Jump to content

Prayer at funeral of Edmonton slain officers avoids name of Jesus


Recommended Posts

It is tragic.  I don't know who offered the prayer, but the person who offered a prayer started by addressing the god who is known by many different names.  He ended with an Amen but no mention of Jesus Christ.  Obviously this was a politically correct prayer meant to try to appease all religions.  But not a true prayer.  Praying to all the gods is not a Christian prayer.  According to the Bible, the only access to the true God is through Jesus Christ.  That is why Christians end their prayers with In Jesus name, Amen.  

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, blackbird said:

It is tragic.  I don't know who offered the prayer, but the person who offered a prayer started by addressing the god who is known by many different names.  He ended with an Amen but no mention of Jesus Christ.  Obviously this was a politically correct prayer meant to try to appease all religions.  But not a true prayer.  Praying to all the gods is not a Christian prayer.  According to the Bible, the only access to the true God is through Jesus Christ.  That is why Christians end their prayers with In Jesus name, Amen.  

Does this mean they’re going to hell now?  What are the consequences exactly?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Multifaith public ceremonies tend to omit Jesus' name.  I think there's a prohibition for Jews to attend "Christian" ceremonies, so they do that as a matter of course.

There's no cite in the OP (I peeked) so it's hard to tell if this is true or just somebody that said something.  If it was actually a "funeral" then one would think the family would be at least consulted.  But the poster who gave his personal account is a noted culture warrior who uses his personal scripture to rationalize public policy so who knows.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

But the poster who gave his personal account is a noted culture warrior who uses his personal scripture to rationalize public policy so who knows.

The memorial service was broadcast on CTV (and probably CBC) and I heard the man myself say the prayer from the podium and took note of the omission.

Odd that you would categorize me that way, yet you have claimed to be a Christian in the past.

Edited by blackbird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Odd that you would categorize me that way, yet you have claimed to be a Christian in the past.

Incorrect - I am a Christian today.  Especially so because I respect pluralism, the right for individuals to choose their faith (or not), and the necessity of keeping metaphysics OUT of public policy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I respect pluralism, the right for individuals to choose their faith (or not), and the necessity of keeping metaphysics OUT of public policy.

I respect pluralism, the right of the individuals to choose their faith (or not).

But that does not mean everyone should lose their freedom of speech and not able to comment on matters of faith.  You say you believe in freedom of religion, but not freedom of expression,  Strange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They said a prayer to God, the Father. No need to mention His children.

Please respect the Officers and their families and do not make this your political or denominational crusade. blackbird, you are completely our of line and disrespectful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I respect pluralism, the right of the individuals to choose their faith (or not).

Does the bible say to respect pluralism?   I don’t think it does.   The 1st Commandment specifically says not to respect pluralism. 
 

If you need more…. John 3:18, following one of the most often quoted passage in the bible, advocates against pluralism, not for it. 
 

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

It’s militant to ask questions and have discussion on an Internet forum?   

The OP is not asking questions, he made statements that it was not christian.

The person giving the prayer can do and say what he wishes and does not have to get permission from blackbird or anyone.

The ceremony was for the friends and family of the deceased officers and not a place for a religious evangelist to make some kind of point. He was completely out of line. He was disrespectful to the families and friends to say Jesus Christ was "the only access to the true God ".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Does the bible say to respect pluralism?   I don’t think it does.   The 1st Commandment specifically says not to respect pluralism. 
 

If you need more…. John 3:18, following one of the most often quoted passage in the bible, advocates against pluralism, not for it. 
 

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

The Bible does not advocate harassing, persecuting, insulting those who do not believe the Bible and are not Christian.  Jesus said to love thy neighbour as thyself.   The way I interpret pluralism is it means freedom of religion or no religion.  I don't think the Bible is saying not to respect pluralism.   You seem to be trying to invent something that is not there.   Are you on a continuing crusade to undermine or discredit the Bible?  You are failing in that.

The Bible does teach Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven and that there is only one God, the God of the Bible.  But it does not say to harass or persecute anyone who does not believe it.  That is a false claim you are making.  Every religion has their beliefs.  But Christianity / Bible does not teach to spread its message by force.  It only advocates the preaching of the gospel, which is peaceful.  That does not deny pluralism.  I don't think you understand the difference.

Edited by blackbird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ExFlyer said:

The OP is not asking questions, he made statements that it was not christian.

