Is Doug Ford one of the least divisive leaders in Canada?

I had a friend tell me today that he notices that Doug Ford is very careful to stay clear of all identity issues like racial issues, feminism etc.  It was an insightful comment when I came to think about it.  Ford never says anything anti-immigrant/white nationalist etc like Trump did, and he also doesn't do the Trudeau/Biden thing of treating POC like a special class or virtue signal about feminism etc.

This has worked very well for him.  Maybe you don't agree with all of his politics, but he's not a divisive politician.  Maybe this is what we need in our politics.  Sure you can address huge unavoidable issues like racism in policing etc, but stay clear of the woke or racist/anti-feminist.  Essentially just try to stay more neutral or at least reasonable.  We all seemed to be much happier before when none of us were so obsessed with talking about these identity issues so much.

If you react to this post with "but what about all the white supremacy?" or "but what about all those darn Muslims?" maybe you're closer to the problem than the solution.

Ford is still clinging to vaccine passports, so he doesn’t get a pass on Canada’s oppression problem. He hasn’t steered clear of race-obsessed training and inquisitions. He seems like a reasonable middle of the road sort of guy. On the whole he seems pretty caring and decent, which will probably buoy him through another election win.  If he builds the Ontario Line, gets some other decent infrastructure projects underway, drops the license plate stickers, and most importantly, ends these pandemic measures soon, that’s not a bad record.  He’s been quite present throughout the pandemic.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

• 4 months later...

To answer the OP, it seems that he's inventing a new centrist populism.

Here he is popping up at York region pride, and I'm sorry to posters here whose blood is starting on a low boil after reading this. Trigger warning.

CP24 Toronto's Breaking News: Premier Doug Ford marches in York region Pride parade.

https://www.cp24.com/news/premier-doug-ford-marches-in-york-region-pride-parade-1.5953348

• Like 1

This only further substantiates my belief, the man is loved by liberals. esp. vis Toronto has elected him.

I cannot stand him, as I view him as just another extension of corruption through organized crime. People can wear it in their sleeves now. Blind liberals cannot see it.

Forty percent turnout. I know would never vote for this man, or anyone like him.

I guess that leaves me out of the picture.

- The last conservative man speaks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 11:53 AM, Michael Hardner said:

To answer the OP, it seems that he's inventing a new centrist populism.

Here he is popping up at York region pride, and I'm sorry to posters here whose blood is starting on a low boil after reading this. Trigger warning.

CP24 Toronto's Breaking News: Premier Doug Ford marches in York region Pride parade.

https://www.cp24.com/news/premier-doug-ford-marches-in-york-region-pride-parade-1.5953348

A politician has to do all sorts of things they may or many not agree with. That is the life of a politician.

No trigger, just political reality.

He put himself in front of the cameras daily and came across as pretty caring.  He isn’t very conservative, but he seems much more in touch with regular people and their struggles than the other party leaders, especially the federal Liberals.  He’s not elitist.  I didn’t expect him to be so politically wise.  I don’t know how he got such wide support.  Ontarians like middle of the road and down to earth.  However, he mostly toes the federal line.  I think he can afford to push back more as Trudeau sinks.  Then again, he’s kept a lot of the public onside from all political stripes.  Hard to criticize his political instincts.  

• 4 months later...

I won’t vote for Ford after hearing this from the commission:

There was a split among Canada’s premiers about whether the Emergencies Act should be used, with some harbouring concerns about its potential to inflame protesters, Mr. Clow’s notes show. At a morning meeting on Feb. 14 – just hours before the act was invoked – Mr. Trudeau shared with the premiers how it would work, saying that it was not a military action and was “compliant with Charter.” Ontario Premier Doug Ford is listed as “strongly supports,” according to Mr. Clow’s notes.

Globe and Mail

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I won’t vote for Ford after hearing this from the commission:

There was a split among Canada’s premiers about whether the Emergencies Act should be used, with some harbouring concerns about its potential to inflame protesters, Mr. Clow’s notes show. At a morning meeting on Feb. 14 – just hours before the act was invoked – Mr. Trudeau shared with the premiers how it would work, saying that it was not a military action and was “compliant with Charter.” Ontario Premier Doug Ford is listed as “strongly supports,” according to Mr. Clow’s notes.

Globe and Mail

Blocking the Ambassador Bridge was likely something that woke Ford up.

The last Conservative premier had somebody killed for occupying a provincial park for a long weekend.

• Like 1