The justice system failed again in the murder of a police officer the other day in Ontario

38 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Maybe you need to face reality, do some research, China and India are not going to jump on board, their actions speak louder than promises they have been putting out for decades, every see china's industrial cities in the day, it looks like London in heavy fog, thats carbon output my friend... so think you might be able to walk on it.   

I never said there was currently the political will. There will need to be eventually though. 

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

I never said there was currently the political will. There will need to be eventually though. 

And thats makes sense to you , to currently set goals that effect our economy, our quality of life hoping someone else will jump on board, so we can make a difference , we have been at this climate change for decades now, seen any major changes, that will save the planet...me neither in fact the numbers only get worse year by year...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

It's not an augment, and it was not meant to be all knowing and telling. I called him out for being a hypocrite, he was bit** slapping Blackbird for his believes, when treebeard has done squat to put is mouth where his believes are. In fact most Canadians have done shit, to back those believes up is hypocritical.

Blackbeard gets mocked and ridiculed for tastelessly waving his/her Bible around in virtually every debate.  If he was an Imam doing the same with the Quran, I somehow doubt you'd be so supportive. 

At any rate, he said something stupid, was correctly called out on it, and then you jumped in with this tired old rag of an argument (and it is an argument) about climate change and everyone not doing enough...so we shouldn't care or talk about it...or something. 

I'm not going to read or respond to the rest of your giant wall of text, because you're almost certainly not saying anything new you haven't ranted about before, but this line of reasoning is poor and you're never making a good point when you repeat it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Blackbeard gets mocked and ridiculed for tastelessly waving his/her Bible around in virtually every debate.  If he was an Imam doing the same with the Quran, I somehow doubt you'd be so supportive. 

At any rate, he said something stupid, was correctly called out on it, and then you jumped in with this tired old rag of an argument (and it is an argument) about climate change and everyone not doing enough...so we shouldn't care or talk about it...or something. 

I'm not going to read or respond to the rest of your giant wall of text, because you're almost certainly not saying anything new you haven't ranted about before, but this line of reasoning is poor and you're never making a good point when you repeat it.  

My post has nothing to do with backing Blackbirds religious believes, i believe it was all about climate change, you would have known that if you read any of the post. 

Tree beard said something stupid and was call on out on it by me... And that tired old rag of an argument is based on facts , facts that again you did not read, becasue your not interested in facts just the argument. Go figure...

You and treetrunk are using the same tired old rag of an argument when defending our nations efforts on climate change, when it has been proven 3 times now it is a failed policy( most of it is based on lies as well) ...and proven it will continue to fail...knowing that you still support this government efforts on climate change, and denounce everyone else as deniers or in blackbird case as a religious wingnut...when most will say Canadians believe in your preaching, but are not really willing to do anything about it. Now you can call that being lazy, or not giving a shit, but they are no better than black birds opinion ...it is mission imposable, no matter what Canada or the west does about climate change... Note it is call global climate change and will need a global response , not going to happen....anything else is just a dream, you and other have...

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:00 AM, blackbird said:

I support stopping pollution.  I should have referred to climate change.  Man cannot control the climate.  It is fiction to believe he can.

We can certainly change the way our behaviour influences the climate but yeah once a certain point has been passed we're like the Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Do you support changing our behaviour?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:00 AM, blackbird said:

I support stopping pollution.  I should have referred to climate change.  Man cannot control the climate.  It is fiction to believe he can.

We can trash everything else on the planet but can't do anything to affect the climate. Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

16 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

My post has nothing to do with backing Blackbirds religious believes, i believe it was all about climate change, you would have known that if you read any of the post. 

Then why'd you talk about Blackbird's religious beliefs, or goofily equate those to the reality of climate change?  ?

16 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Tree beard said something stupid and was call on out on it by me... And that tired old rag of an argument is based on facts , facts that again you did not read, becasue your not interested in facts just the argument. Go figure...

No, Treebeard stated a fact and your response to it was stupid.  Whether or not anyone's doing enough to halt/reverse climate change is irrelevant to the fact that climate change is real.  There's nothing contradictory or hypocritical about understanding that.  This whole line of reasoning you insist on repeating is utter nonsense.  

