Enough is enough. Ban protests outside hospitals.

5 hours ago, Aristides said:

He doesn’t care. He also doesn’t understand that freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are two different things.

then are both listed under the same section of the charter and both are included in the first amendment

it is you who doesn't understand with your distinction without a difference blather as if that changes that rights are being infringed by stupid laws

27 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

rights are not privileges

you have them confused

the government doesn't grant you rights

the government is prevented from taking them away

laws which strip rights away are unconstitutional and are supposed to be struck down by the courts

even when they fail to do so

hate speech laws are unconstitutional

Where do we get rights from as Canadians then?

29 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

then are both listed under the same section of the charter and both are included in the first amendment

it is you who doesn't understand with your distinction without a difference blather as if that changes that rights are being infringed by stupid laws

And yet they are separate.

40 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Where do we get rights from as Canadians then?

God

it is in the first line of the Charter

rights from God > privileges from governments

if rights were mere privileges, there would be no need for a constitution, to protect those rights from government infringement

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

God

if rights were mere privileges, there would be no need for a constitution, to protect those rights from government infringement

You think God informed the framers of the Charter of Rights of what Canadians’ rights should be?

45 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

God

The second line says. 

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

In other words, your rights and freedoms aren't absolute and don't supersede the rights and freedoms of others. 

Edited by Aristides

34 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The second line says. 

In other words, your rights and freedoms aren't absolute and don't supersede the rights and freedoms of others. 

the freedoms of others aren't impeded by others rights to protest at the hospital

when they are, that is already illegal

no new law required

your proposed restrictions are not reasonable

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Supremacy of God and the rule of law. Show me where god said it is OK to picket hospitals.

god endowed mankind with freedom of expression

that includes picketing outside of hospitals

if you don't like how people use those rights

too bad for you

Edited by Yzermandius19

20 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

god endowed mankind with freedom of expression

that includes picketing outside of hospitals

if you don't like how people use those rights

too bad for you

Show me where god did that. God also endowed man the freedom to do all sorts of evil things.  Historically, religions have been among the most prominent restrictors of freedom of speech. 

The only rights you have are a product of man’s laws. God didn’t write the Charter.

Edited by Aristides

17 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Show me where god did that. God also endowed man the freedom to do all sorts of evil things.  Historically, religions have been among the most prominent restrictors of freedom of speech. 

The only rights you have are a product of man’s laws. God didn’t write the Charter.

it is man who restricted the speech

not God

God inspired the Charter

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

I totally get it…. They believed it too, no doubt!

Do you think God informed the framers of the Charter of Rights of what Canadians’ rights should be?

where else did they get the idea

that there is an authority greater than the state that give us these rights and so the government should not infringe on them?

only Christian nations invented that idea and they all credited God as the inspiration for it

it's not a coincidence

without faith in God, those rights wouldn't be enshrined in any constitutions

they are referred to as God given rights for a reason, it is not merely an expression

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Do you think God informed the framers of the Charter of Rights of what Canadians’ rights should be?

Your not making fun of a person who is religious are you ? because it sounds like it.. It is after all protected by our nations constitution. 

Did god sit down with the plank owners of this nation , probably not. But can you say our constitution is not heavily influenced by the same religion, most of todays moral values are created through the bible...including most of our laws...So the question is where did this influence come from? if not god.  

Edited by Army Guy

8 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

Your not making fun of a person who is religious are you ? because it sounds like it.. It is after all protected by our nations constitution. 

Did god sit down with the plank owners of this nation , probably not. But can you say our constitution is not heavily influenced by the same religion, most of todays moral values are created through the bible...including most of our laws...So the question is where did this influence come from? if not god.  

The poster is claiming our legal rights are handed down to us from the Christian God.  

Is asking questions about how that came to be “making fun”?  

How many of the 10 Commandments made it into the Canadian constitution?

Let’s just take the first one…. No gods before Me.  

That is antithetical to Canadian rights.

