The death industry for the disabled, mentally ill, and poor is ramping up in Canada

Alan Nichols had a history of depression and other medical issues, but none were life-threatening. When the 61-year-old was hospitalized in June 2019 over fears he might be suicidal, he asked his brother to “bust him out” as soon as possible.

Within a month, Nichols submitted a request to be euthanized and he was killed, despite concerns raised by his family and a nurse practitioner.

His application for euthanasia listed only one health condition as the reason for his request to die: hearing loss.

'Put to death': Canada's too-permissive euthanasia laws a threat to the disabled, experts say | National Post

The provincial regulatory agency, British Columbia’s College of Doctors and Surgeons, told the family it could not proceed without a police investigation. In March, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Cpl. Patrick Maisonneuve emailed the relatives to say he had reviewed the documentation and concluded Alan Nichols “met the criteria” for euthanasia.

he law was later amended to allow people who are not terminally ill to choose death, significantly broadening the number of eligible people. Critics say that change removed a key safeguard aimed at protecting people with potentially years or decades of life left.

The law was later amended to allow people who are not terminally ill to choose death, significantly broadening the number of eligible people. Critics say that change removed a key safeguard aimed at protecting people with potentially years or decades of life left.

The law was later amended to allow people who are not terminally ill to choose death, significantly broadening the number of eligible people. Critics say that change removed a key safeguard aimed at protecting people with potentially years or decades of life left.

Today, any adult with a serious illness, disease or disability can seek help in dying.

Medical assistance in dying: Woman with chemical sensitivities chose death | CTV News

There was “Sophia,” a 51-year-old Toronto woman with severe chemical sensitivities who took MAID after she was unable to find an affordable home free of the smell of smoke or chemical cleaners. “Denise,” a 31-year-old Toronto woman, similarly pursued euthanasia as a result of what she called “abject poverty” preventing her from securing appropriate accommodation for a variety of chronic conditions.

Edited by Army Guy
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

Right…. So this person was very ill and wanted to die….   just because you don’t like it, doesn’t mean people shouldn’t have the choice.  

You’re far too dismissive of the risks of MAID.  I won’t argue it with you because your logic demonstrates exactly how this country landed in this China-like mess.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re far too dismissive of the risks of MAID.  I won’t argue it with you because your logic demonstrates exactly how this country landed in this China-like mess.  

Once a line is crossed, any other line will be crossed given time and expediency. Sort of like abortions. At first it was to only to be for apparent rape & threats to the mother's life. Now it has morphed into some crazy and truly immoral things like late term abortions. I'm sorry...you just killed a child.

When it comes to the infirm and insane...like the ones roaming our streets. Would the general public be too mad if they suddenly disappeared? Would they? Really??? Heheheh...I frickin doubt it. Especially if you #foryoursafety to the whole...aktion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You overstate the risks of MAID and want to dictate  how people with intolerable medical conditions should die…. you want more suffering, rather than easing suffering.  

Why should you dictate how someone ends their life?

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

They’re not really choosing…. The Nazis among us are killing them against their will, but no one realizes it, except a select few who see Nazis….  everywhere….

Laugh all you like, but it is how the Final Solution came about. They had a nice meeting with Germany's greatest legal minds and men of power to get the whole ball rolling properly with minimum friction. Away they went. If anybody noticed, they weren't saying much about it.

38 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Once a line is crossed, any other line will be crossed given time and expediency. Sort of like abortions. At first it was to only to be for apparent rape & threats to the mother's life. Now it has morphed into some crazy and truly immoral things like late term abortions. I'm sorry...you just killed a child.

When it comes to the infirm and insane...like the ones roaming our streets. Would the general public be too mad if they suddenly disappeared? Would they? Really??? Heheheh...I frickin doubt it. Especially if you #foryoursafety to the whole...aktion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aktion_T4

Well exactly.  This is the result of a government that has forgotten the value of our rights.   Basically the elderly have had their right to travel and decent care dismissed.  Canada really is becoming that nihilistic future A.I. dystopia I read about in sci-fi as a kid but never really believed I’d see in my lifetime.  The situation has to change.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You overstate the risks of MAID and want to dictate  how people with intolerable medical conditions should die…. you want more suffering, rather than easing suffering.  

Why should you dictate how someone ends their life?

Why should my tax dollars and government put people to death who aren’t even criminals?  We have ample pain killers and treatments.  Is it about cost and convenience?   I wonder whose discomfort euthanasia is really intended to end.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Why should my tax dollars and government put people to death who aren’t even criminals?  We have ample pain killers and treatments.  Is it about cost and convenience?   I wonder whose discomfort euthanasia is really intended to end.  

Their current ability to allow people to live in filth infested tent cities with zero regard to our old enemies like typhus says pretty much all one needs to say about the morality of those in charge.

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Because continuing to live is worse than death.  We clearly do not have ample pain treatments.  If you think people aren’t suffering, you’re either lying or extremely ignorant.  

Edited by TreeBeard

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Because continuing to live is worse than death.  We clearly do not have ample pain treatments.  If you think people aren’t suffering, you’re either lying or extremely ignorant.  

The big evil move that is leading to even greater evils was the permitting of active euthanasia (as opposed to merely removing life support or not resuscitating).  You’re going to have to read about medical ethics and forms of euthanasia.  I don’t have time to educate you.  

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The big evil move that is leading to even greater evils was the permitting of active euthanasia (as opposed to merely removing life support or not resuscitating).  You’re going to have to read about medical ethics and forms of euthanasia.  I don’t have time to educate you.  

It’s unethical to allow someone to suffer without giving them the choice of dying with dignity.  

• Like 1

I'll tell you about my first MAID death, for which I served as a lady's death doula.

She was 46 years old, terminal cancer.  Death was possibly a week or 2 away.  I had worked with her on her last wishes for 2 months prior to her date.  We created a "Legacy" project from various mementos of her life and had a good time discussing all her memories, both laughter and tears.  We talked about what she thought happens to us when we die. We made sure all her paperwork was order - her will and other documents.

She was not extraordinarily afraid of death, but did not want to suffer further with her illness.

She requested dim lighting, candles and a certain scent of incense.  She asked for a certain song to be played as she passed.  She asked to have her family pictures and other cherished items within her view as she passed.

She had no family left alive, had never had children, but 2 of her close friends attended.

It was very peaceful, everyone had time to prepare for her departure.  Goodbyes were said and final words of love and affection. We continued talking to her for about a half hour after she passed and then for about another hour, reflected on who she was and her life.

I found it very moving, very dignified.

I think this is what MAID is supposed to be.  I do believe it has a place.

I've attended deaths since then, but the first one is special to me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Goddess said:

I'll let him tell me that to my face, thanks.

You know me better than most around here.

If someone needs to go. They can go. My issue comes as soon as the government chimes in. It's not that far a walk to the place where suddenly the government is deciding who is suffering. And not too far beyond that is a scary path through a dark forest where solutions to problems are resolved in cost effective ways.

4 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

You know me better than most around here.

If someone needs to go. They can go. My issue comes as soon as the government chimes in. It's not that far a walk to the place where suddenly the government is deciding who is suffering. And not too far beyond that is a scary path through a dark forest where solutions to problems are resolved in cost effective ways.

That's what I thought you'd say. ?

• Like 1