Mass absences break out at London schools as Pride flag flies

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Canada is regressing away from liberal democracy because narrow range of radical perspectives is being forced on the population on matters like identity while other basic rights like free speech and medical discretion are suppressed.  Don’t support current government positions and expect to be marginalized.

Many Canadians are duped into believing whatever the government tells them to believe. That is the enemy of liberty. And without liberty, you've got the vision of communist China. An untouchable elite ruling over a voiceless peasantry.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Incorrect.  I am on record on this board against the Trinity University ruling, so you are wrong.
2. I can't parse that sentence into what specifically your issue is, sorry.  Community values aren't held by 100% of the community but they are generally held by the community.  The relatively new acceptance of LGBTQ+ is one of those values.  Very few people are actually against equal rights, but more of them are against celebrating them.  
3. If you could find a single post on here where said any of those things then you would be correct but I haven't said these things, because I don't believe them.  You need to ask yourself why you add opinions to people when you disagree with them on something - it will hurt your ability to discuss things rationally.  I get it - I do it too - but you have to work on it IMO.
4. I don't.  I see the flag as a symbol of acknowledgement and celebration, not "emphasizing certain groups".  
5. They don't get families to "sign off" on things.  When did my family "sign off" on the Lord's Prayer in schools ?  It's not practical.
6. The "agenda" is equal rights for LGBTQ+ and it's now achieved.  The flag marks a milestone that is normative community acceptance.
7. Accepting LGBTQ+ is pluralism by definition.

Your arguments for putting Pride flags in front of public schools are weak.  I stand by my reasoning.  Expect huge culture wars over this, and rightfully so.  Unfortunately it will further divide the country and create winner takes all politics.  The good news for radical left people like you is that Canada is now a radical left country with a fairly permanent left wing government that has consolidated itself in our institutions.  The right to express opposition has been suppressed and the legislation keeps coming.  I hope you like it.  

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

you’re confirming your disrespect for pluralism and depoliticized education.  

Inclusiveness and accepting gay kids for who they are isn’t a political issue, other than for those who are vehemently against it.  

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Expect huge culture wars over this

Didn’t you just say in a previous post that there are very few “actual conservatives” in Canada?  Why would the culture war be huge over a school showing acceptance of people who are different than the “norm”?

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. Your arguments for putting Pride flags in front of public schools are weak.  
2. Expect huge culture wars over this, and rightfully so.  
3. Unfortunately it will further divide the country and create winner takes all politics.  
4. The good news for radical left people like you is that Canada is now a radical left country....
5. with a fairly permanent left wing government that has consolidated itself in our institutions.  
6. The right to express opposition has been suppressed and the legislation keeps coming.  
7. I hope you like it.  

1. It's not much of an argument really.  My argument is: "We made a change that a lot of people want to celebrate with a simple symbol.  Let's do it."  Your arguments seem to take the position that celebrating one group takes away from another, which makes no sense. ie. "You value emphasizing some identity groups above others "
2. It's already happening.  
3. The pride flag has been around for decades.  Why is it an issue now ?  Who's making it into a culture war position ?  Surely not Poilievre, with over-representation of gay folks in his inner circle and all.  I guess Maxime Bernier ?
4. Nope.  This is a conservative position and I already proved that above.  Stop trying to redefine 'freedom' as something leftists want.  Go read your history.
5. LGBTQ+ rights isn't left wing... not sure why you want to make it that.
6. Right... the people who freely say "take down those toxic rainbow flags" are the ones whose opinions are suppressed, the ones who want to suppress symbols of freedom.  
7. It's a rainbow, what's not to like ?

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It's not much of an argument really.  My argument is: "We made a change that a lot of people want to celebrate with a simple symbol.  Let's do it."  Your arguments seem to take the position that celebrating one group takes away from another, which makes no sense. ie. "You value emphasizing some identity groups above others "
2. It's already happening.  
3. The pride flag has been around for decades.  Why is it an issue now ?  Who's making it into a culture war position ?  Surely not Poilievre, with over-representation of gay folks in his inner circle and all.  I guess Maxime Bernier ?
4. Nope.  This is a conservative position and I already proved that above.  Stop trying to redefine 'freedom' as something leftists want.  Go read your history.
5. LGBTQ+ rights isn't left wing... not sure why you want to make it that.
6. Right... the people who freely say "take down those toxic rainbow flags" are the ones whose opinions are suppressed, the ones who want to suppress symbols of freedom.  
7. It's a rainbow, what's not to like ?

Get real.  Schools only started putting them on flag poles recently.  I’m wondering if this flag can be construed by some as a hate symbol.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. Get real.  Schools only started putting them on flag poles recently.  I
2. I’m wondering if this flag can be construed by some as a hate symbol.  

1. Toronto District School Board has been flying it for at least five years so.... I think the Canadian reaction is likely bleeding over from the nonsense south of us.

https://www.tdsb.on.ca/News/Article-Details/ArtMID/474/ArticleID/1214/June-is-Pride-Month

2.  Only by people who are epistemically retarded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Toronto District School Board has been flying it for at least five years so.... I think the Canadian reaction is likely bleeding over from the nonsense south of us.

https://www.tdsb.on.ca/News/Article-Details/ArtMID/474/ArticleID/1214/June-is-Pride-Month

2.  Only by people who are epistemically retarded.

Are you calling people who are offended by the Pride flag “retarded”?  Pretty hateful.