Trudeau hires some lefty loon to combat "Islamophobia" (whatever that means)

West

2 hours ago, Contrarian said:

One time in a call, years ago, an American that I was working with pissed me off and said: "How come you have the day off for Victoria Day?"     

and I said, well: "we have a royal aristocratic Queen which keeps our lands stable, you have Donald Trump."?

I am not a loyalist per say, however let's not rush reform either, especially for the solutions that you are proposing: "Destroy and rebuild."   It leads to chaos, when are you going to see it?

Small changes, every election cycle, I am fine with that. 

Are you fine with this?

On 2/2/2023 at 8:13 AM, blackbird said:

The way I interpret Trudeaus' appointment is to oppose or discourage hatred of Muslims and oppose any form of violence or hateful behavior.

There's nothing wrong with discouraging hatred. The question is, as always, in the details. What hatred? Why this kind of hatred and not that? Who decided which hatred? How it was decided and does it make sense? Will the proposed measure be effective in discouraging hatred? Or even have any chance of? In a democracy, all these questions are a) valid and b) answered.

How many violent crimes were committed against homeless? Against women? Other social groups? Very recently, we had something very close to a witchhunt on people asking legitimate, meaningful questions? Do they all need obscenely paid public advocates too? Who decided? How?

But Putins and Chen Un don't need to bother. Can go strait down to discouragement part.

Trudeau sucks up to Islam a little to much. And we have the best country in the world, why destroy it by forcing such radical changes. And why does Islam get handled with kid gloves? And why would anyone that hates everything about this country be given the power she has been given? 

We had a national committee on the status of women, and then it was disbanded at a certain point when these changes got a momentum of their own.

The change today is that there are media outlets pushing fear of Muslims, and those are read by unhinged people who are prone to violence.

The idea is to bring Islamophobia into the public consciousness as a common problem we have to deal with.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The change today is that there are media outlets pushing fear of Muslims, and those are read by unhinged people who are prone to violence.

And only the all-knowing, all-seeing-through benevolent beyond any human measure the Honorable and Wisest Supreme Leader can single-handedly balance matters of this complexity. Right. How else, in the times of Adam.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What's the scale of those issues, versus the murders and violence against Muslims in canada?

Is it so obvious to you? How? You have a special eye.. or a connection to the Supreme Genius office? How come this is not public information and no public discussion happened before this decision was made? The same happy "we just know best for your own good" tune, and why drop it really, IF WE CAN?

Edited by myata

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Your answer?

No need to invent the wheel. People elect truly independent representatives who cannot be controlled and will bring any questionable decisions to a public discussion immediately (not some decades belated); or people elect their representatives in the parties that represent their interests, freely without artificial constraints and barriers. Both are democratically legitimate and effective in finding solutions that population understands. This parody has only a remote resemblance and only because this is Canada and nobody can be bothered to care.

Edited by myata

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

What's the scale of those issues, versus the murders and violence against Muslims in canada?

Certainly more widespread. There have been two attacks on Muslims I'm aware of. Rather a lot more BY Muslims which no one ever seems to want to acknowledge. 

I fail to see how appointing a textbook example of the kind of Muslims people who hate Muslims are likely to hate is going to in any way, shape or form do a single, solitary thing to convince them they're wrong.

If Trudeau was actually looking to do something to address distrust/dislike of Muslims he'd have appointed a thoroughly assimilated Muslim to show people they need not be afraid of 'the other'. 

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Certainly more widespread. There have been two attacks on Muslims I'm aware of. Rather a lot more BY Muslims which no one ever seems to want to acknowledge. 

Really ?  How many murders in Canada ?   How many churches were burned down - 4 near First Nations grounds ?  Do we need an ambassador for that really ?

Comparing such things usually indicates a lack of context.  We are integrating Muslims into Canada, full stop.  That is happening.  Criticism of their faith, criticism of the culture and hate mongering are all different things.

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Really ?  How many murders in Canada ?   How many churches were burned down - 4 near First Nations grounds ?  Do we need an ambassador for that really ?

Comparing such things usually indicates a lack of context.  We are integrating Muslims into Canada, full stop.   That is happening.  Immigration isn't going away.

Criticism of their faith, criticism of the culture and hate mongering are all different things.