There are kernels of good logic in your ranting about climate change, but you're missing them and focusing on the wrong ones.  Calm the hell down and think before you post.  You're not dumb, and you could save yourself the trouble of typing out a longwinded emotional walls of text nobody is going to read.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

You and treetrunk are using the same tired old rag of an argument when defending our nations efforts on climate change,

I’ve never defended our nation’s effort on climate change.  Frankly, it has been a joke.  The Liberals have done absolutely nothing to address the problem.  That’s why it has been a failure.  Much more needs to be done.   

The Liberals have been no better than what the Conservatives would be, except they don’t deny that there’s a problem.  They just lie about doing something about it. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:34 AM, Army Guy said:

Who cares whether he believes or not, there are poop loads of people that do believe climate change is real, and they have done squat about it, not on a personal level , or been active and vocal with all levels of government, The liberal voters are very fond of the Carbon tax and yet it has not produced any tangible results at all. And they refuse to change their votes or take any action. 

Knowing all that your no better than the guy that does not believe in climate change, stop being a hypocrite. 

Belief that the science is true has to be the first step in fixing the problem.  Denying facts leads to bad decisions.  Is that a radical concept?  Do you agree with that?

What if people didn’t believe that there was acid rain?  Do you think the problem of acid rain would have been fixed if those charged with fixing problems denied the scientific facts?

21 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I’ve never defended our nation’s effort on climate change.  Frankly, it has been a joke.  The Liberals have done absolutely nothing to address the problem.  That’s why it has been a failure.  Much more needs to be done.

Seriously?  What would you do about climate change?  Do you seriously think you can control the climate?  What would you do?   Shut down the energy industry and put the hundreds of thousands of people on welfare?  Take all vehicles off the road?  Stop people from heating their homes?  

21 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Seriously?  What would you do about climate change?  Do you seriously think you can control the climate?  What would you do?   Shut down the energy industry and put the hundreds of thousands of people on welfare?  Take all vehicles off the road?  Stop people from heating their homes?  

Nobody is saying they can control the climate.  We're saying our activity has an impact on the climate, which we should endeavor to minimize.  

Nobody is saying we should shut down the energy industry.  Nobody is saying we should take all of the vehicles off the road.  Nobody is saying we should stop heating our homes.  

Now that we've addressed all of the strawmen you've elected to argue against, did you have anything intelligent to say?  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Nobody is saying they can control the climate.  We're saying our activity has an impact on the climate, which we should endeavor to minimize.  

Nobody is saying we should shut down the energy industry.  Nobody is saying we should take all of the vehicles off the road.  Nobody is saying we should stop heating our homes.  

Now that we've addressed all of the strawmen you've elected to argue against, did you have anything intelligent to say?  

Maybe you could tell us what you would do.  You say you can't control the climate but say we should minimize our impact on it.  So tell us how you would do that.

Just now, blackbird said:

Maybe you could tell us what you would do.  You say you can't control the climate but say we should minimize our impact on it.  So tell us how you would do that.

When I drive to hockey, I set my vehicle on cruise control and keep the speed steady at <90km/h.  It improves my gas mileage from around 9-10L/100km, to around ~7. Boom -  Environment impacted.  

2 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

When I drive to hockey, I set my vehicle on cruise control and keep the speed steady at <90km/h.  It improves my gas mileage from around 9-10L/100km, to around ~7. Boom -  Environment impacted.  

Why don't you stop driving a vehicle and just ride a bike or walk?

Too bad you don't realize driving on cruise control will make absolutely no difference to the environment or climate.  Canada emissions are miniscule and the human caused CO2 in the atmosphere is miniscule.  But if it makes you feel good.  go ahead.  Just don't try to feed the baloney to everyone else that you are actually making any difference to the climate because you're not.

Edited by blackbird

22 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Your contention was that nothing can be done….  That’s not actually true, is it?  There needs to be political will.  Maybe choose your words more carefully. 

Nothing can be done given the realities of this world. I can say "Sure, something could be done if every nation on the Earth cooperates and works at it." But I might as well talk about some other kind of nirvana we could become in that impossible situation. Because it's not going to happen. Most of the people in charge of most countries are only interested in the short-term, in how things work while they're in charge. They don't give a damn about what might happen fifty or more years in the future.

Which is why they're still putting up coal plants.

2 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

If you think we've been a failure you should see what the big emitters like China and Russia and India and Indonesia are doing.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Why don't you stop driving a vehicle and just ride a bike or walk?

