plant eleven trees for every one they harvest in a nation with 17 billion trees where we require pulp and paper.

Is everything a lie anymore?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The elimination of biodegradable paper bags that can be made from recycled paper illustrates how stupid and gullible Canadians have become.  The bottom line is that we have less convenience and less customer service that makes little difference environmentally.  More Soviet-style services in Canukistan.  

100%.... then you add " More Soviet-style services in Canukistan.  "

Good post gone stupid. LOL

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

100%.... then you add " More Soviet-style services in Canukistan.  "

Good post gone stupid. LOL

The truth hurts.  The biggest complaint about Soviet markets was the lack of products and services. The Russians have been buying plastic bags for a long time.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The truth hurts.  The biggest complaint about Soviet markets was the lack of products and services. The Russians have been buying plastic bags for a long time.  

What truth?

LCBO in Ontario....Russia????? Title of the topic is "LCBO - Eliminating  PAPER bags".

We bought plastic bags for a long time too.

You are off the deep end. Paranoia has infected you LOL

27 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

What truth?

LCBO in Ontario....Russia????? Title of the topic is "LCBO - Eliminating  PAPER bags".

We bought plastic bags for a long time too.

You are off the deep end. Paranoia has infected you LOL

You don’t seem to understand the post. The point is that we went from getting free bags to buying them (as is done in Russia) to not even being offered bags to buy, including biodegradable paper bags. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

18 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You don’t seem to understand the post. The point is that we went from getting free bags to buying them (as is done in Russia) to not even being offered bags to buy, including biodegradable paper bags. 

You don't seem to understand the topic.   Paper bags - LCBO

Who gives a rats ass about Russia?

Over 100 countries now have a full or partial ban on single-use plastic bags.

8 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

So what’s your excuse for no longer providing biodegradable paper bags made from recycled paper?

My excuse??

Dude (or dudette), it is not my anything. You have a problem with it so... check with Putin and seif you can work it out  LOL