The person giving the prayer can do and say what he wishes and does not have to get permission from blackbird or anyone.

The ceremony was for the friends and family of the deceased officers and not a place for a religious evangelist to make some kind of point. He was completely out of line. He was disrespectful to the families and friends to say Jesus Christ was "the only access to the true God ".

You weren’t paying attention to whom my post was replying.   It had nothing to do with the OP, but the contention by @Contrarian that I’m a “militant atheist”. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

The Bible does not advocate harassing, persecuting, insulting those who do not believe the Bible and are not Christian.  Jesus said to love thy neighbour as thyself.   The way I interpret pluralism is it means freedom of religion or no religion.  I don't think the Bible is saying not to respect pluralism.   You seem to be trying to invent something that is not there.   Are you on a continuing crusade to undermine or discredit the Bible?  You are failing in that.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great that you embrace pluralistic society.   We’re all better for it.  Cherry picking the bible is the way forward for Christianity to fit into today’s more tolerant society.   I just don’t think the view is very biblical.  Hopefully, you will also take this view with LGBTQ folks in the future.  
 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The Bible does not advocate harassing, persecuting, insulting those who do not believe the Bible and are not Christian.  Jesus said to love thy neighbour as thyself.   The way I interpret pluralism is it means freedom of religion or no religion.  I don't think the Bible is saying not to respect pluralism.   You seem to be trying to invent something that is not there.   Are you on a continuing crusade to undermine or discredit the Bible?  You are failing in that.

Yet, you are constantly insulting or harassing persons that disagree with your religious rantings.

6 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You weren’t paying attention to whom my post was replying.   It had nothing to do with the OP, but the contention by @Contrarian that I’m a “militant atheist”. 

Yes, I was paying attention to whom you were replying.

I was reiterating what the OP said. As I said, the OP never asked questions, he made statements.

Edited by ExFlyer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

They said a prayer to God, the Father. No need to mention His children.

Please respect the Officers and their families and do not make this your political or denominational crusade. blackbird, you are completely our of line and disrespectful.

No, I wasn't. This was a public, national memorial service.  Therefore it is reasonable to comment on the fact the prayer was not a Christian prayer in my view.  It was a politically-correct prayer and therefore open to comment on, whether you agree or not.   Naturally someone who is not Christian is going to see it differently as you do.  That's fair too, but you are mistaken in thinking nobody has a right to comment on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

 Cherry picking the bible is the way forward for Christianity to fit into today’s more tolerant society.   I just don’t think the view is very biblical.  Hopefully, you will also take this view with LGBTQ folks in the future.  
 

No, I am not cherry picking.  Biblical Christianity does not fit into today's more tolerant society if you mean agree with society.  But Biblical Christianity is a belief system, not a political system.  It is nonsense to try to say it must fit in with society's views on anything.  The world is in general an evil system.  The Bible gives the answer to that and what an individual must do to be saved.  Everyone must choose whom they will follow.  You've made your choice.

Edited by blackbird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Contrarian said:

you could not stand that someone called you on your agitation instead of bringing a rational point

No, I enjoy the conversation.  I just didn’t understand your point about militant atheists.   I thought it would be an interesting question to know what the OP thought the consequences would be of not invoking Jesus in a prayer at a memorial.  That was the entire premise of the OP, so why not ask about it?   Do you think it should be taboo to question religious doctrine?

On another point, you sure like labels, don’t you?  You take great pride in being a “centrist” and seem to be offended and quick to rip the centrist badge off my chest if I say something you don’t agree with. Did I even call my self a centrist at some point?   If so, feel free to re-label me as “militant atheist”, “radical leftist”, or whatever would make you feel better.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I respect pluralism, the right of the individuals to choose their faith (or not).

But that does not mean everyone should lose their freedom of speech and not able to comment on matters of faith.  You say you believe in freedom of religion, but not freedom of expression,  Strange.

What about more freedom from religion and supernaturalism? Why should we have to accommodate so much of it in public policy?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Yet, you are constantly insulting or harassing persons that disagree with your religious rantings.

Are you not doing the same thing to me?  I prefer civil conversation, but when I made a simple statement that the prayer was not a Christian biblical prayer, you attacked me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Popular Now

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,698
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    IPEM Group of Institutions
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • Ethan Wylde earned a badge
      First Post
    • Yakuda went up a rank
      Experienced
    • QuebecOverCanada went up a rank
      Grand Master
    • Jeary went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Gator earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...