15-Minute Cities

On 1/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, Infidel Dog said:

This all sounds very '2030 Agenda-ish' to me.

The bit they left out is how the Global Resetter investment class like Black Rock and Vanguard have been buying up the suburbs while Gates and others by up farm and ranch land.

My personal suspicion is this is what the push to go electric with cars is about. Electric and driverless - that's what cars in the 15 minute cities will look like. While Gates and his buddies zip about the vacant countryside, choking down porter house steaks, cuddling city girls all too willing to do anything to get out. They all joke about how they've got the plebs in the cities eating bugs.

There's the conspiracy theory for you in its complete form. And I don't care who doesn't like it. Every day it gets a little more real. Drip, drip, drip.

Drip, drip, drip.

Yes. It's true. It's happening. I just wonder what is the difference between the future and now? The gap between the ultra wealthy and the rest has always been there. The ultra wealthy had always had control. They predict and sometimes coerce world narratives, and then take financial advantage of them. For example: Wars; You have the military industrial complex, the rebuilders who clean up the military's mess, the contractors, the brokers, etc., who get a piece of that expensive pie. They are controlled by the ultra wealthy. This system has been in place for a long time.

Are driveless electric cars your limit? I am curious how you think your life will be different from now. You don't think you'll be able to go to the national parks, to get a taste of the outdoors? Outside of the provincial and federal lands, all land is private. It doesn't matter who owns it, you aren't able to use it now either. 

I was on MLS a couple of nights ago and, there is a lot of private land available for sale. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 8:45 PM, Zeitgeist said:

There are many great aspects to New Urbanism and the idea of walkable, transit-friendly, human scale communities.  I wholeheartedly agree with Goddess, however, that when these communities are “enhanced” with all sorts of “smart” data collection, there’s a very real possibility that this data can be used for surveillance.

I've been thinking about this comment. And topic.

The idea of walkable, transit-friendly, human scale communities is, of course, a pleasant vision.

What makes me doubt the underlying motive of them is that they are not installing new parks, recreational facilities, better transport or up-to-date amenities for this pleasant vision.

So far the infrastructure for 15 min. cities consists of barriers, surveillance cameras and restrictive technologies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goddess said:

The idea of walkable, transit-friendly, human scale communities is, of course, a pleasant vision.

What makes me doubt the underlying motive of them is that they are not installing new parks, recreational facilities, better transport or up-to-date amenities for this pleasant vision.

So far the infrastructure for 15 min. cities consists of barriers, surveillance cameras and restrictive technologies.

Yup.  I shun increased surveillance and any attempts to restrict our freedom of movement and other rights.  If anything, top down control must be reduced.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goddess said:

What planet dimension are you people from?

My commute is about 45 minutes one way. Not the worst... commutes in the Bay area are far worse. 

That being said, it is comical to think that a government (except China) could mandate that someone live in these 15 minute cities and then not be able to leave them. From a purely efficiency viewpoint.. it makes sense to have population density, folks living close to work, etc.. but there is this thing called choice. 

We live in a country where we have more land then we know what to do with.  It seems crazy to pack us in like sardines just to save a bit on infrastructure. But pack us all in they will just because they can. I'm not the sardine type. I like a little bit of open space, a little bit of privacy. Not thrilled about this idea at all. It goes against the human spirit. And just about the time we all have electric cars (and no place to go), they'll begin rationing electricity. There's an agenda all right and I'm glad I won't be around to see the worst of it.

The uproar over this is Conspiracy Theory tripe. 

It would be lovely to be a 15 minute walk from all necessary amenities. Suburbs aren't built that way however. 

That being said, If this "was" going to be made policy, how can they determine you work 15 minutes from your home? Or that your family is 15 minutes from your home? 

BTW infilling Suburbs is the only way to actually make them sustainable. Suburbs can only make money with Single-Family units if they sprawl like a virus. And that's not sustainable. 

The prudent move is to infill the land with more affordable multi-family dwellings. Condos, Duplexes, Basement Apartments, Townhomes etc etc etc. 

People opposed to such things are nothing but NIMBY's and are part of the problem. If they want only Single Family homes in their town, they best be prepared to pay significantly more in taxes. 

Edited by Boges

38 minutes ago, suds said:

Yep, I'll admit I'm a nimby. But it's better being a nimby than being a sardine.

you work for decades to acquire your dream property, forgo retirement to pay the mortgage on it

you don't spend money, you don't go out, you don't go on trips, you just stay home to be frugal

your only recreation therein is the enjoyment of your backyard at the end of a sixty hour work week

for just a few weeks in summer mind you, as during the rest of the year, this is a frozen wasteland

then the nanny police state government takes it upon itself to try to destroy that enjoyment of your life's work

that's Canada in a nutshell

the call came on high from the powers that be,

to build a Royal monster right down on the quay . . .

Edited by Dougie93