Too bad you don't realize driving on cruise control will make absolutely no difference to the environment or climate.  Canada emissions are miniscule and the human caused CO2 in the atmosphere is miniscule.  But if it makes you feel good.  go ahead.  Just don't try to feed the baloney to everyone else that you are actually making any difference to the climate because you're not.

Do you think everyone on the planet should be able to emit like the average Canadian? If not, why not?

24 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Do you think everyone on the planet should be able to emit like the average Canadian? If not, why not?

Canada is geographically a very large country and many people have to travel long distances to get to their jobs, appointments, etc.  Canada does not contribute a large amount of CO2 to atmosphere.  It won't make any difference what Canadians do. Why get excited about it or try to hamper life in Canada as liberals are doing now with carbon taxes?

Edited by blackbird

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Canada is geographically a very large country and many people have to travel long distances to get to their jobs, appointments, etc.  Canada does not contribute a large amount of CO2 to atmosphere.  I won't make any difference what Canadians do. Why get excited about it or try to hamper life in Canada as liberals are doing now with carbon taxes?

China and India are also very large countries. The average Canadian emits 2.5 times as much as the average Chinese in spite of theme being so heavily industrialized and generating so much power with coal. It also gets damn cold in northern China. The average Canadian emits 9.7 times as much as the average Indian.

Why do you think Canadians are entitled to such a disproportionate amount of the world's resources and emissions?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Nothing can be done given the realities of this world. I can say "Sure, something could be done if every nation on the Earth cooperates and works at it." But I might as well talk about some other kind of nirvana we could become in that impossible situation. Because it's not going to happen. Most of the people in charge of most countries are only interested in the short-term, in how things work while they're in charge. They don't give a damn about what might happen fifty or more years in the future.

Which is why they're still putting up coal plants.

I know you think nothing can be done, but I don’t see you as a good judge of these things.  Politically, things can change very quickly for the better;. ask Brazil.  

Canada needs to lead in this, export technology and push for change in other countries.  Throwing our hands up and saying we can’t do anything would have had us continuing to have acid rain and holes in the ozone.  

11 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

If you think we've been a failure you should see what the big emitters like China and Russia and India and Indonesia are doing.

we are a failure, and so are the countries you mention.  But, rich Western nations need to lead, not snivel and whine about other countries.  

16 minutes ago, Aristides said:

China and India are also very large countries. The average Canadian emits 2.5 times as much as the average Chinese in spite of theme being so heavily industrialized and generating so much power with coal. It also gets damn cold in northern China. The average Canadian emits 9.7 times as much as the average Indian.

Why do you think Canadians are entitled to such a disproportionate amount of the world's resources and emissions?

China (and India) are very highly populated.  Much of population in China is concentrated in big cities and people live in apartments.  Canada has a much smaller population per square kilometer.  You are comparing apples and oranges.  Canadians also probably have a higher percentage of its population that have their own vehicle and own a home.  We have to use more energy to heat stand alone homes and drive more vehicles in a spread out country.  It is pointless to say we emit 2.5 times as much as the average Chinese.  Totally different situations.

Also you never mentioned China emits around 28% of the fossil emissions in the world while Canada's emissions is very small.  What about that?

Edited by blackbird

On 1/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, blackbird said:

Equally sad is the top issue for Quebec is the environment

18 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What does all this talk about climate change and emissions have to do with the murder of a police officer in Ontario?  Nothing.

“This is off topic” says the person who brought up the off topic conversation in the first place!  ? 

I apologize for laughing, if you have some sort of impairment like Alzheimer’s, or memory loss due to being hit in the head.   

Canada needs to lead in this, export technology and push for change in other countries.

Where does this nonsense theme keep coming from? Canada is NOT going to lead. Other countries have been leading for decades now. There's no chance we'll catch up to them. There's no chance we'll even equal them. That you don't know about them just indicates how little attention is being paid to 'leaders' on climate change. No one in China or Russia, or India, for that matter, Texas, is going around saying "Man, those Norwegians are really impressing me with their climate change leadership. We should follow them!"

we are a failure, and so are the countries you mention.  But, rich Western nations need to lead, not snivel and whine about other countries.  

Western nations have been leading. Where you been? They've spent hundreds of billions of dollars so far, maybe 

But guess what? Hundreds of coal plants are still going up.