Gas prices.

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Which meter? The one before or after 2019

Now you are being really obtuse, as if basing a measure on a universal constant is worse than a dead king’s foot. What do we use to ensure the length of that dead kings foot remains constant, a thousand year old stick?

Edited by Aristides

27 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Now you are being really obtuse, as if basing a measure on a universal constant is worse than a dead king’s foot. What do we use to ensure the length of that dead kings foot remains constant, a thousand year old stick?

It's a whole different problem you are describing, as compared to the definition of a unit. There is the definition of it, then there is accuracy. You are describing accuracy. The problem I shewed is not due to accuracy, but to a change in the very definition of it.

Therefore it is nonsensical to use scientifically derived units that are subject to constant change. All we need is a constant that we all agree on.

Any kind of constant at all...

I think sensible/intelligent people can consider both units of measurements. 

Feet/Inches are still the standard in a lot of industries. 

But grams, litres and kilometres are a lot more sensible. 

Regarding Gas Prices, it's just going to get worse. You're actually lucky gas prices aren't higher. I remember in 2008 when $1.40/litre prices were stressing me out. We thought we'd see $2.00/litre soon. Never happened. 

We need to be moving away from fossil fuels. Carbon taxes are an excellent way to make people consider their transportation choices more carefully. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Aristides said:

England is metric, it's 5.78 M. Rather than trying to convert it, just find out how high your truck is in metres. Simple.

Screw that bullshit. LOL. 

When I have to drive somewhere on some highway in Canada I will see mileage signs saying 400 kilometers to my destination. Gesus, that looks like a long haul to me.

But, put that now in English, that would be approx. 240 miles to my destination. I like to see 240 better. It does not look so far to go now. ?

Edited by taxme

7 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

It's a whole different problem you are describing, as compared to the definition of a unit. There is the definition of it, then there is accuracy. You are describing accuracy. The problem I shewed is not due to accuracy, but to a change in the very definition of it.

Therefore it is nonsensical to use scientifically derived units that are subject to constant change. All we need is a constant that we all agree on.

Any kind of constant at all...

The speed of light is not subject to change and neither is a vacuum. 

Have you had to buy a new ruler or tape measure? How is a foot defined? I'll tell ya. Since 1959, one foot is defined as 0.3048 metres.

Edited by Aristides

2 hours ago, taxme said:

Screw that bullshit. LOL. 

When I have to drive somewhere on some highway in Canada I will see mileage signs saying 400 kilometers to my destination. Gesus, that looks like a long haul to me.

But, put that now in English, that would be approx. 240 miles to my destination. I like to see 240 better. It does not look so far to go now. ?

Bummer. That which doesn't adapt becomes extinct. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Boges said:

We need to be moving away from fossil fuels. Carbon taxes are an excellent way to make people consider their transportation choices more carefully. 

Yes if you live in the city with public transport available, but in rural areas all it does is punishes people that have no choice but to live with it regardless of carbon prices. Taxing the shit out of something and then giving that money back to the population instead of doing something constructive with it is stupid.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, taxme said:

I can remember when the communists tried to have America become metric back when Ronald Reagan was President. And I remember well Reagan saying that there will be not metric for America. His last words on metric were "metric, you have walked your last kilometer". ?

By the sign of it, USA is one of the last remaining dinosaurs on that, breathing their last breath.

11 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Yes if you live in the city with public transport available, but in rural areas all it does is punishes people that have no choice but to live with it regardless of carbon prices. Taxing the shit out of something and then giving that money back to the population instead of doing something constructive with it is stupid.

And those people benefit greatly from a reduced price of Real Estate. 

There are fuel efficient options that don't involve Public Transportation. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

And those people benefit greatly from a reduced price of Real Estate. 

There are fuel efficient options that don't involve Public Transportation. 

They haven't benefited, many have been driven out of cities by the cost of real estate.

City folks would starve in the dark but for rural folks.

Edited by Aristides
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Aristides said:

The speed of light is not subject to change and neither is a vacuum.

The speed of light does change, depending on the amount of vacuum. And also when it passes through any medium.

How is a foot defined? I'll tell ya. Since 1959, one foot is defined as 0.3048 metres.

Since the unit of metre itself changed, that conversion cannot be precise anymore.

It could affect things like GPS, or measurements made at very small distances such as nanometres.

If an electron microscope measures the thickness of a thin plate only a few atoms across, I guess that number has changed now. But only if it is given in meters.

22 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The speed of light does change, depending on the amount of vacuum. And also when it passes through any medium.

Since the unit of metre itself changed, that conversion cannot be precise anymore.

It could affect things like GPS, or measurements made at very small distances such as nanometres.

If an electron microscope measures the thickness of a thin plate only a few atoms across, I guess that number has changed now. But only if it is given in meters.

A vacuum is a vacuum. A vacuum is the absence of a medium. 

26 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The metre itself hasn't changed, it just uses a different constant.

36 minutes ago, Aristides said:

They haven't benefited, many have been driven out of cities by the cost of real estate.

City folks would starve in the dark but for rural folks.

And rural folks wouldn't have a market for the stuff they produce without City Folk. 

Symbiotic relationship. 

I have no sympathy to people who refuse to adapt to the changing landscape regarding Fossil Fuels, and bitch about it. 

The entire developed world is moving towards using fossil fuels less. 

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

A vacuum is a vacuum. A vacuum is the absence of a medium. 

What you are trying to describe is a perfect vacuum. It's difficult to obtain in reality.Even in outeer space there are still molecules per cm3. How much, depends. Nebula are gas clouds.

"Nature abhors a vacuum" is a good, auld adage...

Just now, Boges said:

And rural folks wouldn't have a market for the stuff they produce without City Folk. 

Symbiotic relationship. 

I have no sympathy to people who refuse to adapt to the changing landscape regarding Fossil Fuels, and bitch about it. 

The entire developed world is moving towards using fossil fuels less. 

They may have smaller market but they wont starve in the dark.

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The metre itself hasn't changed, it just uses a different constant.

And the reason for calling it a metre per the original calculations is abandoned. Can't be done. Metric has failed. It should be no surprise. Same as what happened to Fahrenheit.

But that's another story you can go and google. Then come back and tell us what you have learned!

Just now, OftenWrong said:

And the reason for calling it a metre per the original calculations is abandoned. Can't be done. Metric has failed. It should be no surprise. Same as what happened to Fahrenheit.

But that's another story you can go and google. Then come back and tell us what you have learned!

Imperial has failed, there is only one country that still uses it. How do you define a foot then? What is the constant you use to make sure it doesn't change?

27 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Bottom line: If I had used the meter (or is it... metre?) to try and determine the speed of light in the old days, that being a mere three years ago to science, I should have been wrong.

;)

It is meter in English. Metre is french. ?

33 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Bottom line: If I had used the meter (or is it... metre?) to try and determine the speed of light in the old days, that being a mere three years ago to science, I should have been wrong.

;)

I just hate it when I hear someone say the word "hectares". It always sounds like someone has some mucous stuck in their throat. Acres sounds so much better. ?