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

We had a national committee on the status of women, and then it was disbanded at a certain point when these changes got a momentum of their own.

The idea is to bring Islamophobia into the public consciousness as a common problem we have to deal with.

Any fair criticism is labeled a "phobia" by the vile left 

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Over 70 churches have been attacked.

https://tnc.news/2023/01/16/a-map-of-every-church-burnt-or-vandalized-since-the-residential-school-announcements/

11 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Comparing such things usually indicates a lack of context.  We are integrating Muslims into Canada, full stop.  

Then it would have been a good idea to have found an integrated Muslim to represent this instead of one who hates Canada and whose primary goal seems to be go get Muslim prayer rooms in schools.

And in any event, you should know by now that Justin Trudeau couldn't care less about Islamophobia, or racism, or transphobia, or anything else. I mean, he cares in a fashionable, dilettante sort of way. But it's so far down the list of his concerns as to be almost negligible. Since he got elected every word he's uttered, every policy pronouncement, every law, every action of he and his government have been designed with the sole purpose of enhancing their popularity.

This appointment, and the millions of taxpayer dollars going to it and its office, are not designed to attack 'islamophobia'. Their sole purpose is to enhance Liberal election fortunes with Muslims.

Edited by I am Groot
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, I am Groot said:

1. Over 70 churches have been attacked.

2. ... primary goal seems to be go get Muslim prayer rooms in schools.

3. Justin Trudeau

4. Their sole purpose is to enhance Liberal election fortunes with Muslims.

1. TNC is not a valid source.  I used Wikipedia.

2. There's nothing wrong with that.

3. He's not someone who I care about.

4. Maybe but it's an important thing to ensure Canadians live in peace.

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Any discussion of Islamophobia in Canada should start with that word after the events in Quebec City. 

Absolutely.  Anyone who says "death to Muslims" is very likely Islamophobic.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sure, but it goes further and it's not about people like Sam Harris criticizing Islam.  There's a large weight of hate mongering that is more clever than that.

Who's Sam Harris, and what does he say about Islam?  Am I likely to agree with him?

I know what you mean about anti Islam hate, though.  Being a Brit I was quite surprised by all the Hindu Islamophobia in Leicester last year.  Of course, there was a lot of lslamic Hinduphobia too.

To be fair, it was about the cricket.

Edit>  Never mind the questions regarding Sam Harris.  I looked him up.

Edited by bcsapper

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

1. Who's Sam Harris, and what does he say about Islam?  Am I likely to agree with him?

2. ... there was a lot of lslamic Hinduphobia too.

1. Centre-right podcaster... very reasonable.  Has major problems with wokism, Trumpism and Islam.  I don't agree with him all the time but he is at least reasonable.
2. Yeah, well... I don't know how well that carries to Canada.... I really don't know.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Centre-right podcaster... very reasonable.  Has major problems with wokism, Trumpism and Islam.  I don't agree with him all the time but he is at least reasonable.
2. Yeah, well... I don't know how well that carries to Canada.... I really don't know.

1) Me too.

2) Me neither.  But as a Brit, my area of concern is different to yours.

Edited by bcsapper

16 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Who's Sam Harris, and what does he say about Islam?  Am I likely to agree with him?

I know what you mean about anti Islam hate, though.  Being a Brit I was quite surprised by all the Hindu Islamophobia in Leicester last year.  Of course, there was a lot of lslamic Hinduphobia too.

Why?

Islam has never accepted Hinduism as a legitimate religion. It regards any religion which came after the 'one true religion - ie theirs' to be illegitimate. And it has a particular hatred of polytheism and henotheism. Islamic warlords spent centuries rampaging through northern India slaughtering millions. The reason Pakistan and Bangladesh, once traditionally part of India, are Muslim is because Muslim conquerors murdered or drove off all the Hindus who wouldn't convert. 

2 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Why?

Islam has never accepted Hinduism as a legitimate religion. It regards any religion which came after the 'one true religion - ie theirs' to be illegitimate. And it has a particular hatred of polytheism and henotheism. Islamic warlords spent centuries rampaging through northern India slaughtering millions. The reason Pakistan and Bangladesh, once traditionally part of India, are Muslim is because Muslim conquerors murdered or drove off all the Hindus who wouldn't convert. 

Why what?