28 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

where else did they get the idea

that there is an authority greater than the state that give us these rights and so the government should not infringe on them?

only Christian nations invented that idea and they all credited God as the inspiration for it

it's not a coincidence

without faith in God, those rights wouldn't be enshrined in any constitutions

they are referred to as God given rights for a reason, it is not merely an expression

Gay folks have a right in Canada to get married.  This is enshrined in our Charter Rights.  

Did God intend that to be a right for Canadians?

12 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Gay folks have a right in Canada to get married.  This is enshrined in our Charter Rights.  

Did God intend that to be a right for Canadians?

All Charter Rights, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, are not necessarily God-given rights.  According to what the Bible teaches, there is no such thing as God recognizing gay marriage as legitimate marriage.  Just because something is made legal by a government, does not mean it is legitimate as far as God is concerned. 

Generally there are certain rights that one could say came from God.  But there are limitations to rights depending on the situation.

7 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

The poster is claiming our legal rights are handed down to us from the Christian God.  

Is asking questions about how that came to be “making fun”?  

How many of the 10 Commandments made it into the Canadian constitution?

Let’s just take the first one…. No gods before Me.  

That is antithetical to Canadian rights.

So where did all these ideas come from ? the bible, some old guy in a cave where ? 

And yes this statement proves that... you think that god is made up by man and then is not real, and anyone that believes in that is what ? 

I'm not a very religious man, but i do think at the end of this life i will have to atone for all my mistakes... My belief in religion is protected by the same constitution we are talking about why is that?, unless you can prove there is no god, or ever has been a god can you do that ? Nor can i prove that there is a god. and yet Yzermanduis has given you lots of evidence that our constitution is heavily influenced by Christian beliefs.  you believe in the constitution just not that it has come from god or based on gods words or teachings. Which are recorded in the bible...

37 minutes ago, blackbird said:

All Charter Rights, as interpreted by the Supreme Court, are not necessarily God-given rights.  According to what the Bible teaches, there is no such thing as God recognizing gay marriage as legitimate marriage.  Just because something is made legal by a government, does not mean it is legitimate as far as God is concerned. 

Generally there are certain rights that one could say came from God.  But there are limitations to rights depending on the situation.

So who decides which rights God wants us to have?   Did God want us to have the right to practice any religion we want?

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me”

Does that sound compatible with religious freedom?

34 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

So where did all these ideas come from ? the bible, some old guy in a cave where ? 

These ideas came from people.  Where did they get them?  You’d have to ask them. 

And yes this statement proves that... you think that god is made up by man and then is not real, and anyone that believes in that is what ? 

I questioned how God granted us rights in Canada.  I didn’t question God. 

I'm not a very religious man, but i do think at the end of this life i will have to atone for all my mistakes... My belief in religion is protected by the same constitution we are talking about why is that?, unless you can prove there is no god, or ever has been a god can you do that ? Nor can i prove that there is a god. and yet Yzermanduis has given you lots of evidence that our constitution is heavily influenced by Christian beliefs.  you believe in the constitution just not that it has come from god or based on gods words or teachings. Which are recorded in the bible...

Where did I say it wasn’t influenced by Christian beliefs???  @Yzermandius19 said that the rights come from God.  He didn’t say that the rights come from people who took some ideas from the bible.  I would have agreed with him.  

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

These ideas came from people.  Where did they get them?  You’d have to ask them. 

I questioned how God granted us rights in Canada.  I didn’t question God. 

Where did I say it wasn’t influenced by Christian beliefs???  @Yzermandius19 said that the rights come from God.  He didn’t say that the rights come from people who took some ideas from the bible.  I would have agreed with him.  

the people who took the ideas from the bible, to discover the idea of rights that should be protected from government infringement, were inspired by God to do so

those who were not inspired by God, didn't discover the idea of constitutionally protected rights, until those who were, told them about it and the beliefs that underpined their logic

directly or indirectly coming from God is besides the point

if you cherish your rights, they came from God, one way or the other, the exact mechanism of that is mere minutae relative to that objective truth

Edited by Yzermandius19